Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
This is great news my fellow apple fans.

Apple needs to be more competitive and hopefully we will see some price drops

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Samsung had 325% growth in a single year, but yet according to Apple, Samsung tablets are not cool. Ok then...

Don't forget there are a lot of Apple haters out there that would gladly buy a 2nd rate product just to spite Apple. It was according to a judge by the way lol

Last edited:

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
Where are these other tablets? Literally every single tablet I've seen in public have been iPads. I have not seen a single Samsung, kindle fire, or other tablet in the subways or at school. Do these people shamefully use their non iPad tablets at home or something? :p

Just kidding, but seriously though, where are these tablets being sold?

Not sure what subway you are taking or what city - but I take the A-Train to 14th and 8th every day and I see a bunch of Kindles of all types and shapes.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I love it when people try and defend the mini pricing over the 7/Fire because of the ecosystem. I'm not saying one is better then the other as Id be happy with any of the devices. Its hard to argue with $159 for the Fire as very quality product for someone on a budget. Its over 170 dollars cheaper!

Seriously maybe Android/Amazons ecosystem is a little behind in terms of quality apps then iOS but it certainly has its fair share of very useful apps and some better ones even.

One could just simply save for what they really want. Price does not always have to be the deciding factor. Just like buying a car Hyundai has great value for the money, but I prefer Nissan for the extra build quality.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
McDonald's sold more than 100000 times as many food servings as El Bulli, but according to El Bulli, McDonald's isn't really food.

Don't mix quantity with quality and/or specs marketing with actual usability.

Here endeth the lesson.

I can say the same thing about the iPad Mini sales numbers

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Not sure what subway you are taking or what city - but I take the A-Train to 14th and 8th every day and I see a bunch of Kindles of all types and shapes.
I take the 1 train to the 2or 3 to chambers street every morning. It's like an Apple commercial. But yes I see plenty of kindles accompanied with an iPhone or some sort of other iOS device

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkeydude

macrumors member
May 12, 2011
Hamburg, Germany
Galaxy Note

Question: Does the Galaxy Note and Note 2 fall into this category? Seems like Samsung could count Note sales for both the smartphone and tablet markets....

After my 4th iPhone I switched to the Note II and it is superior to the iPhone 5 in every aspect. Apple is still great in Computers, but iOS is more than dated.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
I am not surprise, these measure sales, sure a new product people are more than likely buy instead buying an established one. But if you still look at the usage, Apple is still king.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
Samsung had 325% growth in a single year, but yet according to Apple, Samsung tablets are not cool. Ok then...

It helps when IDC decides to start treating a cell phone (The Note) as both a Tablet (for Samsung Tablet counts) and a cell Phone (for Samsung cell phone counts).

----------

No, they're smartphones, not tablets

IDC counted the Note as both a cell phone and a tablet. These numbers include the Note as a tablet.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
It helps when IDC decides to start treating a cell phone (The Note) as both a Tablet (for Samsung Tablet counts) and a cell Phone (for Samsung cell phone counts).

----------

IDC counted the Note as both a cell phone and a tablet. These numbers include the Note as a tablet.

Do you have a source for this claim?

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Where are these other tablets? Literally every single tablet I've seen in public have been iPads. I have not seen a single Samsung, kindle fire, or other tablet in the subways or at school. Do these people shamefully use their non iPad tablets at home or something? :p

The world is a big place. You need to think Globally instead of just US.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Seeing as how the competition is now gaining market share with mostly no-profit hardware, I'd be curious to see the current tablet profit share.

I guess it must be similar to the past years, with Apple making almost all profit in the industry. If they can keep their current sales growth while keep making the most profit in the industry, it doesn't matter whether they have 9% or 90% market share: they'll still be the ones making more and more money every year.

Jason Garza

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
You guys remind me of Christian's trying to convert the world. Let people believe and buy what they want its there life and money.

iMacian

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
For those who are not visiting retailers very often, there are fire sales going on for Samsungs 2011 tablets, which are still lying like bricks on the shelves. You can get a Galaxy Tab 7.7 or 10.1s and Tab 2 10.1 veeery cheaply now.

bkspero

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
deja vu

Great thread. Carbon copy of one 2 years ago, except about phones and not tablets. We know how that has gone (Samsung announced on their Samsung Tomorrow blog that they are selling over 2 Galaxy S3 phones per second).

Apple is still better positioned to hold onto its strong position in tablets than it was in phones, as the competition did a better job of anticipating the iPhone than it did the iPad (the Nexus 1 predated the iPhone...badly, whereas the "slates" that predated the iPad were much much worse).

But it has to do it without Steve Jobs. And the recent round of management musical chairs at Apple has Tim Cook looking more like Gil Amelio than Steve Jobs.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

Have you been to, say, Best Buy? There are plenty of tablets there.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
u make a very good point. I was there today plenty of stock of tablets. But the iPad mini sold out.

It is sold out today but it will be there tomorrow. Samsung manages to sell twice more smart phones than Apple without any lines or sold outs. It may be indication of low supply (it has been reported that new Apple LCD panel suppliers experience low yields).

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
It is sold out today but it will be there tomorrow. Samsung manages to sell twice more smart phones than Apple without any lines or sold outs. It may be indication of low supply (it has been reported that new Apple LCD panel suppliers experience low yields).
twice as many shipped or sold? Have not seen any believable sales numbers from Samsung.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is obviously related to the iPad Mini. Apple sold 3 million in this last weekend; let's see their share for this quarter before making any judgements.

Not as much as you might think since the Mini wasn't confirmed

What it was more likely about is more of the other guys hitting the channels. Remember that Samsung etc often report Channel sales, not end user. So they flood the channel with product that might or might not sell to a user but it is still counted in these surveys.

----------

True. But Apple doesn't report sold either.

Actually they do to a degree. They are one of their channels, the biggest probably, so those sales are end user. Perhaps 40% are other channels. Amazon is likely the same. Unlike Samsung etc where it is more like 80-90% are other channels

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
This is great news my fellow apple fans.

Apple needs to be more competitive and hopefully we will see some price drops

Yes, I think this is great news. Apple should be feeling the heat now. Argue all you want about shipments vs sales, the lawsuits are mostly behind them, and they now need to stop whining over copying by Google and Samsung and start innovating again. One of the ways to do this is stop making every aspect of sharing and communication proprietary. I think iMessage is great, but photo stream, FaceTime, and the Maps and Siri debacles all indicate that Apple is usually better served by playing well with others, even if they are your competitors. I thought they learned this lesson with Microsoft in the 90s....

In short, only do things on your own when you can truly do them well. Interestingly, one of these areas seems to be proprietary mobile chips.

Seeing as how the competition is now gaining market share with mostly no-profit hardware, I'd be curious to see the current tablet profit share.

I guess it must be similar to the past years, with Apple making almost all profit in the industry. If they can keep their current sales growth while keep making the most profit in the industry, it doesn't matter whether they have 9% or 90% market share: they'll still be the ones making more and more money every year.

This is a good point also. Apple has somewhat of a buffer because they don't compete on price. Still, they will have to start doing some big things soon if they want to continue the argument that they're a "premium" brand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.