Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
From John Gruber's blog:

"I’ve been asked by several readers why, if this is a seemingly better form factor, Apple didn’t go with this size for the original iPad. I think there are several factors. First, I don’t think they could have, technically. The original iPad in 2010 was pretty thick compared even to the iPad 2. If they couldn’t make it thinner then, I don’t think they could have made it smaller either — not at the same price points.

Second, thinness and weight aside, I think the 9.7-inch size was better to start with conceptually, to establish the iPad in consumers’ minds as something they might want to own."​

I enjoy reading Gruber's posts for the most part but sometimes I find it funny how he always seeks to rationalize everything Apple does. Nevermind Steve Job saying that the 9.7 iPad was the ideal form factor and rejecting the idea of smaller tablets, nevermind Apple being able to build a thin 3.5in smarphone using the same technology as the iPad.

It is quite simple, the market for 7in tablets is hot and growing rapidly and Apple decided to jump into it after realising that they were missing an opportunity. Apple didn't plan ahead to introduce the 9.7in iPad first because it was "better to start with conceptually" only to later introduce the iPad mini.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
At the macro level there is no single ideal size for a tablet. It is a matter of personal needs and preferences.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Steve jobs says 10inch was perfect and everyone agrees, now 7.8 is the perfect size

Lol, classic

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
At the macro level there is no single ideal size for a tablet. It is a matter of personal needs and preferences.

Of course, I agree that it is a matter of personal needs and preferences just like it is with smartphones.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Aside from whatever John Gruber is saying or what Steve Jobs said, what happened to all the forum posters who were saying 9.7 is the perfect size for them? Did they all change their mind? Or staying quiet? Just buried under the torrent of attention the mini is getting?

I did spend five minutes playing with the mini at an Apple store, and my first impression is that 9.7 is the right size for me, and 7.9 is a bit small, both in terms of viewing area, but also because I found the device size awkward to hold. It seems too big to hold with one hand, but kind of awkward to hold with two. I do love how light it is, though, and am hoping the next iPad (5) will be a lot lighter than the 2/3/4.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Try saying that 7 mo ago.

The amount of resistance towards larger phones and smaller iPads has been insane for the last few years because Apple was "perfect" with 3.5in and 9.7in screen choices. But now that Apple finally allowed a new size for both then suddenly everyone is being "open minded" about 4" phones and 7" tablets.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I think a 7 inch tablet and a 10 inch tablet are different devices. Yeah, they do pretty much the exact same thing but they feel radically different and lend themselves to different uses. Personally, as far as iPad goes I very much prefer the bigger iPad. As far as small tablets go, I think the Nexus 7 is the winner.

waltercln

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Steve jobs says 10inch was perfect and everyone agrees, now 7.8 is the perfect size

Lol, classic

That's what you wanted to hear, and blocked everything else out. Lots of people disagreed with this, including tech sites. Only problem was apple was only making one size so iOS fans really had no choice here, and they still enjoyed the experience. Now everyone has a choice and they are taking advantage of it. Has nothing to do with what jobs thinks is good or whatever you want to believe.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

The amount of resistance towards larger phones and smaller iPads has been insane for the last few years because Apple was "perfect" with 3.5in and 9.7in screen choices. But now that Apple finally allowed a new size for both then suddenly everyone is being "open minded" about 4" phones and 7" tablets.

Yeah. It's interesting. I've always wanted a bigger iphone screen. But to just make it taller... mmm... I wanted an overall bigger screen to be honest. But that's just because my eyes aren't great.

As for the smaller ipad. I think it might come down to the difference between women and children v men. Blokes don't carry handbags (unless they are poncy F1 drivers from europe) and they have bigger hands - 10 inch ipad is the go. Small hands and better portability need the smaller lighter ipad. Hey, that's a huge generalization but you get the idea.

I use my ipad for teaching in small groups and the 7inch just isn't big enough for that.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
That's what she said.

10 inches is overkill. Trust me.

----------

Weren't you the guy who said apple would NEVER release an ipad mini? There were tons of people saying that on this forum as late as last month, despite it being crystal clear that it would be released.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah. It's interesting. I've always wanted a bigger iphone screen. But to just make it taller... mmm... I wanted an overall bigger screen to be honest. But that's just because my eyes aren't great.

As for the smaller ipad. I think it might come down to the difference between women and children v men. Blokes don't carry handbags (unless they are poncy F1 drivers from europe) and they have bigger hands - 10 inch ipad is the go. Small hands and better portability need the smaller lighter ipad. Hey, that's a huge generalization but you get the idea.

I use my ipad for teaching in small groups and the 7inch just isn't big enough for that.

I'm a big tough man and I found the full-sized ipad too bulky to use comfortably for long periods of time. It felt like I was carrying around a laptop instead of a tablet. Maybe it's because my first tablet was a playbook, but the mini hits the sweet spot for me. Anything bigger (and more importantly, heavier) is just too much.

zauze

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
He's basically right though - a small iPad woulda been kinda useless if it was all thick and clunky. If you have to use two hands to hold it, it might as well be a decent size for two hands to use. But once you have the ability to make it that thin and light and usable with one hand, then to me it becomes a much more useful product.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Ipad mini is ugly. The thinner bezel made it ugly. Tablets should leave space for you to put your thumb on, even at 7 or 8 inch not everyone can palm it.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
John Gruber said the screen was bad before, so he "needs" to publish a positive post to balance it. His blog can't be negative to Apple. :D

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
9.7 inches is the ideal viewing size because we are used to the size of a standard piece of paper and many things are designed to fit in that proportion. If that tablet weighed as much as a sheet of paper, it would be perfect. (Tablet or electronic paper as depicted in the show Caprica.)

I'm not sure if 7.9 inches is the ideal viewing window but for now, it's weight is more ideal than a full sized iPad. Either way, I trust Apple (and hopefully other companies) are working on making things thinner and lighter so we'll get there at some point.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
9.7 inches is the ideal viewing size because we are used to the size of a standard piece of paper and many things are designed to fit in that proportion. If that tablet weighed as much as a sheet of paper, it would be perfect. (Tablet or electronic paper as depicted in the show Caprica.)

I'm not sure if 7.9 inches is the ideal viewing window but for now, it's weight is more ideal than a full sized iPad. Either way, I trust Apple (and hopefully other companies) are working on making things thinner and lighter so we'll get there at some point.

I think the only problem with the big iPad is that it's too heavy. If Apple finds out a way to reduce its weight then it will be the perfect size and weight. I have tons of PDFs in GoodReader. Most of them are originally for A4 size so 9.7" is closer to that size and is pleasant to my eyes.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Ipad mini is ugly. The thinner bezel made it ugly. Tablets should leave space for you to put your thumb on, even at 7 or 8 inch not everyone can palm it.

Agreed, I don't like the design of the iPad mini for the same reasons you point out. With such a thin bezel on the sides it just looks weird to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.