Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Right now I'm on a family plan on 4 phones with AT&T.

$60 for 700 minutes and the main line

$30 for the 3 other lines

$90 for unlimited data on 3 phones

$30 for unlimited messaging

$210 total.

-------------------------

On t-mobile it's my understanding it'd cost

$30 for unlimited data and messaging, and 100 minutes which is great for 1 line.

$50 for 2 of the lines, which comes with unlimited everything.

Then one line needs just 100 minutes a month.

Total is just over $130

Phones of choice - 2 iPhone 5's, 1 Blackberry. And for the fourth line she has a phone.

Am I missing something or is AT&T super expensive?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Right now I'm on a family plan on 4 phones with AT&T.

$60 for 700 minutes and the main line

$30 for the 3 other lines

$90 for unlimited data on 3 phones

$30 for unlimited messaging

$210 total.

-------------------------

On t-mobile it's my understanding it'd cost

$30 for unlimited data and messaging, and 100 minutes which is great for 1 line.

$50 for 2 of the lines, which comes with unlimited everything.

Then one line needs just 100 minutes a month.

Total is just over $130

Phones of choice - 2 iPhone 5's, 1 Blackberry. And for the fourth line she has a phone.

Am I missing something or is AT&T super expensive?

T-Mobile is a struggling smaller carrier, they don't have AT&T's network maturity or speed. Plus AT&T has better phones. They're trying to stay competitive by still offering unlimited data... in the places that have service. Frankly I don't know why anyone would put their iPhone on T-Mobile unless they got it factory unlocked

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
T-Mobile is a struggling smaller carrier, they don't have AT&T's network maturity or speed. Plus AT&T has better phones. They're trying to stay competitive by still offering unlimited data... in the places that have service. Frankly I don't know why anyone would put their iPhone on T-Mobile unless they got it factory unlocked

I see. Well mine is unlocked...

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
I'm confused about this. I want LTE...does t mobile not do LTE?

You know you've been posting a lot of these threads with obvious questions but since you put at least a little effort in this one I'll help you out. AT&T and T-Mobile frequencies aren't very compatible yet, T-Mobile is reframing it's network for it which will take god knows how long. So no

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I'm confused about this. I want LTE...does t mobile not do LTE?
Do you really need LTE, or do you just want fast speeds? T-mobile has fast speeds in some areas but not others. For that much saved per year, LTE might not be so essential.

This link might help you.

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
If it is unlocked (or AT&T) and not on contract, why not try an unlimited pre-paid plan like evil Wally-Marts Straight Talk. ST uses AT&T's network. They have a BYiPhone option. (not an ad)

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
So let me get this straight.

If I have an AT&T iPhone 5, it might not get fast speeds on t mobiles network bc LTE isn't compatible?

This lte, 4g, hspa+, it's confusing.

I understand 3G on AT&T and 3G on t mobile is similar.

What I'm confused is, if I switch to t mobile why won't I have LTE like I do on AT&T?

And if I get 4G or HSPA+, is that the same speed on AT&T LTE?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
HSPA+ is fake 4G. Faster than standard 3G, not true 4G. LTE is much, much faster.

However, HSPA+ is probably more than fast enough for you, and every single iPhone user on the planet had that or slower speeds until the iPhone 5 came out.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
HSPA+ is fake 4G. Faster than standard 3G, not true 4G. LTE is much, much faster.

However, HSPA+ is probably more than fast enough for you, and every single iPhone user on the planet had that or slower speeds until the iPhone 5 came out.

Ok I see.

Well if all I can get it is HSPA+ on t mobile then I will stay with AT&T.

But why couldn't I get LTE on my iPhone 5 on t mobile?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Ok I see.

They don't have an LTE network yet. Different tech, different equipment needed.

However, I'd seriously consider why you think LTE is so important given the savings you've mentioned - assuming, of course, that T-mobile has coverage in your area.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Ok I see.

You know you've been posting a lot of these threads with obvious questions but since you put at least a little effort in this one I'll help you out. AT&T and T-Mobile frequencies aren't very compatible yet, T-Mobile is reframing it's network for it which will take god knows how long. So no
You don't read a lot

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
They don't have an LTE network yet. Different tech, different equipment needed.

However, I'd seriously consider why you think LTE is so important given the savings you've mentioned - assuming, of course, that T-mobile has coverage in your area.

From the t mobile website it seems like we have between "good" and "very strong" 3G and 4G.

The reason why I want LTE is because 4G on AT&T at least is fairly slow, relatively speaking.

It's nice to have the fastest speeds.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Also a thing to consider about the T-Mobile price is the coverage. I get great AT&T coverage where I am. I get crappy coverage at my house with T-Mobile. So check your coverage, since it doesn't matter how much you pay if you can't use it where you are.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Good, better, best. Haha.
Or, when it is in terms of how fast you can eat through GB: scary, scarier, and scariest.

I like my cellular to be relatively slow (a few MB/sec). Makes it easier to make sure I don't inadvertently pop over my 3GB* max before I know it.

* AT&T "Unlimited", which means 3GB then snail-crawlingly-slow 2G.

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
Or, when it is in terms of how fast you can eat through GB: scary, scarier, and scariest.

I like my cellular to be relatively slow (a few MB/sec). Makes it easier to make sure I don't inadvertently pop over my 3GB* max before I know it.

* AT&T "Unlimited", which means 3GB then snail-crawlingly-slow 2G.

I never understand peoples thinking when they make this statement. How will you be using more data?

If you and i are sitting right next to each other, you with a 4S and I with an iphone 5. We both load the macrumors homepage, i will load it up faster. But not use any more data than you did loading it slower.

Now if having faster internet gets you in the mood for browsing more than you usually do on a 3G connection, thats different.

When i got my iphone 5 i don't use any more data than i did on my 4S. everything is just faster :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.