Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Samsung had 325% growth in a single year, but yet according to Apple, Samsung tablets are not cool. Ok then...

McDonald's sold more than 100000 times as many food servings as El Bulli, but according to El Bulli, McDonald's isn't really food.

Don't mix quantity with quality and/or specs marketing with actual usability.

Here endeth the lesson.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
We will never know how many units are sold, unless they tells. I could easily flood the market with my tablet, doesn't mean that many of them were sold.

Yap, because reatailers will stock month after month the tablets or smartphones not sold :rolleyes:

Grow in revenues is also because retailers stock the non sold tablets and smartphones :rolleyes:

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
Where are these other tablets? Literally every single tablet I've seen in public have been iPads. I have not seen a single Samsung, kindle fire, or other tablet in the subways or at school. Do these people shamefully use their non iPad tablets at home or something? :p

Just kidding, but seriously though, where are these tablets being sold?

This. I have never seen one single non-iPad tablet in the wild, with the possible exception of a weird looking tablet I saw from a distance, but it may simply have been an iPad in an unusual case.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Shipped doesn't equal sold.

McDonald's sold more than 100000 times as many food servings as El Bulli, but according to El Bulli, McDonald's isn't really food.

Don't mix quantity with quality and/or specs marketing with actual usability.

Here endeth the lesson.

As long as that lesson includes that comment about all companies. Not just Samsung. I assume you also discount the popularity of the iPhone, etc when making that comment?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Where are these other tablets? Literally every single tablet I've seen in public have been iPads. I have not seen a single Samsung, kindle fire, or other tablet in the subways or at school. Do these people shamefully use their non iPad tablets at home or something? :p

Just kidding, but seriously though, where are these tablets being sold?

Really? I have seen many other non apple tablets in the wild

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
There's no way for one company to dominate everything.

I don't want the iPhone to be the only phone.

I don't want the iPad to be the only tablet

Bring on the competition. Cage Match time.

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!

Do you think the iPad Mini would have ever saw the light of day if it wasn't because the competition was selling 7 inch tablets?!?

So many people are blinded by their love for Apple that they fail to realize the BEST thing for them as a consumer is competition!!!

Last edited:

Cevap

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
The foot in the door for the Android tablets is the cheap 7 inchers. What worries me is when all those guys decide, "Hey, a tablet is useful after all" and want to upgrade, they'll choose an Android and not an iPad. Apple should have priced the iPad Mini a lot more aggressively. Sure margins take a hit in the immediate future, but long term it would have destroyed that foot that Android had in the door.

Now it's anyone's guess.

Why would that worry you?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Samsung had 325% growth in a single year, but yet according to Apple, Samsung tablets are not cool. Ok then...

Question: Does the Galaxy Note and Note 2 fall into this category? Seems like Samsung could count Note sales for both the smartphone and tablet markets....

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
What's your point? That you need to spend several hundred dollars to be considered worthy in a tablet study?

Not at all.

My point is that I'm not sure how many devices actually compete with the iPad.

The Nexus 7 for example does, but some of the entry level tablets I wouldn't consider competition.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
I love my iPad but it was expensive for what it is. It's not something that I will update every year. Maybe every 2-3 years at minimum.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003

OtherJesus

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Bay Area, California
I personally can't think of a single time I've seen someone using an android tablet in the wild.

It makes no difference to me what other people use. I don't even have a tablet. But honestly, I see iPads everywhere and can't pinpoint a time where I've noticed a single android tablet.

I live in a well known, major city in California.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
1) This will finally be the end of Apple. I'm 82% sure depending on how the iPad sells in Ohio.

2) There will be a decrease in the rate of increase in Samsung's tablet sales growth rate.

3) Stating 400% is quadrupling leaves you underestimating by 20%.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
LOL!
"I don't see anyone buying samsung tablets, they are all buying Nexus".....which is a samsung tablet.
Um. The Nexus 7 is made by Asus, *not* Samsung.

Samsung makes the Nexus 10. Samsung's 7-inch tablets are the:
Galaxy Tab
Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Galaxy Tab 2 7"
They also have an 8.9 inch tablet and two 10 inch tablets.

I personally can't think of a single time I've seen someone using an android tablet in the wild.
Most tablets I see around are ipads, which makes sense because most tablets that have been sold are ipads. That is changing (as the new sales figures illustrate). I know plenty of people with either.

It makes no difference to me what other people use. I don't even have a tablet. But honestly, I see iPads everywhere and can't pinpoint a time where I've noticed a single android tablet.
I live in a well known, major city in California.
Stop hanging out in coffee shops with hipsters and maybe you'll start seeing people with non-Apple hardware.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
...I'm not buying the 50% market share number. Just going by my observations of tablets I see in the wild and the many friends who own tablets (I know dozens of people with tablets) it has to be way higher than that. I only see the occasional non-iPad and among my friends there are a couple that have non-iPads.

I would be willing to bet if you lined up 100 tablet owners that 75% or more would be rockin' iPads.

This is WORLDWIDE shipments...not just your neighborhood, city, or even country. Apple is clearly losing the game in growing markets that are crucial...which ultimately means comparatively less long-term revenue for R&D that it needs to battle the other tech companies in the future.

In other words, our iPhones are pretty awesome now...but Samsung is about to have a whole lot of cash from these growing markets to develop stronger competition...unless Apple makes some changes, fast.

rmendol1

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
Apple market share slips as competitors give their products away at cost. Shocker.

Didn't Dell and HP prove that chasing market share at the cost of profitability is a really bad idea?

Apple remains in the driver's seat. No time for cruise control though - time to mash the pedal down. Android's tablet ecosystem still sucks and will likely continue to do so for some time as developers struggle to make money in the space.

I love it when people try and defend the mini pricing over the 7/Fire because of the ecosystem. I'm not saying one is better then the other as Id be happy with any of the devices. Its hard to argue with $159 for the Fire as very quality product for someone on a budget. Its over 170 dollars cheaper!

Seriously maybe Android/Amazons ecosystem is a little behind in terms of quality apps then iOS but it certainly has its fair share of very useful apps and some better ones even.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
In other words, our iPhones are pretty awesome now...but Samsung is about to have a whole lot of cash from these growing markets to develop stronger competition...unless Apple makes some changes, fast.
How can they when the sell most of their products at cost or sometimes below cost?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.