Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Naturally, not being an expert I'm allowed to be wrong.

But isn't the switch from custom chips to intel one of the main reasons Apple started gaining a foothold in consumer/developer interest?

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
Here's what they'll do. They'll make their own chips so they won't have to pay the intel premium anymore, but they'll charge just as much, if not, more for their new "A13" powered laptops. And the most powerful programs they'll be able to run is the same garbage that's on iOS.

Apple, please don't.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Sounds like a really, really bad idea. :(

Some of us depend on Windows virtualization. It's a necessary evil.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Naturally, not being an expert I'm allowed to be wrong.

But isn't the switch from custom chips to intel one of the main reasons Apple started gaining a foothold in consumer/developer interest?

For computers but Apple's largest money maker runs ARM chips so even if their Macs stopped selling as much because of a move away from Intel they'd still be fine.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
You would need to know what ARM has in the next few years. For that we wait and see.

Unlikely that ARM has compatibility with Intel chips. So Windows won't run and tons of Mac OSX software will need to be repurchased. Regardless how good ARM chips get compared to Intel at that time the switch will be a pain.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Unlikely that ARM has compatibility with Intel chips. So Windows won't run and tons of software will need to be repurchased. Regardless how good ARM chips get compared to Intel at that time the switch will be a pain.

Folks ..there are plenty of people that run Macs and don't give a flying $%^&*( about running Windows.

Business are moving to tablets and even Microsoft is supporting ARM.

X86. Put a fork in it.

Nathan20

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
If it benefits the consumer then they should go for it.

Can see this happening for OS XI

Hessel

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2011
Renkum
and Apple isn't the only one. Microsoft is experimenting with it too, with it's ARM version of Windows 8; Windows RT.

not to mention all the android based products that are also running on ARM processors. I think Intel is going to have a tough road ahead!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I just posted speculation about this in the Mac Pro forum yesterday. It's been an obvious step for the past year or two.

If Apple can gear up serious processors, and why not, they can switch to designing their own and then being able to engineer their own timetables as the hardware needs instead of waiting for Intel to come up with a McProcesssor they can use.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Unless they have a way to be able to run windows as well as it is run now in Fusion etc., this will be a very bad idea. Doesn't matter how much power they save etc., the ability to run windows was one of the reasons I came back to the mac.

This is true for a lot of enterprises I imagine. I have a MacBook Pro at work because I do a lot of FCP work. But my company was more than happy to buy one because I could also have everything I needed on the PC side via Fusion.

If Fusion wasn't an option - I would likely have to switch to Adobe Premier and/or have two systems. And since there's a lot of legacy videos in FCP - that could be a huge pain for updated those videos.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I see a lot of whining and handwringing over a "rumour". Give me a break.
:rolleyes:
If they do start looking into ARM then they would most likely resurrect the Universal Binary and just start encouraging developers to target both architectures. Not a big deal. They would continue to sell both side by side for a while and let the market decide.

Stop panicking. Microsoft is testing the waters with the ARM based surface right? Are you panicking over that?

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Remember how Apple had x86 OS X being developed alongside PPC OS X? Wouldn't surprise me one bit that Apple has the same going on with ARM

You are probably right Sneakz. It also makes sense if they keep pushing OSX closer to iOS. Apple has the money to do it. The benefit would be not having to wait on Intel for processors. I think Intel is mainly to blame for the lagging update for the Mac Pro in my opinion.

bse3

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
This is the reason I;m waiting for the 2013 iMacs and beyond, I can sit and wait as I have 2011 Model but like the design of new iMacs besides Apple always bumps things on 2 Gens. Hope this is one of them.

Although the article says they won't change for a few years, hope thats wrong.

Why would you want a way slower CPU in your computer?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
One of the huge advantages of Apple going x86 was the ability to basically run any x86/x86-64 OS at close to native speeds (not including GPU). I do this now with daily running Windows XP, Windows 7, RedHat EL 4,5 and 6 VMs.

Going to ARM or some other custom route would negate that.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Stop panicking. Microsoft is testing the waters with the ARM based surface right? Are you panicking over that?

Panicking? No - people are just voicing their concerns.

And why would people panic over what Microsoft is doing if they own Macs? Most people here, I'm assuming, who are responding to this news have Macs.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Remember how Apple had x86 OS X being developed alongside PPC OS X? Wouldn't surprise me one bit that Apple has the same going on with ARM

You mean like how Linux is developed for :

- x86
- MIPS
- SPARC
- PPC
- Alpha
- ARM
- IA64
- tons of others I'm not thinking...

:rolleyes: There is nothing surprising about Apple having a portable codebase if a bunch of open source hippies can do it.

But ARM ? ARM ? What's the value there ? Performance per watt is no better than Intel. The reason ARM processors are so energy efficient today is because they lack the sheer number crunching capabilities of x86 chips. Intel proved with Medfield that x86 is as power efficient as ARM, if they also sacrifice number crunching. There's even an Android phone that runs on a Medfield SoC!

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
One of the huge advantages of Apple going x86 was the ability to basically run any x86/x86-64 OS at close to native speeds (not including GPU). I do this now with daily running Windows XP, Windows 7, RedHat EL 4,5 and 6 VMs.

Going to ARM or some other custom route would negate that.

It's not important anymore. Mobile generates 60% or more of Apple's profits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.