Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Hum, your predictions are unrealistic and some (OLED) would be a step backwards.

My predictions:

Still the same screen size and resolution with IGZO and image quality improvements
Faster processor (custom design)
Faster graphics
12 Mpx camera with improved post processing
Much better battery life
Slightly thinner
NFC for Passbook and new features competitors don't have
Mobile payment and secure authentication
No inductive charging (pointless and makes the phone thicker)
Improved Siri and a couple gimmicky features you may or may not use
UI changes for the sake of change just to shut up the whiners

What do you mean by custom design lol. Clown.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I would tend to think we will get:

-Faster Processor
-Slightly better battery life
-Camera Upgrade
-NFC as the "big" feature (like Siri was for the 4S)

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apple has run out of motivation to create... or so it seems.

Instead they are enjoying the safe, take no chances position of replicating the same flat slab shape, with it's "proven track record".

Held back by their very conservative "keep it simple, sell it to everyone" thinking, and the convincing position they hold... "it's not about specs". It seems that there is indeed little reason to change.

Yet that won't stop them from making the real changes to their sales pitch to ramp up the buzz... a proven method to keep those sales rolling.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Highly doubt the iPhone will get a redesign next year. Im guessing use of liquid metal in 2014 or if not, 2016.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Apple has run out of motivation to create... or so it seems.

Instead they are enjoying the safe, take no chances position of replicating the same flat slab shape, with it's "proven track record".

Held back by their very conservative "keep it simple, sell it to everyone" thinking, and the convincing position they hold... "it's not about specs". It seems that there is indeed little reason to change.

Yet that won't stop them from making the real changes to their sales pitch to ramp up the buzz... a proven method to keep those sales rolling.

Was this supposed to be a response or is it just another soapbox rant? You have the floor to say what you want and instead you launch in some weak spined defeatist rhetoric. It sounds more like you have run out of motivation rather than Apple.

erratikmind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
S.F./Las Vegas
Well, whatever Apple decides to do with the future of the iPhone with regard to upgrades, I'll discover it in some 2 to 3 years.

My current upgrade from the original iP to the iP5 is fantastic. Hopefully, this new device will serve me as well as the previous.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
At this point the iPhone is coming along nicely.

I don't anticipate any form factor changes until the revision after next which may or may not use Liquid Metal in a more substantial way.

I'd like to see NFC not because I think NFC is anything more than a buzzword but who knows what can be done.

I'd like to see 802.11ac for Wifi.

I'd like to see LTE Advanced

I'd like to see 128GB options.

I'd like to see a camera with more optical zoom

I'd like to see support for taking RAW photos.

I'd like to see an A7 processor with PowerVR Rogue graphics and HEVC support

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
What do you mean by custom design lol. Clown.
Designing the ARMv7 CPU architecture themselves rather than following the usual vanilla ARM Cortex designs (A9, A15).

That's what they did for the first time with the A6 in case you didn't know: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/15/apple-a6-processor-a-custom-apple-design-prioritizing-performance-and-power-efficiency/

I expect them to keep making custom CPU designs like that.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Heres my iPhone 6 predictions:

- 4.3" LCD screen.
No.

It will be OLED.
No.

- Liquid metal backing. It will be a thin metal but extra strong to resist scratches and bending.
I would like this. But probably not.

- No more home button.
Because **** switching apps?

- Available in 128GB size
Unless there's a big jump in flash storage technology, no.

- Camera will be 12MP with low light capability.
I don't see this happening. I think they will focus on quality refinement vs. size bump.
No. This technology is USELESS anywhere but the united states.

- Battery life will be 20 hours of WiFi surfing, 18 hours over cellular.
You're dreaming. lmao

- Wireless charging.
Why? This is worthless

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Designing the ARMv7 CPU architecture themselves rather than following the usual vanilla ARM Cortex designs (A9, A15).

That's what they did for the first time with the A6 in case you didn't know: https://www.macrumors.com/20h12/09/15/apple-a6-processor-a-custom-apple-design-prioritizing-performance-and-power-efficiency/

I expect them to keep making custom CPU designs like that.
Hands down you got the explanation but you couldve just skipped that part - I mean sure there's plenty of people who can understand but in the same time you are writing hieroglyphs for the majority of the forum members. Just sayin'.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Hands down you got the explanation but you couldve just skipped that part - I mean sure there's plenty of people who can understand but in the same time you are writing hieroglyphs for the majority of the forum members. Just sayin'.

Let's just say: Apple will keep having a very powerful iPhone that is also very energy-efficient, allowing to have performance that competes with the fastest (and often bulkiest) Android phones while maintaining a very compact form factor.

The fact that the iPhone 5 is currently a beast of performance while being super compact and portable is the result of the hieroglyphs I had previously written :p.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Wall street already saying Tim Cook hasn't come up with something new since Steve jobs death. I would have to say that the next IPHONE has some major changes such as ;

NFC
New Size
Gaming features, such as the vibrate touch screen etc
and a new MYSTERY FEATURE
IOS 7

DJ.Nickk

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Miami,FL

- 4.3" LCD screen. It will be OLED. The screen will be just as tall, but slightly wider.
- Liquid metal backing. It will be a thin metal but extra strong to resist scratches and bending.
- No more home button.
- NFC
- Wireless charging.

0 of those will come true, You clearly don;t know Apple

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
Same as always.

Twice as fast at everything.
Slightly better camera.
Hopefully new design but I doubt it.
Will only include one apple sticker haha.
Will be the exact same price, for slightly better stuff.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
It will be the iPhone 5S, they won't change into a new design next year. The changes in terms of design and features will come from iOS 7 next year.

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012

- 4.3" LCD screen. It will be OLED. The screen will be just as tall, but slightly wider.
- No more home button.
- NFC
- Wireless charging.
I doubt they will get rid of the iconic home button but I think you are probably correct about the other predictions

MacPro23

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
Here's my predictions.

-NFC with iTunes Wallet
-LTE Advanced
-Unlimited data plans
-2272-by-1280 pixel (double 1136-by-640) 4.5 inch screen
-Much better Siri
-Rugged/Waterproof
-Dual flash
-Better speaker/microphone
-1080p HD Facetime camera
-Fingerprint reader on touch screen for passwords/wallet
-No home button
-One universal model
-Apple Wireless
-iTunes subscription service (Movies, TV Shows, and Music)

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
Iphone 5S Predictions

-IOS7
-Up to 128GB storage (optimistic)
-A7 chip made by Apple (like A6/A6X) 1.5-2 times faster CPU and GPU
-10/12 MP camera
-NFC with passbook (optimistic)
-Finger print sensor used for NFC and unlocking screen and typing in all passwords (optimistic)
-No design changes

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Why does everyone think we're going to ditch the home button lol? We need to switch apps homeboys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.