Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Both products are so awesome, but seeing one makes you realize the inherent flaws in the other.

The iPad mini has one of the best form factors of any device I've ever used, but the screen is mediocre when compared to the iPad 4.

Simple right? Go buy the iPad 4. I did just that. Once spoiled by the size of the mini, the iPad feels like a dated device. We know that it lacks the styling cues of the current generation and will be refreshed next year to be in line with the mini and iPhone 5 and obviously thinner and lighter is coming next.

Epitome of first world problem, but this is also the paradox of having too many choices. Buying both makes starving African children cry, so time to pick! I'm happy with either, but I find myself in a unique situation where Apple doesn't have the obvious product answer that is a knockout when compared to the competition.

tl;dr....interesting point in time for the iPad line. Buy what you want and be happy :)

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Buy what you want and be happy

^^

This.

I bought an iPad 4th Gen and have been extremely happy with it. Sure the Mini is "new" and exciting but I figure what's the point in having a bigger phone (3.5" to 4") and a smaller iPad (9.7-7.9). I'd rather have the gorgeous screen and bigger display.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2012
This is similar to how I feel. I have had every version of iPad and loved them but always wished for a 'mini' version of the iPad that would be infinitely more portable and convenient to use, especially for my work. At long last the iPad mini finally exists and I am sure I will love the form (had to go LTE so still waiting eagerly) but in playing with my wife's wifi iPad mini I cannot help but notice the resolution problem. I understand and mostly accept why Apple didn't put a retina display in the mini but that doesn't change the fact that it is very noticeable. Apple spoiled me with retina everything and now I feel as if I will be left wanting more once I finally get my mini...

Oh well, at least eBay will be around when the iPad mini 2 comes out hopefully with retina.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
If I buy the 4 next year I will want the mini with the new screen.

If I buy the mini next year I will want the new mini with better screen.

*******. Don't know what to do.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Buy the cheapest model of whatever form factor you choose, and sell in 11 months...recoup most of your money and upgrade to next years model. Can't really help you decide between the mini or 4 since that's mostly personal preference.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I agree. Seeing the iPad 4 makes you realize that the screen on the mini is not quite up to par, but holding the iPad mini makes you realize that the weight, thickness, and heat (and battery life) of the iPad 4 are all compromises made to accommodate that retina display. All of this is why I'm thinking I should just keep my iPad 2, and see what the next generation brings.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
"Happiness is not having what you want. It is wanting what you have."

Tablets are a dime a dozen now. They come in all flavors, shapes, sizes. Close your eyes and pick one and be happy with it. After all, it's just another tablet on the market and there will always be something else around the corner to replace it.

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
FL
just get a refurb 3 then when the 5 comes out it will be worth the upgrade..

I'm torn between the 3 and 4 myself.. Apple will probably keep the A6X in the 5 model and just do a redesign and maybe some new features..

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Shouldn't be this hard to choose a tablet. Pick the one that suits your uses.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
I also think it's a tough time as iPad will be refreshed to be thinner, lighter, etc. and the mini's screen is not ideal. I ended up choosing the Mini though and am perfectly happy. After using it for a few hours I could never go back to the current full-sized iPad, which is unwieldy for my uses. I will keep Mini and sell it next year to upgrade to retina if that comes out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.