Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Good, so you didn't nuke the recovery partition.

Did your iLife apps come back, or do you have to download them from the App Store, or is that option even available?

If he downloaded the OS from apple, doesn't that mean the recovery partition was gone?

I thought the recovery partition had a full copy of the OS in it, therefore no need to download it from apple.

StevenT42

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2010
If he downloaded the OS from apple, doesn't that mean the recovery partition was gone?

I thought the recovery partition had a full copy of the OS in it, therefore no need to download it from apple.

If he did command-R, that means he got to the recovery partition. The OS in the recovery partition is partial, not full.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
If he did command-R, that means he got to the recovery partition. The OS in the recovery partition is partial, not full.

And my understanding is that you can't overwrite it, at least not on a Mac.

And even if you do, you can still use Internet recovery, even with a completely blank hard rive.

tears2040

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2010
And my understanding is that you can't overwrite it, at least not on a Mac.

And even if you do, you can still use Internet recovery, even with a completely blank hard rive.

Exactly........

Let these people think what they want, if he downloaded from servers it is exactly what I mentioned.

Good job OP.

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
All the iLife apps come back. My hard drive(in fact is a SSD) I put in the mini was empty. Basically I hold command+R when booting up, it automatically downloaded 10.8.1 and all the apps.

There is a tape between the sata cable and hard drive connection originally, genius bar might be able to look at that and determine the hard drive was taken out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.