Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
I wanted to get some ideas on cool and fun things people are doing with their old iPhones. Please try not to mention recycling, passing it down, selling or anything like that.

Here are some ideas I had.

1. Dedicated black box for my car. I've been looking at some apps for this.
2. Alarm clock
3. MP3 and music streaming device connected to some speakers

Any other good ideas?

kannesss

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Above.
I wanted to get some ideas on cool and fun things people are doing with their old iPhones. Please try not to mention recycling, passing it down, selling or anything like that.

Here are some ideas I had.

1. Dedicated black box for my car. I've been looking at some apps for this.
2. Alarm clock

Any other good ideas?

What exactly do you mean black box for your car? That's really weird like a planes black box?
Why would you need that in your car?

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
What exactly do you mean black box for your car? That's really weird like a planes black box?
Why would you need that in your car?

I don't know about where the OP is located, but here in Korea, a black box for cars refers to video recording devices for the front, back or both. The primary use is for recording accidents.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I don't know about where the OP is located, but here in Korea, a black box for cars refers to video recording devices for the front, back or both. The primary use is for recording accidents.

If you leave it connected to a network i suppose you could use the findmyiphone app.

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
I think what he means is, that it's recording a video and got an app installed that (in case of an accident) automatically calls 911. I have read that there are apps that are capable of doing that (at least on other platforms)

jonomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005

You are absolutely correct.. I too live in Korea and alot of people here (as well as in Singapore) have a little device that records your driving to document accidents. Korea is the capital of car accidents, so they'll even lower your insurance rate if you have such a device.

I've seen some apps for it, but most of them require 3G access because it does extra features like calling 911 for you and stuff. All I would want is something that powered up and started when I start the car, save and turn off when I shut the car down.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008

I like this idea. My iPhone 4 is now connected to a set of speakers in my house. I use it for the iPod, stream music from Pandora and a local radio station.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I just kept my iphone 4 and my kids use it as an iPod touch. It still has wifi and apps, just no cellular connection. My wife wants me to sell it though.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
This isn't quite an iPhone but I use my now-unused iPod Touch as my dedicated Nike Training Club platform, given how it doesn't let me turn the screen off and prevent unnecessary battery drainage.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
You are absolutely correct.. I too live in Korea and alot of people here (as well as in Singapore) have a little device that records your driving to document accidents. Korea is the capital of car accidents, so they'll even lower your insurance rate if you have such a device.

I've seen some apps for it, but most of them require 3G access because it does extra features like calling 911 for you and stuff. All I would want is something that powered up and started when I start the car, save and turn off when I shut the car down.

keep us updated if you get this to work. I'd like to implement something very similar in a year when I have an extra iPhone laying around (right now just have two samsung galaxy S phones).

I do use my galaxy S as a meda player. I'll stream pandora on it when I can connect to the office next doors wifi.

jonomo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
keep us updated if you get this to work. I'd like to implement something very similar in a year when I have an extra iPhone laying around (right now just have two samsung galaxy S phones).

I do use my galaxy S as a meda player. I'll stream pandora on it when I can connect to the office next doors wifi.

If your Galaxy can push out to HDMI then it can be used as a pretty nice game console. Get some controllers you hook up via bluetooth and hook it up to your TV. There are some cool console replicators that'll let you play old Nintendo games and stuff..

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
If your Galaxy can push out to HDMI then it can be used as a pretty nice game console. Get some controllers you hook up via bluetooth and hook it up to your TV. There are some cool console replicators that'll let you play old Nintendo games and stuff..

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into it. My galaxy S (orig.) is kind of antiquated.

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010

In the US, 911 works without service and without even a sim. I keep my 3G and 3GS in our cars with games, movies, and (most importantly) Tomtom. An old iphone with tomtom and a charger is a full function GPS with the ability to call in an emergency.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.