Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wasn't being anal, I really didn't know what you meant. :p

2.35:1 might fairly common in cinemas but 16:9 is way more common on DVD, Bluray and most digital formats like iTunes and Netflix.

16:9 is anamorphic, films are presented in 16:9 but adapted from either 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 (2.39:1 in some cases)

Most films are actually letterbox which is 2.35:1 where even on a widescreen TV you will still get a border top and bottom.

TV shows and some films too are 1.85:1 which fills up most of the 16:9 aspect ratio.

---

But anyway my point was that if I play a letterboxed movie on both devices, even though the ipad mini has a 4:3 aspect ratio for the screen, it actually delivers a bigger picture than the Nexus 7 which has a 16:9 ratio. And because the ipad mini has smaller bezel in landscape (top & bottom) it doesn't look that much different to the nexus 7.

So to say 4:3 is not as good for movie playback, isn't the whole story. In this instance the benefits of the 16:9 are hindered by the fact the device has a narrower screen, and yet the 4:3 device which has to display larger bars top and bottom actually still manages to display a bigger picture.

So certainly from the point of letterbox (2.35:1 or 2.39:1) ratio, the mini is not as hindered by its 4:3 screen as one would imagine. :)

A true 1.85:1 (16:9) picture does look bigger on the nexus 7 but again only by the slight amount that ipad mini looks bigger with 2.35:1 letter box stuff.

On the other hand if your watching old TV shows via Netflix or BBC iplayer then the 4:3 picture on the ipad mini wins out as the borders to each horizontal side on the nexus 7 make a 4:3 image seem quite small indeed.

Swings & roundabouts :)

___

But in general on this topic regarding the mini v nexus 7.

Both are great little tablets, I still don't quite understand why people have to constantly turn everything into piss fight over them to be honest, neither are perfect and either make good tablets. Preference and value is all subjective and personal, it doesn't make your decision right for everyone, only right for you.

I've both, (i bought the nexus 7 with my iPad 3, but i have now side-graded my iPad 3 to a mini because i prefer smaller devices) I am now considering selling the nexus 7 simply because I have a ONE X and both are serving the same or similar purpose right now.

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
love my nexus 7, i take it everywhere with me now, perfect size tablet. and i keep my ipad 2 at home :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
But in general on this topic regarding the mini v nexus 7.

Both are great little tablets, I still don't quite understand why people have to constantly turn everything into piss fight over them to be honest, neither are perfect and either make good tablets. Preference and value is all subjective and personal, it doesn't make your decision right for everyone, only right for you.
Well said.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Hey guys, I've been driving all over the DC metropolitan area looking to lay my hands on a Nexus 7, but no one seems to have them. Any ideas of where I should go? I've been to Best Buy, BB Mobile, and AT&T.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Hey guys, I've been driving all over the DC metropolitan area looking to lay my hands on a Nexus 7, but no one seems to have them. Any ideas of where I should go? I've been to Best Buy, BB Mobile, and AT&T.

None of those stores carry them. Try Walmart, Stapled, Office Depot or GameStop.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Try Walmart they carry them. I stopped a Walmart in SW Florida and they had two of the 32GB models. :)

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Try Walmart they carry them. I stopped a Walmart in SW Florida and they had two of the 32GB models. :)

They don't have Wal-Mart where I live. I actually never thought I would say that. The only other 2 places I heard are Staples and GameStop. I think they really need to market it better. These are not exactly great stores to shop at.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
They don't have Wal-Mart where I live. I actually never thought I would say that. The only other 2 places I heard are Staples and GameStop. I think they really need to market it better. These are not exactly great stores to shop at.

Don't have a Wallyworld? That can't be possible.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

There are other stores that sell them, maybe even Target, not sure. They are out there, jump on Google Play and look up where to buy them. But what is wrong with Staples, Office Depot, Target and GameStop? They are fine stores to shop at. Not exactly sure what your comment means.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
But what is wrong with Staples, Office Depot, Target and GameStop? They are fine stores to shop at. Not exactly sure what your comment means.

Those stores aren't the ones that immediately jump to mind when thinking about buying a tablet. That's all.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Those stores aren't the ones that immediately jump to mind when thinking about buying a tablet. That's all.

Ah, I agree, but other than Best Buy, there aren't any true electronic shops anymore. Not sure why BB does't carry it, odd.

thinkinblue613

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2010
Planet Earth
love my nexus 7, i take it everywhere with me now, perfect size tablet. and i keep my ipad 2 at home :)

I noticed I like the Nexus 7 when in the car, while the iPad is better in the living room.

I've used both systems and can see them coexisting in the same household. I'm leaning more towards keeping the Nexus 7 in the car. I'm debating whether I should mount it or do a custom install. The way I see it, it is more affordable than those double DIN Pioneer head units which aren't even that great for the $.

The iPad is better at home, especially with Apple TV. Using it as a middleman between my computer and the television is convenient. Plex is an awesome experience with iPad + AirPlay. I like how it integrates with my Macs and Google's services, as well. FaceTime is great since a lot of people I communicate with use that.

Both devices have great app stores. The difference is Android is more smartphone focused, while the iPad has more dedicated apps. I liked using Flipboard, Yelp, Evernote, Dropbox, and Plex on the iPad. Apps like GoodReader and PenUltimate are better and exclusive to iOS. The reader feature on the iPad is my favorite when reading articles. They should add more gestures to Safari, there's a lot of potential there.

For me, web browsing and PDF reading is better used on a 4:3 screen. While watching movies and TV shows was better on the Nexus 7's 720p and 16:9 screen. I didn't like the wasted space on the top and bottom while I was watching in landscape mode. Small deals, but those are the trade offs with their display ratios. The touchscreen is also better on the iPad, the bounce effect makes a funky difference. Also, the stylus responds better with the iPad than the Nexus. I like the sound output of the iPad more than the Nexus, but the placement of the 3.5mm jack is ergonomically better on the Nexus.

I'm still trying to justify the price tag on it though. I got the 32gb model and its almost $480 out the door. That's a little bit too much cheese for a spec compromised device (512mb memory, non-retina). I do like them both and each has its pros and cons. It's all up to your preferences and lifestyle. To really use Android, you have to spend time to make it run how you want. Apple is simple, straight forward and works right out of the box.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I noticed I like the Nexus 7 when in the car, while the iPad is better in the living room.

I've used both systems and can see them coexisting in the same household. I'm leaning more towards keeping the Nexus 7 in the car. I'm debating whether I should mount it or do a custom install. The way I see it, it is more affordable than those double DIN Pioneer head units which aren't even that great for the $.

The iPad is better at home, especially with Apple TV. Using it as a middleman between my computer and the television is convenient. Plex is an awesome experience with iPad + AirPlay. I like how it integrates with my Macs and Google's services, as well. FaceTime is great since a lot of people I communicate with use that.

Both devices have great app stores. The difference is Android is more smartphone focused, while the iPad has more dedicated apps. I liked using Flipboard, Yelp, Evernote, Dropbox, and Plex on the iPad. Apps like GoodReader and PenUltimate are better and exclusive to iOS. The reader feature on the iPad is my favorite when reading articles. They should add more gestures to Safari, there's a lot of potential there.

For me, web browsing and PDF reading is better used on a 4:3 screen. While watching movies and TV shows was better on the Nexus 7's 720p and 16:9 screen. I didn't like the wasted space on the top and bottom while I was watching in landscape mode. Small deals, but those are the trade offs with their display ratios. The touchscreen is also better on the iPad, the bounce effect makes a funky difference. Also, the stylus responds better with the iPad than the Nexus. I like the sound output of the iPad more than the Nexus, but the placement of the 3.5mm jack is ergonomically better on the Nexus.

I'm still trying to justify the price tag on it though. I got the 32gb model and its almost $480 out the door. That's a little bit too much cheese for a spec compromised device (512mb memory, non-retina). I do like them both and each has its pros and cons. It's all up to your preferences and lifestyle. To really use Android, you have to spend time to make it run how you want. Apple is simple, straight forward and works right out of the box.

Wow, this may be the first level headed and well balanced comment on the two devices I have read here! BTW, I agree 100% about the iPad and Apple TV, while some apps can airplay from Android, it is not as universally easy like an iPad or iPhone.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Wow, this may be the first level headed and well balanced comment on the two devices I have read here! BTW, I agree 100% about the iPad and Apple TV, while some apps can airplay from Android, it is not as universally easy like an iPad or iPhone.

Supposedly Android 4.2 is to address Androids version of Airplay.

http://www.zdnet.com/android-4-2s-four-best-new-features-7000006633/
2) Miracast: From Tablet and Smartphone to TV
"Apple recently introduced AirPlay Mirroring in iOS 5 and Mac OS X, Mountain Lion. With it, you can throw your screen to any Apple TV-equipped television. Android 4.2 will let you do the same thing with any TV, DVD-player, or other media device that supports Miracast.

Miracast is the trade name for Wi-Fi Direct or WiDi. This is an 802.11n compatible network protocol for display-sharing. With a compatible device or a Miracast adapter, you'll be able to stream Internet TV shows and movies from your smartphone or tablet to your TV. Miracast adapters will be available this quarter."

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Supposedly Android 4.2 is to address Androids version of Airplay.

http://www.zdnet.com/android-4-2s-four-best-new-features-7000006633/
2) Miracast: From Tablet and Smartphone to TV
"Apple recently introduced AirPlay Mirroring in iOS 5 and Mac OS X, Mountain Lion. With it, you can throw your screen to any Apple TV-equipped television. Android 4.2 will let you do the same thing with any TV, DVD-player, or other media device that supports Miracast.

Miracast is the trade name for Wi-Fi Direct or WiDi. This is an 802.11n compatible network protocol for display-sharing. With a compatible device or a Miracast adapter, you'll be able to stream Internet TV shows and movies from your smartphone or tablet to your TV. Miracast adapters will be available this quarter."

Yes I read that, the suck part is I already own three Apple TV's in my living room, workout room and in my garage; I really do not want to buy another adapter; but may for the garage or workout room where all the content I listen to or watch out there is streamed or airplayed now.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
This might not be the best place to ask but I thought I'd give it a shot!

I'm going to purchase a Nexus 7 16GB this month. I have a pretty sizeable iTunes library (18500 songs ish) that I'd like to be able to access all of on the Nexus. I'll be almost always connected to WiFi while using it.

When Google Music launches in the UK, is it simply a case of uploading my library to the cloud, and then streaming/downloading from there? How easy is it to stream Nexus 7 audio to Airport express?

I also have a Samsung HDTV (UE40D5520). Is it possible to mirror the Nexus 7's display on the HDTV, through DNLA or similar? I currently use Samsung's AllShare with TVMOBILI on my MacBook. Is there a similar app available for the Nexus? Whats Miracast?

Thanks!

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
This might not be the best place to ask but I thought I'd give it a shot!

I'm going to purchase a Nexus 7 16GB this month. I have a pretty sizeable iTunes library (18500 songs ish) that I'd like to be able to access all of on the Nexus. I'll be almost always connected to WiFi while using it.

When Google Music launches in the UK, is it simply a case of uploading my library to the cloud, and then streaming/downloading from there? How easy is it to stream Nexus 7 audio to Airport express?

I also have a Samsung HDTV (UE40D5520). Is it possible to mirror the Nexus 7's display on the HDTV, through DNLA or similar? I currently use Samsung's AllShare with TVMOBILI on my MacBook. Is there a similar app available for the Nexus? Whats Miracast?

Thanks!

Google music is being released in the UK on the 13th. In the meantime you can register with a US IP address (the IP doesn't matter after this).

Currently you need to upload your entire library which sucks, however the next version of Google Music will scan your library as iTunes Match does. Perhaps this will be out on the 13th too?

All your music will show up in the Music app on the device.

A quick Google reveals that you can apparently stream music to an Airport Express, although I've never tested them myself.

As for mirroring the display - I think that's a non-starter, unfortunately.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
Google music is being released in the UK on the 13th. In the meantime you can register with a US IP address (the IP doesn't matter after this).

Currently you need to upload your entire library which sucks, however the next version of Google Music will scan your library as iTunes Match does. Perhaps this will be out on the 13th too?

All your music will show up in the Music app on the device.

This sounds fine. I don't mind uploading everything. In fact, I wish iTunes Match let you do that because it just doesn't work for me at all.

A quick Google reveals that you can apparently stream music to an Airport Express, although I've never tested them myself.

I saw varying opinions on Google on how easy it is, but I'll just have a play around.

As for mirroring the display - I think that's a non-starter, unfortunately.

Ah well!

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Releasing the mini with an outdated, grainy display makes absolutely no sense when the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch and iPad all have retina displays.

I'll buy one when they come out with a retina version in 5/6 months.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Releasing the mini with an outdated, grainy display makes absolutely no sense when the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch and iPad all have retina displays.

I'll buy one when they come out with a retina version in 5/6 months.

I do photo and video work professionally and the display is just fine for me. The general public has very little clue about display resolution and ppi and it will be fine for most of them as well. I have owned all 3 iPads and chose the mini for its extremely light weight, smaller size and portability, not its display resolution or its ppi. I am sure many others have done the exact same.

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I do photo and video work professionally and the display is just fine for me. The general public has very little clue about display resolution and ppi and it will be fine for most of them as well. I have owned all 3 iPads and chose the mini for its extremely light weight, smaller size and portability, not its display resolution or its ppi. I am sure many others have done the exact same.

I see your point but they easily could have put a retina display on this device yet they chose to withhold it and will undoubtedly add it into the next iteration.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I see your point but they easily could have put a retina display on this device yet they chose to withhold it and will undoubtedly add it into the next iteration.

And it will look like crap like the iPad 2. Which didn't really look like crap until you see the 3. My Xoom has a similar ppi lol...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.