Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Yeah it is. Its just slightly shorter and thinner than the GS3.

GS3 is 5.38" tall 2.78" wide 0.34" thick
N4 is 5.27" tall 2.70" wide 0.35" thick
iP5 is 4.87" tall 2.31" wide 0.30" thick

Since the buttons are a part of the screen, i wonder how much viewing space you lose compared to the GS3 even though the screen is 4.7

I read you end up with 4.45" of screen space due to the on screen buttons.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Any speculation on pricing of the wireless charging dock? Also, are there any others already currently available that would also work that may be cheaper?

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Any speculation on pricing of the wireless charging dock? Also, are there any others already currently available that would also work that may be cheaper?

Yeah, you can use one of the Nokia ones.

I read their is a standard for wireless chargers and this just uses that so it should be easy enough to find one.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
http://www.laptopmag.com/review/smartphone/lg-optimus-g-att.aspx

Battery Life test:

Galaxy Note 2: 7:45
Galaxy S3: 6:28
LG Optimus G: 5:53

So if the Nexus 4 is similar to the Optimus G, the battery life will be poor. The Galaxy Note 2 on the other hand has very good battery life.

And this link says the Optimus G is better than the S3: http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-O...-Galaxy-S-III-claims-an-LG-experiment_id35585

As does Engadget's review: http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/19/lg-optimus-g-review-a-quad-core-powerhouse-with-nexus-aspiratio/

The reason people are comparing the LG Optimus G to the Nexus 4 is because there shouldn't be such a huge disparity between the two, but the difference isn't just matching it. If anything, it should be better with finalized Android 4.2 and running HSPA+ instead of LTE.

Again: If the Galaxy Nexus with year old tech running HSPA+ on a significantly smaller battery can achieve 20+ hours average on moderate use (I've posted a number of screen caps of my battery usage) then it makes no sense why the quad core, larger battery, and finalized 4.2 software can't match or surpass that.

The verdict is still out. You're attempting to draw conclusions on unfinished software. Is it that hard to believe software can make a difference in battery consumption?

iPhone 4s: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/...ne-4sios-5-battery-problem-promises-fix/15997
Galaxy S III: http://www.sammobile.com/2012/08/09/modem-update-galaxy-s-iii-fix-battery-drain/
Nokia Lumia 800: http://pocketnow.com/windows-phone/nokia-lumia-800-battery-issue-fixed-audio-and-camera-next

It sounds like you're hoping for poor battery, hyteckit. Blind loyalty make people want odd things.

Last edited:

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
4.2 doesn't necessarily = better battery life.

It has more features, Google Now scanning your email looking for hotel bookings etc could be battery hog too. I'm more inclined to believe an older OS with less features and more basic would have a longer battery life.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

It has more features, Google Now scanning your email looking for hotel bookings etc could be battery hog too. I'm more inclined to believe an older OS with less features and more basic would have a longer battery life.

Scamming? Wnhy it is scamming?

And it is done in the server, not in the phone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011

Could be true. But OS improvements don't always mean more features therefore more battery juice. Improvements could be made over battery usage too. OSes are constantly adding new features. If that were always true, our battery life would be completely shot given how many new features we've added. Look at the Note II. Tons of new features, excellent battery life.

4.1, with all its new features, have given me the best battery life I've ever experienced on Android. In fact, I'd take 4.1 over any of the previous iterations of Android. Android battery life in the past was a serious problem. It's not a problem anymore. Far from it. My Galaxy Nexus gets better battery use than any previous Android devices I've tried and better than the iPhone 4S when I had it.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
It sounds like you're hoping for poor battery, hyteckit. Blind loyalty make people want odd things.

Actually, it's you who is having blind loyalty.

Nothing indicates that the Nexus 4 will have good battery life. Everything points to it having bad battery life. Multiple sites, multiple test, multiple reviews.

Oh, it's unfinished OS.
Oh, it'll have the same great battery life as the LG Optimus G.
Oh, it's this and that.

I shot down your excuses one after another with backup proof from other sites.

Yet, your blind loyalty says the verdict is still out on a device that is about to be release in a week and so far have been reported to have poor battery life.

Now that's blind loyalty.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Actually, it's you who is having blind loyalty.

Please elaborate how it's blind loyalty to simply point out the verdict is still out. No where did I say I will purchase this device no matter what. In fact, many times I've posted that while I'm very interested in this device, I'm going to wait. I've even criticized Google heavily for the misstep of releasing unfinished units to reviewers.

Nothing indicates that the Nexus 4 will have good battery life. Everything points to it having bad battery life. Multiple sites, multiple test, multiple reviews.

"Nothing"? "Everything"? There are varying reports of battery life.

Oh, it's unfinished OS.

Yup.

Oh, it'll have the same great battery life as the LG Optimus G.

Yes, if you use logic, it should not only be the same, it should be better.

Oh, it's this and that.

Don't forget that and this.

Yet, your blind loyalty says the verdict is still out on a device that is about to be release in a week and so far have been reported to have poor battery life.

Now that's blind loyalty.

I don't see how any can deny the verdict is still out given its unfinished software. Remember, these reviews didn't even have all the features 4.2 is supposed to have (widget in lock screen / multiple user log in). How can anyone say the verdict is in? Especially when there are contrasting reports, and the specs and logic don't add up.

Blind loyalty? Back when I had an Android, it failed to satisfy my smartphone needs. Switched to an iPHone 4S. Then, Android suddenly jumped ahead and it felt like iOS failed to meet my needs, so I switched back, this time making a smarter decision to go with the Nexus line. How is any of this blind loyalty? I've said in multiple posts that I'm cautiously optimistic to see what iOS 7 brings with Ive at the helm. If it should deliver, I'd happily switch back. If the Nexus 4 should truly flunk, I simply won't upgrade. Is that so difficult a concept to believe?

Can the same be said about you and Apple? I hope so.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Any speculation on pricing of the wireless charging dock?

I'm actually a bit concerned there's no info on this whatsoever. Makes me think it's not ready yet or something? Who knows when we'll see the light of this.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I'm actually a bit concerned there's no info on this whatsoever. Makes me think it's not ready yet or something? Who knows when we'll see the light of this.

Or maybe they will just put up the accessories when the device goes on sale on the 13th. But you could be right. However from the leaks we've seen, it seems ready.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States

Indeed. That seems to be the missing part of the puzzle. I wish we had more information on this. I'd love to have wireless charging, but without the Charging Orb, the only other Qi device on sale is sold by Energizer, and it's gotten some bad reviews on Amazon. As long as the Charging Orb or Nokia's pillow are for sale at a good price, I'm good with either since they both use the Qi standard, but as of now, no info on either of them.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Phone looks great in this vid the back is very understated and looks black unless the light catches it right and android looks supersmooth also the lockscreen widgets are demostrated in this vid.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Phone looks great in this vid the back is very understated and looks black unless the light catches it right and android looks supersmooth also the lockscreen widgets are demostrated in this vid.

YouTube: video

I really hope they don't sell it at an insane price in Ireland like they're doing in Austria, Spain and Italy too I think.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States

I was watching that earlier today. Looks super smooth and responsive. Lock Screen widgets look great. Perhaps they have the final build. Does anyone speak Italian to find out what he's saying? Cliff Notes anyone?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011

Good video, the best to noticed is that he say battery life is good and lasted him for a full day.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I love the new camera UI in 4.2. That is so slick.

You can try it out if you're rooted and using an AOSP ROM http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1965895

Edit: I'm testing the keyboard and camera. The camera quick controls work great but you kinda have to get used to where they are because your finger might be hiding some of the controls depending how you're holding the phone. The keyboard is pretty cool too. I'll try and stick to it but I don't know if I can go without the SwiftKey swipe left on keyboard to delete a word gesture.

Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Well, I'm out of the running for the Nexus 4. Decided that it's just going to be too much for me to leave Verizon. I still want to buy a smartphone very soon, though.

I'm still interested in the Nexus line. I really hope this one does good, because Google really needs that to kick things off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.