Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AT101ET

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2012
UK (London)
Hi,
Im thinking of getting a tablet soon. I currently have a 32GB iPod touch 5G.
I'm thinking of the iPad 4 32GB wifi only or the 32GB nexus 10.
My main uses are films, games, app usage and web browsing...
I personally like the simplicity of IOS but am willing to try android.
Is the nexus 10 better than the iPad in any other way besides the screen and price tag?

Also, how does the nexus 10 compare to its sister tablet the nexus 7?

thanks

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think the 7 is an excellent tablet and a great value.

I'm not convinced the 10 is as good a value, and no one except reviewers have used one yet. I'd wait a bit or just buy the iPad 4, which is a known quantity.

Don't get me wrong - I think the 10 is going to be a very nice tablet, with left and right speakers (much better for movie use) and some other perks, but... overall, while I can easily recommend the 7, I can't as easily recommend the 10 over the iPad 4. It's not much cheaper, and it's the first generation.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
"better" is a subjective term. The right choice is whatever works for YOU. There are millions of people so heavily invested in iOS apps that it doesnt matter what the competition puts out, they are only interested in i devices. Same can be said for Android. The thing that makes the Nexus 7 or 10 difficult is that you cannot walk into a store and try them out. Not too many people are willing to put out hundreds of dollars for a product they have never touched. Maybe wait for a friend to get a Nexus and try it out.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
The thing that makes the Nexus 7 or 10 difficult is that you cannot walk into a store and try them out. Not too many people are willing to put out hundreds of dollars for a product they have never touched. Maybe wait for a friend to get a Nexus and try it out.

It might be different for where you are

Here in the UK the Nexus 7 is available in stores so people can try it out, don't know about the 10, but have no reason to believe it wont be the same

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK

Unsure on the 10 as it's just new, but if it works as well as the 7 then it should be a very nice machine

films work very nicely, but if you have ones bought from itunes then there could be issues with drm
check the games/apps on the play store, some things are missing but there is usually an alternative

the nexus line can be as simple as you want them to be
when first used, enter your google id, this will set it up for you
then go to the play store, download an app and just select it on your home screen the same as iOS

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
"better" is a subjective term. The right choice is whatever works for YOU. There are millions of people so heavily invested in iOS apps that it doesnt matter what the competition puts out, they are only interested in i devices. Same can be said for Android. The thing that makes the Nexus 7 or 10 difficult is that you cannot walk into a store and try them out. Not too many people are willing to put out hundreds of dollars for a product they have never touched. Maybe wait for a friend to get a Nexus and try it out.

Office Depot, Staples, Walmart and many other electronics retailers carry the Nexus 7 and have them on display for you to try out.

It is true that Best Buy does not carry them, but they are around.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

It might be different for where you are

Here in the UK the Nexus 7 is available in stores so people can try it out, don't know about the 10, but have no reason to believe it wont be the same

Not sure where michaeljohn lives but the Nexus 7 is also available in stores here in the US as well--bought mine at Staples and also see Walmart sells it. I'd guess we'll also see the Nexus 10 in stores at some point as well, if not at launch.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I own two iPad's and a Nexus 7. I would get an iPad 4 before I bought a Nexus 10. And I would get an N7 before buying an N10.

wol

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
Hi,
Is the nexus 10 better than the iPad in any other way besides the screen and price tag?
thanks

Same here - still somewhat undecided between the iPad 4 and the Nexus 10 (both Wi-Fi, 32 GB). In terms of "raw" HW specs the Nexus 10 is more powerful (ARM A15 dual-core CPU vs. Apple's A6x, 2GB RAM vs. 1 GB RAM in the iPad 4), but this seems to be required to compensate for Android being less "efficient" than iOS (due to performance "issues" with the Java based OS and Apps in Android)

I tested an iPad 4 briefly today, and was quite impressed by its responsiveness, also when handling large images and PDF documents. What I didn't like was the black frame around upscaled iPhone apps, which fill the central 1920x1280 pixel of the display. Location services based on WiFi seem to be a good substitute for the lack of GPS (as long as there is some WiFi reception). Handling of the iPad 4 both in portrait and in landscape mode also felt nice, and it didn't seems to get warm or hot while in use.

What I like about the Nexus 10 is the inclusion of GPS, the better price point, the rubberized back, which promises better grip, and the mini USB port. With respect to Apps, it seems all the major ones I'm currently using on the iPhone are also available for Android (either the same or an equivalent). Wireless file transfer between devices (including my MacBook Air) promises to be easier than under iOS (more complete Bluetooth stack in Android). According to the technical specs, though, in portrait mode, the Nexus 10 screen is 1.5 cm narrower and 1.5 cm taller than the iPad screen. This might make it the less ideal device for web browsing and reading (in particular when dealing with PDF files).

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I haven't tried the N10 yet obviously, but own an iPad 3 and an N7. I would say the N7 is as good as the iPad 3 in every way and better in some areas. Specifically, I love NFC and its file transfer capabilities, notification center, Google Now, the flexibility of the OS UI, true GPS with free offline map downloading and OTG USB which I use for media storage via micro SD and Ethernet. YES ETHERNET. Sometimes I go places where there is only wired internet (getting less common but still around) it is just awesome to pop in a micro usb Ethernet dongle and have access. You can also use OTG for USB game controllers, like xbox controllers, keyboards and mice if you prefer not to use BT. That level of flexibility is HUGE IMHO.

In that regard I would say the N10 should be as good as the iPad 4 in terms of screen and power, so then it really comes down to which OS you prefer. Both have strong and weak points.

The N10 should be in stores to demo, I was able to demo the N7 before buying and within 5 minutes I knew it was the right device...I still waited for the iPad mini to be announced, once it was, I went right to the store and picked up the N7.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
The better performing product costs more. Apple puts more into their products than the opposing point of view acknowledges.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/ipad-4-gpu-performance-analyzed-powervr-sgx-554mp4-under-the-hood

51304.png

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Wait for a good Windows 8 Pro tablet- split screen tablet apps, plus the ability to run any Windows desktop programs you want.

If you want one of those two, get the iPad. It's going to perform much more smoothly than the Nexus, plus there are far more apps optimised for the iPad. You're going to get a stack of apps on the Nexus that aren't optimised for that screen size or that resolution- text will probably be ok, but graphics and images aren't going to fare as well.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The better performing product costs more. Apple puts more into their products than the opposing point of view acknowledges.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6426/ipad-4-gpu-performance-analyzed-powervr-sgx-554mp4-under-the-hood

Sorry but the mali 604t is much faster than the 554mp4. Hand picking a specific benchmark vs a prerelease product is not a valid comparison. Its well documented that the prerelease builds that were handed out to reviewers of 4.2 had some major performance issues that will be fixed in the final build. The proof of this is apparant in this benchmark where the adreno 225 beats the adreno 320. The adreno 320 is several magnitudes faster than the 225.
51313.png

Also notice how the optimus g with an identical soc does so much better than the nexus 4 with the same exact hardware. Wait for some proper builds of android 4.2 to be released. The benchmarks of the nexus 4 and nexus 10 are completely invalid.

Not to mention we know for a fact already that the cpu's in both the nexus 4 and nexus 10 wipe the floor with both the a6 and a6x.

Last edited:

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Sorry but the mali 604t is much faster than the 554mp4. Hand picking a specific benchmark vs a prerelease product is not a valid comparison.

Not to mention we know for a fact already that the cpu's in both the nexus 4 and nexus 10 wipe the floor with both the a6 and a6x.

Uh, hand-picking? Every benchmark, save for one, goes to the 554MP4. What world are you living in?

As well, I haven't seen the benchmarks that support your statement for the CPU's in the Nexus 4 and 10. I've seen ones where it goes back and forth, but they're all strictly web-based ones.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Sorry but the mali 604t is much faster than the 554mp4. Hand picking a specific benchmark vs a prerelease product is not a valid comparison. Its well documented that the prerelease builds that were handed out to reviewers of 4.2 had some major performance issues that will be fixed in the final build. The proof of this is apparant in this benchmark where the adreno 225 beats the adreno 320. The adreno 320 is several magnitudes faster than the 225. Image

Also notice how the optimus g with an identical soc does so much better than the nexus 4 with the same exact hardware. Wait for some proper builds of android 4.2 to be released. The benchmarks of the nexus 4 and nexus 10 are completely invalid.

I would be very surprised if that fact were true that it would go unmentioned in Anandtech's review. They don't miss details like that. I suspect what we are seeing is the Nexus' chip struggling to push that many pixels and possibly some power-saving routines.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hi,

Also, how does the nexus 10 compare to its sister tablet the nexus 7?

thanks
The Nexus 10 has a more powerful processor, but the iPad 4 has more powerful graphics, as well as a brighter display and from what I can tell so far, better battery life.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I would be very surprised if that fact were true that it would go unmentioned in Anandtech's review. They don't miss details like that. I suspect what we are seeing is the Nexus' chip struggling to push that many pixels and possibly some power-saving routines.

No its absolutely true. Just about every benchmark they ran came out dramatically low on both the nexus 4 and nexus 10. The proof is right in the fact that the nexus 4 scored about half as well as the identical optimus g in all the benchmarks.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
No its absolutely true. Just about every benchmark they ran came out dramatically low on both the nexus 4 and nexus 10. The proof is right in the fact that the nexus 4 scored about half as well as the identical optimus g in all the benchmarks.

Nevermind, I thought you said Nexus 10.

Get back to me when Anandtech verifies it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
What is a iPad 4? You talking about the iPad Mini?

----------

For the full Nexus 4 and 10 performance review you can read all about it here.

From my perspective the performance matches the price.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6425/google-nexus-4-and-nexus-10-review

I couldnt care less about benchmarks and there are many other reviews that test better than this one....and i dont mean bench marks. Just performance that they experienced.

Benchmarks are for geeks who care about numbers. I only care that everything loads fast and it zips around when im doing other things. Just dont care if another device is a millisecond or half second faster or slower.

I dont even know what most of those charts mean.

Last edited:

gdourado

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I read somewhere that android handles resolution in a whole different way from the ipad and that all apps for Android will scale and display correctly on the 299 ppi screen of the nexus 10.
Is that true?
What are the differences in handling resolution between the ipad and nexus?
The ipad had that problem when the retina launched that apps had to be rewritten for retina.

Cheers

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Sorry but the mali 604t is much faster than the 554mp4. Hand picking a specific benchmark vs a prerelease product is not a valid comparison. Its well documented that the prerelease builds that were handed out to reviewers of 4.2 had some major performance issues that will be fixed in the final build. The proof of this is apparant in this benchmark where the adreno 225 beats the adreno 320. The adreno 320 is several magnitudes faster than the 225. Image

Source that the CPUs in the Nexus devices beat the A6?
And absolutely no benchmark out there shows the 604t beats the SGX 554mp4
Everything points to Google overestimating their ability to power that 300ppi screen. Much like Apple did with the iPad 3, albeit to a smaller extent.
show me

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Umm, staples and several other stores have demo units out that you can play with.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The iPad is still the king of the tablet world. The apps make the difference for me. I don't want to spend $3-400 on a tablet just to browse the web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.