Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DTMfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
But realized at the store that I'm holding out for retina version 2. I won't settle for the poor mans ipad until they put the same technology that all the other products have on it. I want o compromise but I can't. I'll keep lugging my 3 around. Still love apple though.. They will make a killing having folks buy it and buy another retina version in 6 months.:rolleyes:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Awesome! Great to hear! Apple will gladly take your money next year.

DTMfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
I don't see the logic when folks should hold out for retina coming shortly. Only can see buying if you couldn't afford the reg ipad before and need the small size:apple:

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
They will make a killing having folks buy it and buy another retina version in 6 months.:rolleyes:

I think you are going to be disappointed, there is no way current battery tech will allow a retina display in the same thickness and weight of the mini.

Perhaps the Mini 3rd gen in October 2014...

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It's good to have standards and keep to them, but just be aware that another Mini will not be coming out in 6 months. They had to sell the iPad 4 earlier to get it onto the Holiday schedule. They'll all be on a 12 month cycle now.

----------

I think you are going to be disappointed, there is no way current battery tech will allow a retina display in the same thickness and weight of the mini.

Perhaps the Mini 3rd gen in October 2014...

If the 4 inch iPod and 9.7 inch iPad can both have Retina Displays without any major problems, I'm sure a 7.9 inch Mini can too. The lack of a RD really has nothing to do with a lack of technology. Apple just didn't want to release a new product without any native-running apps for it. I guess we will hear about this again come the WWDC next June.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
It's good to have standards and keep to them, but just be aware that another Mini will not be coming out in 6 months. They had to sell the iPad 4 earlier to get it onto the Holiday schedule. They'll all be on a 12 month cycle now.

----------

This is what I keep wondering about. Probably will be a year...ughh. Guess I'll have to get the mini now.

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
This thing has a non retina display and isn't much cheaper than the regular iPad? Yeah, this is for idiots.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
The only problem with the iPad 3/4 is the weight. A reduction of 20% will be more than enough to notice. I don't care if the battery life goes from 10 hours to 8 hours... I can't use up the battery in one day anyway. Then the need for an iPad mini for me will be gone.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
What I really don't get is all the people who are saying they LOVE the mini so much, and really want to buy one but "can't" because it doesn't yet have a retina display. If you "love" it so much, why not get one now and use/enjoy it for the 6/12 months until we MAYBE get retina in the mini? It's no secret Apple hardware has very good residuals (unless you sell to a Gazelle kind of place). But if you buy for $329 now and sell yourself once the next one comes out, you'll still be recouping 60%+ of your initial outlay (Maybe even more). Heck, I sold my iPad 1 the day before the 2's were announced for $489.

Everyone treats every launch as if it's the only/last one of whatever it is they'll ever be buying. And yet, those same people WILL buy the next one...and the next one...and the next one.

We 100% know that there will be new "whatevers" coming out every year. You can't have it both ways (having EVERYTHING you want right now, AND keeping it for 3-5 years). If keeping something for 3 years is more important than having the absolute latest features, then you have to be strong through every cycle. If you can't stand having yesterday's news, then just factor in the cost of buying a new one every time.

It's kind of like leasing vs. buying a car. And with the way Apple values go, I'll bet if you plotted buying a Mini now and holding onto it for 3 years vs. buying one now and selling/upgrading for the next 2 cycles, you'd just about be even in terms of money spent vs. residual value.

But don't let me talk you into/out of it. If you don't want to settle for the "poor man's" iPad, I guess that's one more for those of us who do want one.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed, I don't think there will be another iPad mini until this time next year.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I love my mini. I've been using it since early Friday morning, and the screen is more than good enough. The size and weight more than make up for the non-retina screen.

Also, you're allowed to buy this one and the next version. They ain't rationing them.

I'm sure I'll buy the next version and pass this one down to my kid. Until then, I'm happy to have this one.

This iPad is the way the iPad should have been designed in the first place IMO (and yes, I understand the tech wasn't there back then).

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
This iPad is the way the iPad should have been designed in the first place IMO (and yes, I understand the tech wasn't there back then).

But the technology did exist. And it would have been a fantastic idea. Here's why it didn't happen though:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/tablets-steve-jobs/

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
But the technology did exist. And it would have been a fantastic idea. Here's why it didn't happen though:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/tablets-steve-jobs/

Yes, I'm aware that SJ wasn't a fan of the smaller sized tablets (or he was, but just wanted to criticize the competition).

However, I doubt that the technology to mass produce a super thin battery that provides "Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi‑Fi, watching video, or listening to music" existed then.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They will make a killing having folks buy it and buy another retina version in 6 months.:rolleyes:
To flaws in your remarks. First the odds of seeing a retina iPad in 6 months is pretty slim. Also if and when apple puts a retina display on the mini, it doesn't instantly mean all of us mini owners will go out and buy it.

Heck, I'm an iPad-1 owner and I've forgone upgrading for a number of generations.

If the mini doesn't meet your needs, fine, but to convey its flawed because it lacks retina at the same price point is incorrect. Yeah many people are complaining but it seems many more people decided that the mini is fine for their needs, even without a retina display.

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
Thankfully my eye sight is poor. I can tell the difference between my iPad 3 and my Mini, but I really don't care. Sure, I wish the mini was retina, but whatever. I'll use and enjoy this one until they give it the treatment. Which I happen to think will be quite a while. They would be hard pressed to put the same pixel count in the 7 incher as they do in the 10 to keep the apps compatible. At least not cost effectively.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
7 short months ago a top of the line iPad screen had 132PPI. Jump forward today, where the iPad Mini enjoys 163PPI, a more than 20% improvement. It's also a much higher PPI than most MacBooks, which are also used at arm's length.

And yet suddenly everyone considers this PPI so bad that that the pixel's jaggies will leap out of the screen and slash their eyeballs, causing them to bleed all over the "horribly unreadable text" on the iPad Mini screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.