Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Outside

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
United States
...For the obvious reasons
picture.php

And my "awesome" cable management
picture.php

What is this obvious reason?

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
What is this obvious reason?

Apple's complete deprecation of the workstation/academico-scientific clustering market (death of xserve and axing of xgrid in Mountain Lion) and current hardware design direction of form over function, which puts great emphasis on looks at the cost of cooling. And the best example of that is the new iMac with it's rather anaemic fan and single heathspreader for both CPU and GPU, not to mention the whole thing of soldered overpriced ram. Should I also mention the Retina gimmick? When you already had "Retina" in the 15 inches mbp with the 1680x1050 display option and 17 inches mbp.

Concretely to the Mac Pro, it's obvious that the main concerns used to fall in GPU offers and their respective drivers quality which now have great disparity, even compared to GNU/Linux proprietary drivers. But now the whole machine is at stake of either being axed like the xserve or suffer the same kind of "make up" the iMac got, by pretty much being an LGA2011 board with built in graphics coupled with a thunderbolt chip in some nice slick enclosure and that's it, no more pci-e slots nor graphics card upgrades (like this Asus board http://tinyurl.com/7su3y72), while the key feature being more HDD slots.

>>Consumer focused offers

And sorry for the wall of text on a pict. thread...

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
obviously you lack the understanding of a "retina" display.

enlighten us about "retina"......

I believe the OP is alluding to the fact that you actually lose useable space with a RD at 1440x900 compared to 1680x1050 at the same 15.4", which has more pixels in the same space, making it sufficiently sharp while still giving you more space.

Unless of course, like me you set your rMBP to 1920x1200 :D

MacJones

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Arizona
So I have been following the picture threads for awhile now. Your desk keeps jumping out at me but from what I understand, the glass is very thin on the permanently flat side. So you can't put a thunderbolt display on that side at all?

The glass starts to bend with just the display on it so I didn't want to risk a break with the keyboard, mouse, trackpad, laptop, and my hands added to the weight. I use my drafting table all the time so my options were limited to a wall mount or the shelf after I got my display. The shelf was already in my garage and much easier than a wall mount, so I went with that.

finalx233

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
How do you like the bitfenix prodigy case? What do you use it for?

For a mITX case, I don't think there's a better case than this one. Though WATCH YOUR PSU sizing, mine is protruding like less than 5cm in the back but I don't mind, I fixed it with some tie-wrap xD!

lysol

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
The glass starts to bend with just the display on it so I didn't want to risk a break with the keyboard, mouse, trackpad, laptop, and my hands added to the weight. I use my drafting table all the time so my options were limited to a wall mount or the shelf after I got my display. The shelf was already in my garage and much easier than a wall mount, so I went with that.

Gotcha. Either way, I like it lol. Thinking about going with this desk now though looks like a drafting table next to it:

http://www.amazon.com/Graphite-Fros...UTF8&colid=2ADRGCK35TXMB&coliid=IAESDGWLOG4UM

(not my setup)
61BxQ2WqXNL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.