Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Hello all, My workplace provides us with phones. I have a 4s which I have had for a year. It is upgrade time for us and I can get a 5 if I want. No cost to me. So I would like to hear honest opinions / thought from those of you who had a 4s and upgraded to the 5. Are you happy with the change? Would you go back to the 4s if you could? If you liked the 4s better, why? Etc. No hearsay or third person opinions wanted. Only actual experiences. I need to decide in the next couple of days if I want a 5 or keep my 4s.

Many thanks to all. I really appreciate the input!!! :)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I had a 4S for 8 months before the 5 came out. Got the 5 in the first week.

I love it and would never go back to the 4S. The 4S is a great device for sure, but the 5 is so much faster, LTE is lightning fast, it's so light and I appreciate the bigger screen.

I feel that the improvement is enough to justify spending $200 as an upgrade fee (which I did), so for no cost to you, I think it's a no brainer. :D

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
I upgraded from the 4S to the 5 and would not go back. I picked up my 4S the other day and it felt fat, heavy, and slow compared to the 5 I've been using for a month and a half now. If you have the option to upgrade for free I don't see any reason to not take it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If you have to ask, go with 5.

4 is for people who want to stay with the smaller form factor, the 2-side glass finish, no time to deal with something new when old one works just fine. Oh and depends how many 30-pins accessories u have, assuming those u pay yourself.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Look at this from outside your opinion, imagine you are someone else, read the topic title. there's your answer.

jdeepfjj

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
Lol, a free iPhone 5?! No brainer there dude, take it. Only problem im noticing is that if your a music lover i find that the music output through headphones is quieter than the 4S and other apple devices..

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
How many 30 pin accessories do you have, a lot? Are you a road warrior used to propping up your phone in hotel room alarm docs? Do you not have access to Wifi normally at home/ work?

If you answers tend towards YES, YES, NO to the above three questions, I would stick with the iPhone 4s until atleast next year. I presume you can upgrade anytime in the future too? In that case, you can upgrade whenever your situation changes.

chrscap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
Upgrade to i5. why? resale value higher, up-to-date specs and better performance. Dont worry, you'll love it.

Newbie MacUser

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
Don't understand the point of this question.

Neither do I.... I mean every single review on iPhone 5 says it clearly is the best iPhone out there....why bother asking in a blog? Plus the company has the tab for the phone so is it even worth asking the question? Most people on MacRumors don't work for companies that shell out for new phones EVERY year and have to spend their hard earned money on buying it themselves.

Hey who here wants an iPad mini for free even though most people think its over-priced?

irod87

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
I had 4,4S, and 5. Wouldn't go back to a 4 or 4S. 5 is much better. The only thing you might say is better could possibly be the 4S camera but its not that big a difference.

anonymouse99

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Hello all, My workplace provides us with phones. I have a 4s which I have had for a year. It is upgrade time for us and I can get a 5 if I want. No cost to me. So I would like to hear honest opinions / thought from those of you who had a 4s and upgraded to the 5. Are you happy with the change? Would you go back to the 4s if you could? If you liked the 4s better, why? Etc. No hearsay or third person opinions wanted. Only actual experiences. I need to decide in the next couple of days if I want a 5 or keep my 4s.

I just got my first iPhone -> the i5, my family has the 4S. It is relatively lighter, and the bigger aspect ratio makes sense to me. If you're absolutely fixated with Google Maps app then stay with your iPhone4S :D

One thing though, the iPhone5 is lighter, and it just feels a tad fragile. I purchased an Otterbox commuter case to ensure that the body is protected from any scratches, and to prevent it from any kind of minor bending, accidental dropping of the unit.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

What the hell man?? It's a FREE iPhone 5, just take it. Keep your 4S at the same time. Don't like the 5, go back to 4S.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
So I would like to hear honest opinions / thought from those of you who had a 4s and upgraded to the 5. Are you happy with the change? Would you go back to the 4s if you could? If you liked the 4s better, why? Etc. No hearsay or third person opinions wanted. Only actual experiences. I need to decide in the next couple of days if I want a 5 or keep my 4s.
Subjective matter. You need to decide based on your own criteria. Polling is never the way to determine one's preferences.

resale value higher
Not sure how that's relevant with a company-supplied device.

Don't understand the point of this question.
Same as every other "spoon feed me an answer" question. A huge number of threads share that point.

If you have to ask, go with 5.
If you have to ask then try spending a few minutes to think on the matter.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Not Sure...

What the hell man?? It's a FREE iPhone 5, just take it. Keep your 4S at the same time. Don't like the 5, go back to 4S.

IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

Not sure if I can keep the 4s or not. They may want it to be traded in. If I knew I could keep the 4s too, I would definitely try the 5. Then if I didn't like it, I could switch back I assume. I know many have said to get the 5 for sure. I asked this question because of all the negative stuff about the 5, blemishes, really bad battery life, weak Wi-Fi, etc. I just didn't want to switch and then regret it. Thanks.

----------

Neither do I.... I mean every single review on iPhone 5 says it clearly is the best iPhone out there....why bother asking in a blog? Plus the company has the tab for the phone so is it even worth asking the question? Most people on MacRumors don't work for companies that shell out for new phones EVERY year and have to spend their hard earned money on buying it themselves.

Hey who here wants an iPad mini for free even though most people think its over-priced?

Well, we don't get paid too much, haven't had a raise in 4 years, but at least we get free phones (either iOS or Android). :eek:

As for the iPad Mini comment, that is not an accurate analogy. A better one might be you have an iPad 3 but can trade for an iPad Mini, who would do that? Not entirely accurate analogy, I know. Just don't want to regret my decision.

Thanks!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
At first, I was a bit skeptical of upgrading to the 5 from my 4S because of the problems people were having with it. I bit the bullet and pre-ordered one anyway. I can honestly say that I could not go back to my 4S after upgrading to the 5. I really love the bigger screen (as much as I said I really didn't want it) and I love how it's slimmer compared to the 4S. So if you have the opportunity to upgrade at no charge to you, then you should absolutely do it.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
If you're hard on phones, then you have to consider that the 5 is much more fragile than the 4S. It will scuff like crazy and possible bend if you work a lot with your phone in your pocket.

If neither of these is a concern, it's a no brainer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.