Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metallidud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
This happened 4 days ago. My 3 yr old 3GS was plugged into the car charger and was playing Pandora streaming music and I was also using GPS on Google Maps. All this activity heated up the phone and I received a Temperature Warning. I turned off the phone and let it cool off. Now whenever I turn it on, it shows the same temperature warning.

Changing the battery did not help. Resetting the phone (by pressing the home and power button) did not help. Keeping it off for 8-10 hours did not help. Connecting it to the laptop to see if I can access the hard drive did not help.

Has anyone experienced this and revived the phone ? I guess I toasted the hardware and there is no way out but I just wanna check here and see if there is any help. Google search showed some similar cases but most of them got the home screen back after cooldown and other forums didnt have any resolution.

Thanks in advance !
i should have backed up the phone more often. I will probably loose about 3-4 months of photos. I really hope that i can save the photos by some magic....
The warning screen looks like this : http://www.geek.com/gearlog/assets_c/2009/07/Apple iphone temperature warning-thumb-250x375-3185.jpg

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
This happened 4 days ago. My 3 yr old 3GS was plugged into the car charger and was playing Pandora streaming music and I was also using GPS on Google Maps. All this activity heated up the phone and I received a Temperature Warning. I turned off the phone and let it cool off. Now whenever I turn it on, it shows the same temperature warning.

Changing the battery did not help. Resetting the phone (by pressing the home and power button) did not help. Keeping it off for 8-10 hours did not help. Connecting it to the laptop to see if I can access the hard drive did not help.

Has anyone experienced this and revived the phone ? I guess I toasted the hardware and there is no way out but I just wanna check here and see if there is any help. Google search showed some similar cases but most of them got the home screen back after cooldown and other forums didnt have any resolution.

Thanks in advance !
i should have backed up the phone more often. I will probably loose about 3-4 months of photos. I really hope that i can save the photos by some magic....

Go to Apple store and make an appointment with Genius Bar. Apple has the best customer service in the world, and you should take advantage of that. If you are lucky they might swap your phone. :D

metallidud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Go to Apple store and make an appointment with Genius Bar. Apple has the best customer service in the world, and you should take advantage of that. If you are lucky they might swap your phone. :D

Thanks Hype..
Yes I already did. The guy didn't know what to do. He just asked me to buy a new phone. He said he could try doing a hardware reset but that would wipe out the pics/vids. So I thought Id wait and explore other options.
Thanks

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Thanks Hype..
Yes I already did. The guy didn't know what to do. He just asked me to buy a new phone. He said he could try doing a hardware reset but that would wipe out the pics/vids. So I thought Id wait and explore other options.
Thanks

Make another appointment and talk to another Genius guy.

This actually happened to my phone, same Temp message popped up because i left the phone in the car during the summer and it was 100+ degrees.I just let the phone cool down and it worked like normal again.

Maybe there's a temp sensor and it got busted? You can also try bringing it to a iPod Repair shop.

metallidud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Make another appointment and talk to another Genius guy.

This actually happened to my phone, same Temp message popped up because i left the phone in the car during the summer and it was 100+ degrees.I just let the phone cool down and it worked like normal again.

Maybe there's a temp sensor and it got busted? You can also try bringing it to a iPod Repair shop.

ok. I will try another Genius and see what happens.
I took it to one shop and the guy was pretty confident it was the battery. He changed the battery and it didn't make a difference. I have an appt with another iphone repair guy tomorrow. fingers crossed...
Thanks !

metallidud

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
update... I finally did a restore and it worked.. Unfortunately lost a few pics but at least the phone is back up. ios6 is working great on 3GS. Apple maps isnt great but browser based google maps works fine on ios6.

Thanks !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.