Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
All this talk of built in navigation and video screens in cars frankly sounds like rich people's toys from the future. Seriously, a car has always just been transportation to me, not an entertainment center.

Once again:

Navigation: I've never owned a GPS and I continue to get along very well without one. GPS in your car is not a necessity.

Contacts: You already have this on your phone.

Music: I don't listen to music in my car. My radio broke back in 2004. Since I never used it, I never bothered to replace it. I have no audio input options. So I think about stuff when I'm driving. I'm never bored.

Don't put an iPad in your car. Don't go to the trouble, don't spend the money.

You'd get navigation, all of your music, your contacts and such, even a phone if they add it to the iPad, and a nice touch screen interface for way less money than a built-in system. AND it would also be a regular iPad. You don't need to use it for anything outside of what car systems do right now.

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
Cool, but one needs a car optimized interface.
Sort of like xbmc for controlling media centres , we need something similar for controlling music and navigation software whilst driving.

Less cluttered screens , big icons, large text sizes etc., whilst in drive mode.
Not sure if that is possible with IOS.

dponte

macrumors member
May 21, 2012
dponte, I think you misunderstand how the location services in these devices work. In the cell model of iPad, there IS a GPS receiver (sat nav). Apparently the wifi only version leaves this out, but that version would not work for navigation at all without a 3rd party app that provides offline maps. With the cell version the only downside to losing cell coverage would be if you ran out of cached map files and you could no longer see the map, it would get nearly as reliable a location signal as a dedicated nav unit. Short outages of cell data would not be noticed by the user at all.

The only reason it might be slightly less is if it has a smaller antenna (likely), and the fact that it is mounted in the dash which would attenuate the GPS signal slightly.

OK, thanks for the clarification on that. The 3G/cell versions of the iPads seem to include GPS (as well as the Russian version, GLONASS).

I have used an iPhone 3GS in my car for years, as a supplement for my satellite GPS. I used google maps while I was on the road...and of course, sometimes the iPhone radio receiver loses where I am for a time in low 3G strength or 2G areas, or takes a LONG time trying to render the screen, and traffic details, etc...perhaps the location is still OK (?). Of course, this is based on an old iPhone.

I'll concede the GPS...if it works well enough. I don't know, the satellite Navman/in-car seems more reliable overall. The rest of my points stand though. Thanks for the clarification though.

----------

All this talk of built in navigation and video screens in cars frankly sounds like rich people's toys from the future. Seriously, a car has always just been transportation to me, not an entertainment center.

Once again:

Navigation: I've never owned a GPS and I continue to get along very well without one. GPS in your car is not a necessity.

Music: I don't listen to music in my car. My radio broke back in 2004. Since I never used it, I never bothered to replace it. I have no audio input options. So I think about stuff when I'm driving. I'm never bored.

I too somewhat agree to the general point...I do NOT see the overall value in doing this, since most new cars are equipped with similar if not all the best bells and whistles you'd ever use anyone with an iPad.

But, your rationale is bunk...people use GPS, listen to music...and that's that. Those are big deals these days. Music has always been a big deal. If I was a teenager, I'd be looking to do this to my crappy old car, just to make it cooler and to perhaps utilize bells and whistles that a crappy car would not have.

That being said...most cars these days (even cheap ones) include all of this and will in the near future. So, again, I don't see the point of it when you weigh it all together. But, again, you're rationales are trite and are for you and a small percentage of people in 2012. No music? really? :)

----------

Not sure what part of my post you missed. I already do this - using CELL data (do you think I have constant wifi speeding down the freeway? lol) - on my iPhone. I wouldn't be using any additional data with an iPad.

I didnt miss a thing. You are using 5GB a month...you pay for it, unless 'unlimited', then you are throttled at 3GB for most carriers. I guess T-Mobile or Sprint or someone doesnt apparently do this, so it will depend who you have, i'll concede that.

No, of course you don't have wifi on the highway...when did I allude to that? And, yes, of course an iPad doesn't mean you are using more data...where did I allude to that?

I've used an iPhone on the road, like I stated...if I used Pandora OFTEN or ConcertVault or some streaming video (with an iPad, since the iPhone is way too damn small for that...while driving...which is another reason why I am replacing it with a Note 2), THEN you'd be racking up the data usage on cell.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
It sounds like you don't ever go any place new or unknown.

And it sounds like the trips you make aren't long enough that you would want to enjoy music.

And that is fine.

But for many of us, this is going to be an awesome (temporary) installation. The iPad mini will be removed when I am not in the vehicle.

Hence the popularity of this thread. The article author could have chosen a better test vehicle than a toileta cr4pola, but none-the-less, many of us will be installing similar mounts for our mini's.

Once again:

EddieCurrent

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
In Car Entertainment

Why, why, why would anybody want this?

I'm not talking about driver distraction. What I mean is, what on earth do you need to be doing on a dash-mounted iPad while you're in a car? Is getting to your destination not enough any more? Is having a conversation impossible? Have we reached the point where we need apps and gizmos and constant entertainment wherever we go, every second of every day?

Any number of GPS and map apps, music, radio, podcasts, not to mention the third party apps that would be developed we haven't even thought of.

This is safer than using maps or GPS on your phone because the larger screen and placement. Also then you can put your phone away so you are less inclined to text, surf or otherwise.

And as far as the rest of your rant...many people spend in excess of 2hrs a day in their cars, just on a work commute. Are they supposed to sit there staring at the traffic in front of them? :confused: How is this any different than an in-dash GPS/CD/Stereo Receiver units which have been commercially available for years? This is cheaper and easier to customize & update than that.

And as it is an iPad there is nothing preventing 3rd party developers from creating apps that tap in to the computers already in cars that provide data for things like tire pressure, break-pad wear, and any number of maintenance issues.

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
You do realize that many people in this world can't afford an upscale car, right? Or maybe they have better uses for their money? Do you usually mock people for not being yuppies?

The article author could have chosen a better test vehicle than a toileta cr4pola, but none-the-less, many of us will be installing similar mounts for our mini's.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008

Once again:

All your post tells me is that YOU shouldn't put one in YOUR car. Others? Maybe they listen to music all the time when they drive, maybe they rely on sat nav, maybe there are things you can do on the iPad that you just can't do with regular car stereos that they feel benefits them (digital read outs of car computers for one!)

If you want an iPad in your car, this is the way to go. If you don't, then enjoy your car the way it is. Everyone wins and no one needs to feel high and mighty.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Hey, that's Google maps! :D

You have a link to the bracket/holder you used?

i used the arkon seat mount. but just cut off the end part that has the ball on it. then drilled it into the bracket. worked perfectly.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
What way was that?

Edit: Oops, you've posted it.

Edit 2: So you just mounted in front of your stock system?

yes it covers it. so you can take it off and have your normal deck behind it for when you dont want to carry it.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Umm...you don't get the same functionality from an iPad than you would from a 1000 dollar stereo. Data costs would kill it. Not to mention the horrible Apple Maps, which happens to be made by Tom Tom. Anyone who's used Tom Tom GPS is not surprised with how horrible it is.

To some this might look "cool" but seems like a terrible idea

I have unlimited data with tethering so I am good on that front, and Apple Maps has been good for everywhere I had to go, that I did not know the directions to in the U.S.

And I know you do not get the same functionality, the only functionally I need is spotify/pandora, maps and yelp. So in essence only paying for the functions I need. Plus it is portable so when I am not in my car it doubles as a regular iPad!

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Future? They had GPS navigators in cars back in 2000 and radios back in the 1940s and probably earlier. The iPad mini would just do a better job for less money.

EddieCurrent

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
For the Love of Pete!

I really wish insurance companies could/would find a way to start charging increased rates to people who habitually text/email while driving.

And how would one do that?:confused:

What about the folks eating, talking on the phone, doing their makeup, having an argument with their spouse, trying to hand something to a child in the back seat, or all of the myriad of distracted driver things people do and HAVE DONE for decades.

Distracted drivers aren't a new phenomenon. And all an insurance company could do is what they already do. Reward drivers with less accidents and tickets and penalize those with more.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Why, why, why would anybody want this?

I'm not talking about driver distraction. What I mean is, what on earth do you need to be doing on a dash-mounted iPad while you're in a car? Is getting to your destination not enough any more? Is having a conversation impossible? Have we reached the point where we need apps and gizmos and constant entertainment wherever we go, every second of every day?

Haven't cars always had radios? Isn't a GPS useful?

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I'm glad you're seeing things my way. I don't know that I would ever title a ricer an "up scale" car, but at $18K+ for one of those things is more than I would ever spend.

http://www.toyota.com/corolla/trims-prices.html

I realize that you intended to provide a smart-a55 reply, but I'm driving a '70 IH Scout. And you are absolutely correct. I have better things to spend my money on than an overpriced toileta.

yuppies? Is it 1982?

You do realize that many people in this world can't afford an upscale car, right? Or maybe they have better uses for their money? Do you usually mock people for not being yuppies?

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I have unlimited data with tethering so I am good on that front, and Apple Maps has been good for everywhere I had to go, that I did not know the directions to in the U.S.

And I know you do not get the same functionality, the only functionally I need is spotify/pandora, maps and yelp. So in essence only paying for the functions I need. Plus it is portable so when I am not in my car it doubles as a regular iPad!

How did you manage unlimited data and tethering? The minute you sign up for tethering, your unlimited data is null and void and you have to pick a new plan.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
That looks awesome!
Don't forget to lock the doors at night.
If I leave mine unlocked for one night I will find the contents of the glove box all over the front seat.

maxxaddict

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2005
Saskatchewan, Canada
Thats where these 7" tablets shine, who needs an expensive $1000 stereo when you can get the same functionality out of a $200-600 device that you can take with you.

$800 plus price of iPad

Someone who wants a real stereo. You are forgetting the need for an external amplifier now that the factory one that's in the deck has been replaced. Also the ability to set your fade and balance easily, subwoofer controls, Graphic EQ and High/Low Pass filter adjustments, Ability to plug in external video sources (Back up camera and/or video game system if you want to go that route) and video outputs (Rear seat entertainment for the kids in the back). This device also looks to be mounted behind the dash panel so you cannot take it with you. Integrated Bluetooth for answering your phone hands-free is also a big option on that $1000 Double DIN stereo.

Also Pioneer offers integration with apps from your iOS and Android devices.

Also there is
What I am waiting for is a 7" touchscreen deck that is built from the ground up as an android based stereo solution. I only say I'm excited for an Android device this because Apple will never release a 7" DIN mountable stereo solution, however Android doesn't have the limitations of it's use like iOS.

If I need a mobile device I'll but a mobile device and use it as such. If I want a real stereo that has all the functionality of a real stereo I'll get a real stereo.

*EDIT* I do however think it's cool to have an iPad integrated into your in-car entertainment system, I just don't think it is a solid replacement for a proper stereo system. It all depends on how much of an audiophile you are I guess.

Last edited:

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
How did you manage unlimited data and tethering? The minute you sign up for tethering, your unlimited data is null and void and you have to pick a new plan.

I am on verizon, unlimited tethering for grandfathered unlimited data is an extra $30 but I get discounts on data, tethering, and my phone bill because of my job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.