Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rucc22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
I just got the new iPad and chose to get wifi only model figuring I can just use my iPhone hotspot when I'm at work or not home. Kinda feeling now like I shoulda got the 4g integrated one. I haven't taken it out of the box yet so I may try to return at an apple store. Anyone have any feedback on using the hotspot? Is it good or should I get it integrated?

Thegolem

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
England
I just got the new iPad and chose to get wifi only model figuring I can just use my iPhone hotspot when I'm at work or not home. Kinda feeling now like I shoulda got the 4g integrated one. I haven't taken it out of the box yet so I may try to return at an apple store. Anyone have any feedback on using the hotspot? Is it good or should I get it integrated?

Why shouldnt it work? I've got an iPad 1 and it works ok on there If thats any good to you.

Scrub175

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2012
Port St Lucie FL
3G iPhone to iPad was pretty slow. I've used LTE iPad to iPhone 5 hotspot and both devices loaded web pages pretty fast. I have yet to try iPhone hot spot to iPad. Verizon iPad has free tether that's why I tested that.

rucc22

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Not wondering if it will work. Just looking for experiences. Does having the 4g integrated make a big difference? Does the hotspot drain the hell out of ur phone?

tkhiem

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
I've just got an ipad 4 and draining the Internet from my iPhone 4S, it's pretty fast, sometime pretty much the same with thet speed I can get with my normal adsl2+ at home (but not always).

So I guess if u just use it for web browsing, facebooking and stuff then it should be fine. I've tried YouTube, it's a bit slow, but not that slow that you cant bother watching.

And finally, battery on the 4s is not drained that bad while being a hotspot.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I often use the personal hotspot feature of my 4s with my iPad 3. It's more than adequate for mobile Internet when I can't get on a wifi signal.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
At the moment there is a bug in the iPhone since the update 6.0.1 its seems when you updated and want to make a personal hotspot it doesn't seem to
work the blue line showing hotspot doesn't work.So at this moment in time there is a problem with it but i should of thought they would sort it out and make that it will work properly again.
Just a quick tip if anyone doesn't know this you can buy external battery power supplies on the internet so that you can charge on the move so that you never run out of power.When i have tethered in the past then i always carry one with me because hotspots takes loads of power out of your iPhone and a couple of hours and your phone pretty much flat from using a hotspot.
This is a perfect device for using when you are walking around and you are using a hotspot and your battery going down pretty fast thttp://www.newtrent.com this thing has got me out of a a few situations where i have needed power quite quickely i can charge my iphone about 8 times from 12,000mah battery perfect when you are traveling.The 12,000mah battery will get you through easy a 12 hours tethering if you were to do so.

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
FL
dont u need a data plan for the 4g model ipad? I plan on using my iphone 5 as a hotspot while at work to stream netflix since my work has netflix blocked

jarofclay73

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
My only concern is using your iPhone as a hotspot will drain your phone battery quicker. If you have a way to charge your iPhone at the same time then no problem. Or if you have a way to recharge your iPhone via a Mophie case then it shouldn't be too bad.

Obviously, you're trying to avoid paying two different data plans. I guess it really depends how often you'll be tethering.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I just moved from an LTE ipd3 to a WiFi ipad 4 and 4s hotspot on att - it works perfect. I was worried about losing my unlimited plan, but when I looked at the diff, the hotspot worked for all my needs. Both my mini and Ipad4 connections are snappy and work as well as my home WiFi...I use a Mophie external battery on my phone to shore up the reserves...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.