Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Not to start a flame war here, but I think I'm the only one who finds this show boring as hell and so melodramatic that it ain't funny? I admit the first season was great and showed promise of a great series, but really. It's like Days Of Our Lives now.
I think Season 2 may have been described as above, but I'm liking Season 3 just as much (if not more) than I liked Season 1.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
Great season so far. Much better then most of season 2.

If you enjoy the Walking Dead, I highly recommend the anime series "High School of the Dead" (streaming on Netflix and others). It is a very well done series similar to the "Walking Dead" that shows the zombie pandemic from its start to its conclusion. It excels in showing the panic and the breakdown of society and its very intense (It's rated TV-MA for some language, some partial nudity, and lots of violence).

Note 1: Watch at least a couple episodes before you decide. Episode 2 is where some survivors (main characters) group up for survival (like "The Walking Dead"). Episode 1 is mostly zombies munching on people.

Note 2: They show the conclusion to each episode (along with a next episode preview) after the closing credits (i.e. you can fast forward through the closing credits but don't go immediately to the next episode when you see the closing credits).

Did you notice that they stole the sound track from 28 days later? The first 4 episodes are worth while. From there its only ok.

Speaking of Walking Dead who was surprised by the show last night? I know that doesn't happen in the comic.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'm pretty speechless after watching the last episode. They are pretty much setting up Carl to be the most screwed up kid ever.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I enjoyed this episode, I like this kind of entertainment. I have to say if this was real life I think I'd now trust those inmates more than Carl. I think Carl is going to be a socialopath, kind of like the governor.

I'm pretty speechless after watching the last episode. They are pretty much setting up Carl to be the most screwed up kid ever.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

All the kids in the book (since there have been more of them than in the show) are screwed up in one way or another.

I think Carl is going to be a socialopath, kind of like the governor.

Comic Rick is already a sociopath in many ways, and Comic Carl along with him. (TV Rick is a bit watered down from the books, but maybe they're taking him there a bit slower.) While Comic Carl didn't have to put a bullet in his mom's head, he's certainly done and seen plenty to qualify him for the sociopath label.

B

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I have to get the comic.

All the kids in the book (since there have been more of them than in the show) are screwed up in one way or another.

Comic Rick is already a sociopath in many ways, and Comic Carl along with him. (TV Rick is a bit watered down from the books, but maybe they're taking him there a bit slower.) While Comic Carl didn't have to put a bullet in his mom's head, he's certainly done and seen plenty to qualify him for the sociopath label.

B

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I'm finding s03 too hardcore. It's almost always bad news with this series. As I say, difficult viewing and episode 4's casualties don't make it any easier.

Don't read the comics then. It is a brutal series and there is no "happy ending". It is one trial after another with death lurking around ever corner. I for one like it this way. This is how I picture it would be.

I am really digging the season. I haven't been disappointed really at all in any of the seasons so far. Season two a little slow in the middle but then it picked up and has not let down since.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Don't read the comics then. It is a brutal series and there is no "happy ending". It is one trial after another with death lurking around ever corner. I for one like it this way. This is how I picture it would be.

This. Issue 100 is particularly exemplary of this. Just when you think there's hope it get smashed to tiny little bits.

TV Woodbury seems like a very different place than in the book. At this point, it seems a bit more like Alexandria than the brutal place we met in the books.

The dynamic between the Governor and Michonne for instance starts off very differently which makes it more difficult for them to come around to a similar "resolution" on TV than they did in the books. The sheer brutality of their interactions would be far too much for TV. Even HBO probably couldn't do it justice, much less basic cable.

B

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
This. Issue 100 is particularly exemplary of this. Just when you think there's hope it get smashed to tiny little bits.

TV Woodbury seems like a very different place than in the book. At this point, it seems a bit more like Alexandria than the brutal place we met in the books.

The dynamic between the Governor and Michonne for instance starts off very differently which makes it more difficult for them to come around to a similar "resolution" on TV than they did in the books. The sheer brutality of their interactions would be far too much for TV. Even HBO probably couldn't do it justice, much less basic cable.

B

I couldn't agree more. I was wondering if they were going to go that far. From the previews I am seeing we might get a taste for it, but I don't think they will even touch the pure violence of the scene in question.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
I thought last nights episode was pretty good, the governor keeps getting more and more weird. I'll be surprised if Andrea stays after the barbaric event at the end.

Rick sure went ape cleaning out the walkers from the lower parts of the prison! I'll be curious whose on the other end of the phone.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I thought last nights episode was pretty good, the governor keeps getting more and more weird. I'll be surprised if Andrea stays after the barbaric event at the end.

Rick sure went ape cleaning out the walkers from the lower parts of the prison! I'll be curious whose on the other end of the phone.

I have not seen lasts night episode but if it is like the book. After Lori's death he starts down a path where he is hearing things and there is a sequence with the phone. It turns out to be no one but he thinks it is Lori. Nice little homage to the books!

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Andrea's character hasn't been particularly deep this season... sure, trust some random authority figure versus someone who has saved her life dozens, if not hundreds of times over the course of several months. My wife finds Andrea to be incredibly annoying... which disappoints me because she is much stronger/capable in the comics.

Ugh, how annoying... especially that scene where the Governor complains to Andrea about Michonne...

The Governor: "Yes, we have walkers. And I can't tell you the reason..."
Andrea: "Oh, okay."

Gahhhhhh... it makes me dislike her character so much, which totally conflicts with how she is in the graphic novels.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ugh, how annoying... especially that scene where the Governor complains to Andrea about Michonne...

The Governor: "Yes, we have walkers. And I can't tell you the reason..."
Andrea: "Oh, okay."

Gahhhhhh... it makes me dislike her character so much, which totally conflicts with how she is in the graphic novels.

I haven't read the comics so I don't have the frame of reference that you do, but I understand what you are saying. For a "TV only" viewer like me, her conversation with the Governor was not that odd. She is obviously caught up in the fantasy of having a safe place that resembles what the world used to be like. As for being worried about them having walkers, well, she's spent the last eight months with someone who kept two chained walkers as "pets". I think that would kind of desensitize you a little bit. Of course by the end of the episode she found out why they have walkers. We all know that she's going to eventually "see the light" and realize that Michonne is right about things.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I haven't read the comics so I don't have the frame of reference that you do, but I understand what you are saying. For a "TV only" viewer like me, her conversation with the Governor was not that odd. She is obviously caught up in the fantasy of having a safe place that resembles what the world used to be like. As for being worried about them having walkers, well, she's spent the last eight months with someone who kept two chained walkers as "pets". I think that would kind of desensitize you a little bit. Of course by the end of the episode she found out why they have walkers. We all know that she's going to eventually "see the light" and realize that Michonne is right about things.

Beat me to it, this is exactly what I was thinking also. She likes to have a place that resembles even just a little a place that she can call home without having to worry. In a way she is blinded. Annoying yes. But I can see what she wants and how she might go about getting it!

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan

Beat me to it, this is exactly what I was thinking also. She likes to have a place that resembles even just a little a place that she can call home without having to worry. In a way she is blinded. Annoying yes. But I can see what she wants and how she might go about getting it!
Yeah... it's just hard to reconcile with how she is in the comics. In the comics, she is probably only superseded by Michonne in terms of Female Bad Ass Factor.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Uncovered Spoilers Throughout!​

I just got back from a long vacation and watched 3 episodes of WD last night on DVR. I feel the need to talk WD and spew spoilers! :p

I hope my DVR recorded this... Just bought the little $4.95 iOS game. Hope it is worth it. :)

It is worth $5.00. I'll probably buy the package.

Yep, this season started off with a bang. The ax scene was definitely brutal. I totally didn't see that coming. I'm not fully understanding why Rick is ticked off at his wife. I know he was upset about her asking him to kill Shane, but after everything Shane did I think even Rick knew that taking him out was necessary.

If you remember at the end of last season, she asked Rick to kill Shane... then when he did, and told her that he killed Shane... she reacted... not as what you would expect when someone asks someone to kill someone and that person actually does what that first someone asked. Wow, hope that made sense.

But yeah, when Rick told her that he had killed Shane... she seemed a little more upset than what one might have expected. If I recall correctly, he even left out Carl's involvement.

So if I were Rick, and that was the way my wife reacted to something she asked for... no, demanded... I might think that perhaps she had more feelings for Shane remaining than I would have hoped.

The show sends mixed messages as compared to the comic. In both cases she was pregnant most likely with Shane's baby, but in the comic, Rick was not ever mad at her (not like in the show), however she was angry at Rick for some of the management decisions he makes once they arrive at the prison.

I hope they stick to the story of the comic. Its so much better. Shane being alive for as long as he was made me feel like I was watching the Butterfly effect part II.

I thought the power struggle between Rick and Shane was an asset to the story.

Some of the comic content is really really brutal. I mean if they didn't want shane to get blown away by the kid within the first couple episodes, I'm not sure if they will take some of the steps that made that arc really really intense.

Which arc are you referring to? The conflict in the woods (comic) escalated rapidly with Shane demanding his right to have Lori back and Carl shooting him before he could shoot Rick. In the comic, Lori had no issues with Shane being dead.

I'm going to navigate the middle here and say that some of the comic book content is better than the TV version, and some of the TV stuff is better. :)

My critique is that Season 1 is some of the best thriller TV I've ever seen. Season 2 they spent too much time on the farm, which seemed to drag looking for Sophia which the readers of the comic know, never happened. For whatever reason, IMO, Season 2 functions as a bridge to Season 3. She was never missing and did not die at that point. Season 3 has it's mojo back and I'm grovin once again! :)

My opinion of what has been brilliant in the show:
1. The entire first Season.
2. The sequence Morgan Jones trying to build up the nerve to shoot his wife.
3. The sequence where Andrea lovingly says goodby to Amy as she reanimates as a zombie. It was incredible.
4. The introduction of Daryl into the story. His reluctant acceptance into the group and his survival abilities and the zombie brawl in the woods.
5. The extended conflict between Rick and Shane.
6. Shane shooting Otis to facilitate his escape from zombie pursuit.

I'll probably think of some more. ;)

SPOILERS
Rick shoots them in the yard. I remember that. They aren't even prepared. Its more of a surprise right? Not just hey you threw that zombie my way so its time to die. It was a huge build up to him killing them. Plus they haven't even mentioned the weapon stash yet. I also feel as if the black chick with the katana meets rick before she meets the Governor.

When Rick shoots the prison leader, I like how it was portrayed in comic better. When Rick saves Dexter (comic character name) during a zombie fight, Dexter says "this changes nothing", and magically a stray bullet hits Dexter in temple. It was not so obvious as Rick gunning the man down. I thought it was humorous when Tyreese (a black football player who TDog substitutes for in the show), pulls Rick aside and says "You're gonna have to rethink this You Kill You Die policy" which Rick instituted after a particularly brutal, shocking event occurs in the prison, which has not occurred in the show. I've been waiting for it to pup up.

Spoiler...

I am wondering if the gentleman that lost his hand, was a way the show captured that part of the book. Instead of rick, lets pay homage to the book by taking this guys hand.

I'll point out that it was Merryl who took his own hand to escape the roof top, but I agree, that a hand has been sacrified! ;) I'm jumping back and forth between the show and the comic. In the comic I've only reached the point where there is a big show down between two groups at the prison. Everything is mixed up as compared to the comic. In the comic Michon saves Otis (who was killed off in Season 2 by Shane) and appears at the prison before Rick meets the Governor. I'm about to reread that part and forget who was with Rick when he meets the governor. In the comic, I don't remember Michon and Andrea meeting him first. Andrea never got separated from the group when they left the farm because in the comic, there was not a zombie swarm, Hershel just kicked them out. :)

Dale lost his leg in the prison in the book, of course he's not around in the show anymore...
B

Actually it was Alan who lost his leg in the comic. In the show, Alan was the abusive husband of Carol who, as I recall, died in the 1st Season due to zombie bite. In the comic, Alan is a decent person, who lost his wife Donna (not in the show) at Wilshire Estates (not in the show).

Big Spoiler Follows!​

Anybody catch tonight's episode???

Holy crap, holy crap, and holy crap!

I was blown away by two main characters dieing in the show tonight. Utterly shocked by Lori. I have no idea if she dies later in the comic because where I have read to, she is still pregant and still alive...

Not to start a flame war here, but I think I'm the only one who finds this show boring as hell and so melodramatic that it ain't funny? I admit the first season was great and showed promise of a great series, but really. It's like Days Of Our Lives now.

IMO, what makes this show great is human interaction and drama, in an adverse survival situation. Just being attacked by and killing or having great zombie battles in itself, is not enough to carry the show.

Big Spoiler Follows!​

B

I don't see Carl as a sociopath at all, at least as far as I've gotten reading (The Prison). In the show, Maggie offered to shoot her, but he felt a sense of responsibility to do what was right, like his Mom told him to. After his Mom died in the show, he could leave her there to turn into an abomination or he could put a bullet in her head and remember her as the loving mother she was. Now as far as Rick being a sociopath, as far as I've gotten in the comics and in the show, Rick is acting like a strong leader, maybe too strong at times, but not a sociopath. If you check out the definition, with sociopath's it's all about them, they have no feelings for anyone else. This is not Rick yet (as far as I have read, the prison).

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Actually it was Alan who lost his leg in the comic. In the show, Alan was the abusive husband of Carol who, as I recall, died in the 1st Season due to zombie bite. In the comic, Alan is a decent person, who lost his wife Donna (not in the show) at Wilshire Estates (not in the show).

?!?

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Dale_(Comic_Series)

Lori goes into labor and to keep the generator going Dale and Billy Greene search cars in the parking lot to refuel the generator. Dale is bitten by a Zombie, and is only narrowly rescued by the arrival of the raid party who quickly take Dale back into the prison in order to have his leg amputated. The right leg is amputated successfully and Dale is saved.

What book are you reading. ;) Unlike Alan, Dale survives the loss of limb as Hershel does in the show. EDIT: Maybe you just haven't read far enough to get there and also see what I mean about Carl also since you don't know what happens to Lori. Get beyond the prison and we'll talk.

B

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
?!?

What book are you reading. ;) Unlike Alan, Dale survives the loss of limb as Hershel does in the show. EDIT: Maybe you just haven't read far enough to get there and also see what I mean about Carl also since you don't know what happens to Lori. Get beyond the prison and we'll talk.

B

I agree, now that Lori is out of the picture in the show, I am really interested in knowing what is going to happen with this Arc.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
?!?

B

Oh, about Carl... Looking forward to reading that now. So far the show does not portray Carl as a bad person... :)

Regarding Alan vs Dale, all I can say is I just checked it in the comic. In Walking Dead Comic Episodes 20 and 21, in the prison, it is Alan who gets bit while he is helping Rick and Axel clear a cell block. Dale and Tyreese find the generator. Rick chops Alan's leg off somewhere below the knee. Hershel administers first aid to Alan partially by cutting some of Axel's hair to act as a bandage. Your source which is the same source I used for the quotes, at least the Dale section appears to be in error. I mean anyone can contribute to wiki. ;) No hard feelings though. :)

More evidence: http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Issue_20.
Rick, Tyreese, Dale, Allen, and Axel all go into A-Block, hoping to clear out the remaining zombies that they didn't kill in the shootout. After finding a library, the group splits up. Rick, Axel, and Allen go one way, and while Allen is taking a break to catch his breath, he is bitten on the ankle by a zombie. He shoots it, and Rick and Axel simply stare on.

Allen is lifted out of the prison block by Rick, Tyreese, Dale, and Axel. Despite protests from the other survivors, Rick cuts Allen's foot off to save him from infection. Hershel then saves Allen's life by tying Axel's hair to Allen's arteries to stop him from bleeding to death. Allen passes out and is carried into an empty cell to rest.

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Unfortunately the issue numbers sent so clear in the compendium 1-48, but the events I am referring to take place near the end of the Compendium, around issue 40. (EDIT confirmed that this is issue 40).

History has a tendency to repeat itself.

EDIT: Read all the way to issue 48 when they leave the prison.

EDIT 2: my opinions of Carl rely on events in issues 61-66, so you've got a lot of reading to do. ;)

B

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.