Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Touché ;)

I'd love for 10.9 and iOS 7 to have some real UI unification. No more cluttered contextual menus.

No more triplicates in the "open with" section.

More user controlled editing of how information is conveyed.

Ugh..

Frankly, I HATE the iOSfication of MacOS X... It sucks. If this just leads to more of that crap.. Along with more anorexic disposable "appliances" that are intended to be tossed every two years....

I see nothing good ahead.. I see Apple becoming the next Sony.. Alienating the "loyalists", the "Evangelists", then only being one or two flops away from irrelevance..

I want to be wrong.. I want to believe..

But, the best I feel about any of this lately is, "Meh".

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
After all, this is a guy who was ready to walk out of Apple so he could pursue new/different things, not that long ago! Apple had to make a really sweet deal with him to convince him to stick around.

I think this might have been due to the apparent disagreement with Scott Forstall. I don't doubt Jony Ive's commitment to Apple.

But I don't see Jony Ive as the replacement for Steve Jobs. I think Apple are right in not even trying to replace him. Cook, Ive and Schiller are a team that are strong together.

My guess is we don't see Jony Ive presenting at the keynotes is because he is not comfortable doing so. But that is OK, as he is a very good designer. I am looking forward to seeing the results of his work on the software side.

Journeyman79

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Liverpool, England.
Touché ;)

I'd love for 10.9 and iOS 7 to have some real UI unification. No more cluttered contextual menus.

No more triplicates in the "open with" section.

More user controlled editing of how information is conveyed.

I personally think this is the end for OS X and iOS. We have entered into a new generation of computing with Retina displays etc and its always been felt that ios and os x have been patched up to fit these new technologies. They are both a mess... Skeumorphisms, last remnants of Aqua, and the half introduction of the black ios theme into os x.

For me, the handing over of everything visual to Ive means one thing... that OS 11 could be upon us! Completely redesigned to match up to the newest generation of computers / tablets / phones. ONE operating system for all 3, designed visually by Ive to match the hardware, also designed by Ive.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Have we heard anything from Ive himself about all this? That is, how he feels taking on this extra stuff? I totally agree this could rock for making the future Apple products completely mind blowing, but then it could also burn Jony's mind straight away. Steve was a unique sort of guy. He spent all his time thinking about stuff like this, pursued it with some kind of strange, super-strong passion that you don't really see anywhere. Ive has always struck me as much more reserved; I wouldn't say he's dispassionate, but I might say he was loving his niche and perhaps didn't necessarily campaign for this as much as it was thrust upon him.

I just hope he doesn't get so stressed that he just tosses it all...

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I think this might have been due to the apparent disagreement with Scott Forstall. I don't doubt Jony Ive's commitment to Apple.

But I don't see Jony Ive as the replacement for Steve Jobs. I think Apple are right in not even trying to replace him. Cook, Ive and Schiller are a team that are strong together.

My guess is we don't see Jony Ive presenting at the keynotes is because he is not comfortable doing so. But that is OK, as he is a very good designer. I am looking forward to seeing the results of his work on the software side.

"Cook, Ive and Schiller are a team that are strong together."

I couldn't agree more. Here's an article arguing your point;

http://more-real.com/blog/2012/10/31/the-all-new-apple-the-head-the-heart-and-the-voice

----------

I personally think this is the end for OS X and iOS. We have entered into a new generation of computing with Retina displays etc and its always been felt that ios and os x have been patched up to fit these new technologies. They are both a mess... Skeumorphisms, last remnants of Aqua, and the half introduction of the black ios theme into os x.

For me, the handing over of everything visual to Ive means one thing... that OS 11 could be upon us! Completely redesigned to match up to the newest generation of computers / tablets / phones. ONE operating system for all 3, designed visually by Ive to match the hardware, also designed by Ive.

Wouldn't that be awesome.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I don't wish that and I disagree. Hope Jony continues the trend. Love the new iMac design. Good riddance ODD. Thanks again Apple. :D

And let's see those 27" high end benchmarks first before we talk about compromising.

mobile gpu over a desktop gpu? - I just can't wrap my head around that... It'll never beat the benchmarks of a real desktop computer.

does the iMac run on batteries?

quincy164

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
Very good move and shows great confidence on Cook's part. However, while Ive can do a great job with design, the far tougher part is envisioning new products. That was Jobs's true genius and the real hard thing to replace.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
"Jony Ive is now the spiritual successor for Steve Jobs at Apple."

The word spiritual has a different meaning for me.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Not that it will affect my buying decision in any way, because I'm all over the products, but, I feel like the last lonely guy that likes the skeuomorphic design. What a lonely and disappointing world. :)

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
Jony Ive isn't just smaller and thinner than Steve Jobs. He is a distillation of Steve.....

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
I just wish Jonny would get over his "thinness" obsession. There is no need for desktops to be anorexic when it compromises the ability of the machine to perform it's functions and bars user upgradeablility

Ive's wants to be thin. Someone buy him a juice machine already.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
i still feel Apple without SJ has lost the crazy drive and inspiration that Apple Needs,he might have been difficult at times and downright contrary but look where they got to, nothing Apple has done since SJ,s passing has inspired me ( actually its worse than that the products i feel are not hitting the mark and are always short of greatness always holding back, maybe the reserve is running dry) and it makes me sad and worried for the future.
Maybe with Ives in this role we might see some Apple greatness once again but i think they need to pull their finger out and get on with it the competition will only get tougher.
These are just my personal thoughts and opinions and i do not wish to upset anyone.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
So following Microsoft's lead with Windows 8 :)

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I feel like the last lonely guy that likes the skeuomorphic design. What a lonely and disappointing world. :)

I like some of it. I love that the textures you get on screens aren't flat. Paper has a grain, and the linen thing never bugged me at all. All the leather stuff is pushing it. The podcasting revox and game table stuff is idiotic. I guess what I'm saying is there's a way to do it well, and Apple's been shooting far beyond that point for a long time.

Dgail

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Mt. Hood to Puget Sound
Jony Ives

Very good move and shows great confidence on Cook's part. However, while Ive can do a great job with design, the far tougher part is envisioning new products. That was Jobs's true genius and the real hard thing to replace.

Agreed, I do hope he retains some of the skeumorphic design we have all come to love, like the trash. Google changed some of their icons and when I have to visit their web page on the Windows workstations at work, it drives me crazy as they take too long to figure them out.

Back to Jony, would love to see him at some of the launches, to hear him speak about "allooominium"!:cool:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
mobile gpu over a desktop gpu? - I just can't wrap my head around that... It'll never beat the benchmarks of a real desktop computer.

does the iMac run on batteries?

No, of course not. But the "thinness" require compromised thermal solutions. And the mobile CPU/GPU produce less heat and require smaller cooling support which gives a good baseline.

Apple never want to "just" beat in a benchmark; they want to win the heart of the user by providing a good design and smooth running system.
And mostly they achieve that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.