Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
This is the best move Apple has made since Cook took over.

Not too sad to see Forstall leaving, either.

Getting Ive to lead the Product Design and the UI/Human Interface teams will probably help make Apple's products part of a more coherent hardware/software ecosystem.

Can't wait to see what this means for the end-user!

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
This is the best move Apple has made since Cook took over.

Not too sad to see Forstall leaving, either.

Getting Ive to lead the Product Design and the UI/Human Interface teams will probably help make Apple's products part of a more coherent hardware/software ecosystem.

Can't wait to see what this means for the end-user!

Well this has yet to be determined. Until we see the fruits of his labour we won't know for sure.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
This just feels right.

I hope Ives is in good health to give at least another decade as Jobs did.

I would love to see what Apple is in 2020 under Ives and Cook.

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
It is a decision which makes sense, I think Tim Cook has seen his strengths, seen his cheif designers, seen Apple's, and is moving back towards them.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
How it should be.

I've got to assume that Scott Forstall was the reason that this didn't happen immediately, and it's good that everything is set right now. Frankly, now that Ive has complete control of both hardware and software aesthetics, there's a good chance that stuff will actually get better than before.

That's not to say that Jony Ive has the deep sense of what people actually want versus what they think they want when it comes to a device--though he sure as heck knows what it should look like and how it should be put together--but I also have faith that there's enough brains and skill at the company that he'll have the people to hand it off to when he needs to.

It's also fortunate that, depending on how you look at it, Apple's future is already on the table--at this point the revolution has already been televised, it's just a matter of continuing to make it even more awesome and staying ahead of the curve. Something I'm pretty confident Jony Ive and the guys under him know how to do, now that he has the power to have them do what needs to be done, and do it right.

Sure, there's the Apple TV and maybe some other cool new thing, but that's frankly not the game-changing devices that the iPhone and iPad were and will continue to be, and I'm skeptical anything else will be, either. Those two products are what Apple (or Steve Jobs using Apple) has been trying to build since the '80s--that's what the company existed to produce. Now they've been unleashed on the world, they've already changed everything--it's just a matter of keeping them good. Go to, Jony.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

THIS is the real reason Apple won't be the same company, post Steve Jobs.

I'm not really convinced Ives has the level of commitment and passion for Apple and its products than people seem to assume he does?

After all, this is a guy who was ready to walk out of Apple so he could pursue new/different things, not that long ago! Apple had to make a really sweet deal with him to convince him to stick around.

Sure, he talks a good talk about what he creates. Why wouldn't he? Any artist would do the same. But that doesn't mean he's completely focused on what's best for Apple in the long run.

And Tim Cook? Well, he's a supply chain management guy at the end of the day. His skills lie in doing a good job making sure a company gets a good deal on the components they purchase, and makes sure the inventory is stocked in an optimal manner. Great -- but that's really the "nitty gritty, behind the scenes" stuff companies need. That's not anything that lends itself to leading a company to produce innovative and existing new things and getting buyers all worked up over them.

You can not run the company if you lack passion and commitment to the company and it's products. Tim and Jon are the one.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I was excited to hear about Sir Ive's new role.

Eager to see if Singleton's "spiritual successor" assessment is accurate.
Got a chuckle out of that line.

NoMoreSony

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2012
Seems to me that shareholders not so happy due latest financial results and we have yet to see something really big. Cannot wait for the moment when Ive finally fire Timmy. :p

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
THIS is the real reason Apple won't be the same company, post Steve Jobs.

I'm not really convinced Ives has the level of commitment and passion for Apple and its products than people seem to assume he does?

After all, this is a guy who was ready to walk out of Apple so he could pursue new/different things, not that long ago! Apple had to make a really sweet deal with him to convince him to stick around.

But maybe he was ready to leave because he was ready to lead? we all reach plateaus in our careers and look for the next mountain to scale. Maybe it was a negotiating tactic to find out whether he had a future at the higher (and highest) level of Apple? Driven people don't want to stand still....

(couple of mixed metaphors there, sorry...)

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I just wish Jonny would get over his "thinness" obsession. There is no need for desktops to be anorexic when it compromises the ability of the machine to perform it's functions and bars user upgradeablility

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I just wish Jonny would get over his "thinness" obsession. There is no need for desktops to be anorexic when it compromises the ability of the machine to perform it's functions and bars user upgradeablility

I don't wish that and I disagree. Hope Jony continues the trend. Love the new iMac design. Good riddance ODD. Thanks again Apple. :D

And let's see those 27" high end benchmarks first before we talk about compromising.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So one man cannot replace Jobs, you need 2: Cook and Ive.

If you read the article, the whole point is that it has been two all along - Cook was doing the exact same thing along with Jobs, he just wasn't as visible to the public.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I think this will be Apple's saving grace. Not that they are in decline, by any means, but I think this will help them get back on track after the "unguided" year that 2012 has brought.

This will help to ensure that Apple maintains its edge and innovation for years to come. I'm sure Steve is breathing a sigh of relief.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.