Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Dont worry about those things... Just use your phone like any other phone and if it falls... Well, thats part of life

This.

I stopped worrying about my iPhone being perfect with the 4S. It had an inch-long hairline scratch right down the middle of the screen that you could only see in certain light, I resisted the urge to have it replaced, and you know what? I stopped caring about it and just used the phone, and it stopped bothering me. I'll bet I could find hairline scratches on my 5 too, but I don't care enough to inspect it to find out. Just use the phone, enjoy the design, and try to be careful with it.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Hi all. Hoping there have been iPhone users similar to me, and who can give me some advice to get over something so stupid.

Some things to know:

- I bought a new iPhone 5, white, 64GB one week ago.
- Since then, I have been obsessing over keeping it mint condition. Every time I use it, I wipe it down, check for scratches etc.
- In the first week I have also noticed 3 very small chips/dents on the back of my iPhone - no bloody clue how they got there, especially since I am so careful. This has thoroughly pissed me off, it's doing my head in.
- I now have a good quality, "Belkin Grip Candy Sheer - Black and Green" case.

I have never been so obsessed with the maintenance of a device like I have with this phone, it's absolutely RIDICULOUS. It's gotten to a point where I look at my iPhone, and don't want to use it, because I don't want to wreck it anymore (as said before, I've already somehow chipped the back 3 times). I literally GET A HEADACHE every time I stare at it now, because all these 'OCD' thoughts arise, eg "OMG, what if dust/sand has gotten into the case" or "Does my iPhone look a bit dented?" or "Is the white getting dirty!?". I don't even feel like going near it now, it's gotten THAT bad.

I want to keep it as clean as possible because I like having my products in a very good condition, plus it would be nice if I could sell it in a years time when the next iPhone comes out.

I feel like a complete idiot, which I am, but I was wondering how I could get over this. Any tips/advice?

Thanks

This will solve all of your problems:
http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/tc/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd-medications

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2009
So what is so special about apple care? It's $99 for two years and if you want to change a phone its $49? So its actually $150? and how much is an out of warranty replacement? $199? What if you didn't need to use applecare during the life of your phone right?

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Hi all. Hoping there have been iPhone users similar to me, and who can give me some advice to get over something so stupid.

Some things to know:

- Since then, I have been obsessing over keeping it mint condition. Every time I use it, I wipe it down, check for scratches etc.
- In the first week I have also noticed 3 very small chips/dents on the back of my iPhone - no bloody clue how they got there, especially since I am so careful. This has thoroughly pissed me off, it's doing my head in.

I have never been so obsessed with the maintenance of a device like I have with this phone, it's absolutely RIDICULOUS. It's gotten to a point where I look at my iPhone, and don't want to use it, because I don't want to wreck it anymore (as said before, I've already somehow chipped the back 3 times). I literally GET A HEADACHE every time I stare at it now, because all these 'OCD' thoughts arise, eg "OMG, what if dust/sand has gotten into the case" or "Does my iPhone look a bit dented?" or "Is the white getting dirty!?". I don't even feel like going near it now, it's gotten THAT bad.

I want to keep it as clean as possible because I like having my products in a very good condition, plus it would be nice if I could sell it in a years time when the next iPhone comes out.

I feel like a complete idiot, which I am, but I was wondering how I could get over this. Any tips/advice?

Thanks

Dont forget to check for bending also. that is a possible danger

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I wonder how many people who obsess heavily are fairly new to owning iPhones?

I was a little obsessed over my first gen back in 2007. I mean, I had to pay cash out of pocket for that baby. No subsidy. I wanted it to stay in good shape.

Soo... I slapped a screen protector on it, and messed around with case until I found one I could tolerate that didn't make my phone feel bulky. By the end of that first year? I was carrying it around with no case and just a screen protector. :)

With each generation, I've been more lax.

I didn't have a screen protector at all on my 4s. It never got scratched. I did, however, keep my 4 and my 4s in cases. I knew I'd crack some glass otherwise.

I don't have a screen protector on my 5. I have a Speck Candyshell on it, because I know the scratches would bug the hell outta me.

I think I may have to break down and slap a screen protector on this thing, too. The glass coating on this 5 is NOT as scratch resistant as the coatings on the 4 and the 4s.

That's a bit of a bummer. I love it minus a screen protector. Thing is, all my earrings are diamond studs and they bump against the screen when I make a call. Soo.... yeah. Gotta get a screen protector. Dammit.

Dunno yet whether I'd "find a problem" with it and do a swap to get a pristine phone before I cover it with a protector. This one has actually had a bit of a problem locking up between screens and I was waiting to see how that settles down since the iOS update.

Decisions, decisions.

At the end of the day, I'd rather a working phone than a mint condition phone. It is a smart phone, not a Faberge egg.

:D

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Some things to know:

Thanks
My advice... return the iPhone 5, buy an Android smartphone for everyday use, and buy a 64GB 5G iPod Touch.

If using your iPhone is causing you so much anxiety it appears that you are more enamored with owning an iPhone not using one.

Having said that, I can totally understand being overly concerned with owning a 64GB iPhone 5. That is quite an expensive phone.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
My advice... return the iPhone 5, buy an Android smartphone for everyday use, and buy a 64GB 5G iPod Touch.

If using your iPhone is causing you so much anxiety it appears that you are more enamored with owning an iPhone not using one.

Having said that, I can totally understand being overly concerned with owning a 64GB iPhone 5. That is quite an expensive phone.

Yeah... it's a bit more thought provoking when you own a 64GB. My 4s was a 64GB, as is my 5. My 4 was a 32GB.

I bought AppleCare+ for the first time with this iPhone 5. I dunno why, but I had a feeling I might need it. :)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I literally GET A HEADACHE every time I stare at it now, because all these 'OCD' thoughts arise, eg "OMG, what if dust/sand has gotten into the case" or "Does my iPhone look a bit dented?" or "Is the white getting dirty!?". I don't even feel like going near it now, it's gotten THAT bad.

My advice would be to sell it and get something that doesn't cause you so much stress.

gooberq

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
I had this same issue, when the iphone 5 got a big scratch at the back i stopped worrying and stopped looking for small scratches :) it could not get any worse than this, unless until the glass breaks.

LearnIIBurn

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Since I got my white iPhone 64GB I've been drinking an immense amount of vodka to drown the OCD, pain, and insanity it has brought into my life. My girlfriend decided to leave me and move to Hawaii with a tanner and soberer man with an iPhone 4S that is very scratched.

His life must be so simple, with all the scratches on his phone he must have spent so much money on mental therapy.

He now has my girlfriend, waves, a broze body, coconuts.

I have vodka, a bad hangover always, and a super clean iPhone 5. Life is good.

RTbar

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2011
Kind of on topic...

Today I went into the sprint store to get my phone activated and wanted to knock out my service rep. This big fat sloth snatched my phone from my hand and used his greasy cheetoh fingers to rip the phone out of its case. I'm pretty sure the tpu lost some of its flexibility due to being stretched out. Then he walks away from me, twirling my case around and banging it on everything he passes by. He then proceeds to slam my phone down on the counter and SLIDE IT ACROSS to another rep. Both of them picked the phone up for no good reason every 5 seconds, slide it around the dirty table and haphazardly slammp the phone down when they are done with it. This could be read as sarcastic and mocking of people obsessive over their phones, but its not meant to be- this actually happened and I was really furious. Luckily there were no scratched or dents due to the mauling, but the obsessive compulsive in me knows that deep down this phone has been sullied and I will never feel the same about it.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
kind of on topic...

Today i went into the sprint store to get my phone activated and wanted to knock out my service rep. This big fat sloth snatched my phone from my hand and used his greasy cheetoh fingers to rip the phone out of its case. I'm pretty sure the tpu lost some of its flexibility due to being stretched out. Then he walks away from me, twirling my case around and banging it on everything he passes by. He then proceeds to slam my phone down on the counter and slide it across to another rep. Both of them picked the phone up for no good reason every 5 seconds, slide it around the dirty table and haphazardly slammp the phone down when they are done with it. This could be read as sarcastic and mocking of people obsessive over their phones, but its not meant to be- this actually happened and i was really furious. Luckily there were no scratched or dents due to the mauling, but the obsessive compulsive in me knows that deep down this phone has been sullied and i will never feel the same about it.

GaM3 0v3r BRAH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.