Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Great to see a 3rd party Lightning cord but I will just stick with my USB car charger adapter.
I purchased an extra USB/Lightning cord from Apple but I would also like to be able to charge other devices.

nope these things are proven to degrade battery life

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
No USB

I'm sure that Belkin was not allowed to have a separate USB/Lighting cable per Apple's wishes. I'm guessing Apple has these cables on lock down. Just my thoughts.

I however already had a Belkin Micro USB/Car port and just bought an additional Lighting cable from Apple. Still have my other 30 Pin USB cable for my Girlfriends 4s.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Great to see a 3rd party Lightning cord but I will just stick with my USB car charger adapter.
I purchased an extra USB/Lightning cord from Apple but I would also like to be able to charge other devices.

This is what I use...I have two lighting cables (iP5 and Mini) and I used one in my car, and just one in the house.

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco
Hmmmm... That Lightning connector on the car charger (as pictured) looks way too big to fit through the opening on my iPhone 5's case (a Switcheasy Tones)...

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Just a heads up if it isnt already mentioned - the dock does NOT include a cable. You have to use an Apple lightning cable.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO

My car has a factory 30-Pin hookup... Unfortunately, it must use the older Firewire tech because it will not charge my iPhone, even though my car is from 2009. Hence the need for a separate charger.

So my work phone was plugged into that, my personal phone (the iPhone 5) was plugged into the lightning cable, and my girlfriends iPhone 4S was plugged into the 30-Pin cable attached to the second USB port in the adapter.

It can charge from both USB ports at the same time.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
It's the tone of your text

Let's all relax and be supportive of google not this disparaging attitude.

I would guess that JHankwitz was relaxed when he made a comment directed at iGrip. It seemed to be a valid comment which you took personally and then asked for a moderator to take care of.

You need to relax and understand that not all comments on Internet sites are going to be 100% cheerful and positive. JHankwitz could have been a lot more negative with his comment if he wanted to attack iGrip (again, not even directed at you)

This comes from the person calling someone a "prick"? What was the tone of that text? Would he appreciate the attitude?

Last edited:

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
The dock connects to the headphone jack, so it must have an audio out in the back of the dock....

so the new connector doesn't support audio out, or am I missing something?
oooh but is reversible, so i can plug the phone the other way around when i don't want to see it :eek:

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Car chargers degrade battery life? Where is the proof you speak of?

the usb ported ones.

I think its something to do with the wattage not being delivered into the cable efficiently. thats why you always buy specific car chargers, not the usb plug in ones

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Makes no sense to get a dedicated car charger. Get the $19 lighting cable and any usb 12V adapter. When you need to charge your ipod or older iDevice, pull out lighting, put in 99 cent 30 pin cable. Done deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BELKIN-...ader_Chargers_Sync_Cables&hash=item3ccc144228

----------

the usb ported ones.

I think its something to do with the wattage not being delivered into the cable efficiently. thats why you always buy specific car chargers, not the usb plug in ones

You couldn't be more wrong. Any name brand-not 99 cent generic-will work fine. 1 amp is what you want to look for. The quality of the part is what had caused problems with car and home chargers-again, stay away from no name chargers and you are fine. Belkin and Griffin make good products.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
how is the dock a "lightening accessory" its a lump of metal with a hole. You have to provide your own Lightening to USB cable to make it work.

that is a gip.

How hard is it to spell Lightning? Seriously?? Light. Ning.

This has got to be the most misspelled word on MR right now, ever since the iP5 launch.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Then make and distribute one for less. Great opportunity for you if you think Belkin is too expensive.

What sort of a response is this? How about I just go to eBay and buy a cheaper one instead?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
It's nice to see accessories finally emerging but that dock holds the phone too high because it has to pass through Apples cable and that is rubbish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.