Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
I decided it was probably time to update to 10.7.5 on my 1,1 2X2.0GHZ mac pro so I did. I "had" a GT430 in there with the 10.7.4 drivers installed, I understand that it may not be the best card in the world but it got me through the day. The computer resets and everything is going fine so I decide to go take a shower and turn off my tv I use for a monitor. I come back and turn it on and it just sits at sky blue. I recreated the problem with same conclusion, having to have to press power button to restart every time. Maybe this is a driver issue I think so I go and find the NVIDIA driver for 10.7.5 and go and try and install it. "This computer doesnt support GeForce or Quadro graphics" So now I'm stuck with my 1900XT till I can either get a refurb 21.5in Imac on tuesday or figure out how to fix this one. Anyone have any knowledge they would like to share and save this broke college student?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I decided it was probably time to update to 10.7.5 on my 1,1 2X2.0GHZ mac pro so I did. I "had" a GT430 in there with the 10.7.4 drivers installed, I understand that it may not be the best card in the world but it got me through the day. The computer resets and everything is going fine so I decide to go take a shower and turn off my tv I use for a monitor. I come back and turn it on and it just sits at sky blue. I recreated the problem with same conclusion, having to have to press power button to restart every time. Maybe this is a driver issue I think so I go and find the NVIDIA driver for 10.7.5 and go and try and install it. "This computer doesnt support GeForce or Quadro graphics" So now I'm stuck with my 1900XT till I can either get a refurb 21.5in Imac on tuesday or figure out how to fix this one. Anyone have any knowledge they would like to share and save this broke college student?

Why don't you slap in an ATI Radeon HD 5770 in that sucker? Technically, it's not supposed to be compatible, but you ought to be fine, you just won't get PCIe 2.0 speeds. They're pricey from Apple, but I'm sure you can find the Mac Pro compatible card on eBay with little trouble and for not THAT much.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Well I've looked into and at that time they were 150-200 on eBay. Maybe I'll find a deal on eBay. Just any brand and will I end up with the same problems if there's a Mac update? I have a cable that goes to 1900xt now ( 6pin molex?) Do I need another one?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
"This computer doesnt support GeForce or Quadro graphics"

If you're getting this message, right click on .pkg and "show package contents". Then navigate to Content\Packages, double click on "webDriverPayload_something.pkg" and installation should start without checking your hardware.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
If you're getting this message, right click on .pkg and "show package contents". Then navigate to Content\Packages, double click on "webDriverPayload_something.pkg" and installation should start without checking your hardware.
OMG YOU ARE MY HERO. I read that and realized I forgot to do that. After doing that and swapping cards still got nowhere. When I went to shut down computer to put in GT430 a black box came up with something about how there was a problem and I needed to shut down computer. Pretty much a BSOD.
Why don't you slap in an ATI Radeon HD 5770 in that sucker? Technically, it's not supposed to be compatible, but you ought to be fine, you just won't get PCIe 2.0 speeds. They're pricey from Apple, but I'm sure you can find the Mac Pro compatible card on eBay with little trouble and for not THAT much.

Even without PCIe 2.0 speeds will I see an increase in performance for say playing World of Warcraft or using Photoshop CS5.5?

Last edited:

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
OMG YOU ARE MY HERO. I read that and realized I forgot to do that. After doing that and swapping cards still got nowhere. When I went to shut down computer to put in GT430 a black box came up with something about how there was a problem and I needed to shut down computer. Pretty much a BSOD.

This was a known issue with GF106/GF108 cards from what I could tell, it's been fixed in Mountain Lion so hopefully it'll be fixed in Lion as well. I had a GTS 450 that behaved exactly like that with 10.8, but the web driver for 10.8.1 fixed my issues.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
Guy is maybe selling a 5770 on craigslist.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858 do i need any extra cables?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
When I went to shut down computer to put in GT430 a black box came up with something about how there was a problem and I needed to shut down computer. Pretty much a BSOD.

I presume that you did install right one: http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-295.00.05f02-driver.html
Check if all needed kexts are installed properly. Just check their creation dates. It should be 6.10.2012. If you'll see earlier date replace needed kexts manually (extract them using Pacifist then install using Kext helper or similar utility). Do not forget to repair permissions after that.

If you have some time to lose, you can try clean 10.7 install on spare drive, then 10.7.5 combo and finally the driver. That way you'll ultimately know if it's card-driver combo bug.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
maybe just go back to 10.7.4 or up to 10.8.2

Sounds like there isn't an answer in 10.7.5

well its a 1,1 so pretty sure ML isnt supported, is there a way to back to 10.7.4 drivers or completely remove them?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
well its a 1,1 so pretty sure ML isnt supported, is there a way to back to 10.7.4 drivers or completely remove them?

Sure, go to yesterday's backup.

If your system isn't important enough for you to do back ups, you have to reinstall Lion and update to 10.7.4.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Can you check the system log (/var/log/system.log) for any error messages that mention "NVDA"?

ezortman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2010
I had to roll back to 10.7.4 on my 1,1 also, and the time machine backup did not work. I jumped back 2 days; and started having consistent lockups, likely video driver, based on my review of the logs.

Gave it a day to try and figure out, then went ahead and reloaded 10.7 from a USB Drive, and then manually did the patches .1 to .4 downloaded from the support site. By not wiping the SSD (my boot disk) and just reinstalling 10.7, it kept all my user data and apps.

Waited 2 days uptime between each patch to ensure no problems or further lockups. Back at .4, and no issues, been on for 7 days uptime; lots of hours of WoW playing, 1080P edge to edge pixel.

Rolled back cause 10.7.5 changed the way my 6870 output to my 40" Sony TV, unable to go to 1080P with WoW. Drawback is that 10.7.4 does not let me install iPhoto or other newer Apple software. App store indicates I need to install .5, so no go.

Arkados

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2010
I had to roll back to 10.7.4 on my 1,1 also, and the time machine backup did not work. I jumped back 2 days; and started having consistent lockups, likely video driver, based on my review of the logs.

Gave it a day to try and figure out, then went ahead and reloaded 10.7 from a USB Drive, and then manually did the patches .1 to .4 downloaded from the support site. By not wiping the SSD (my boot disk) and just reinstalling 10.7, it kept all my user data and apps.

Waited 2 days uptime between each patch to ensure no problems or further lockups. Back at .4, and no issues, been on for 7 days uptime; lots of hours of WoW playing, 1080P edge to edge pixel.

Rolled back cause 10.7.5 changed the way my 6870 output to my 40" Sony TV, unable to go to 1080P with WoW. Drawback is that 10.7.4 does not let me install iPhoto or other newer Apple software. App store indicates I need to install .5, so no go.
k. Im work started the reinstallation of 10.7 before i left. Thank you for saying you manually updated to 10.7.4 i wouldve ended up doing it through system update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.