Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stellan0r

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Thanks for that. If it's just an off-the-shelf 128GB SSD and 1GB Hard Drive, I'm curious why Fusion drive orders take so many days longer than a regular order. I understand that 10.8.2 is required for Core Storage to work, but that's been in consumer hands since October 4th.

Haha i was wondering the same :)

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
I got a base i7 Mini for Christmas/Birthday, returned it, and then ordered one with the Fusion Drive from the Apple Store on December 28th (Friday). It said 3-5 days shipping and 7-10 days for Delivery.

As of today (Thursday January 3rd), the UPS shipping from China expects delivery by 10:30am Friday January 4th (tomorrow).

Are these projected/expected dates pretty reliable? Getting excited and would love to have it before the weekend to setup, etc. before work on Monday.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
I got a base i7 Mini for Christmas/Birthday, returned it, and then ordered one with the Fusion Drive from the Apple Store on December 28th (Friday). It said 3-5 days shipping and 7-10 days for Delivery.

Just curious why you didn't go ahead and make your own Fusion drive?

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio

As of today (Thursday January 3rd), the UPS shipping from China expects delivery by 10:30am Friday January 4th (tomorrow).

Are these projected/expected dates pretty reliable? Getting excited and would love to have it before the weekend to setup, etc. before work on Monday.
Once it gets into the hands of UPS or FedEx, you can usually count on the expected delivery dates. My three orders that have shipped straight from China have all come via FedEx. Two were right on, and one was a day early. (It must have caught a lucky plane, because it jumped straight from the island to Memphis.)

CtotheP

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Silicon Valley
Just curious why you didn't go ahead and make your own Fusion drive?

You might find this funny, but I got some other Apple Gift Cards for Christmas/Birthday and figured I'd just do it. Didn't really have a need for anything else, and it worth it to me to use the cards up and not spend $$$ out of pocket.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
You might find this funny, but I got some other Apple Gift Cards for Christmas/Birthday and figured I'd just do it. Didn't really have a need for anything else, and it worth it to me to use the cards up and not spend $$$ out of pocket.

No that makes perfect sense since you had gift cards. I was just curious if there was some other reasoning. Sounds like a good decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.