Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Starting at 10pm every night, you are permitted to select "Pick up in the store" for the iPad Mini. Last night was the first night, and I tried at both 10pm CT and 10pm PT, neither of which showed any availability in the 10 Houston area stores. (BGR said that is was 10pm local time, but the iPhone 5 was 10pm pacific time - that's why I tried both.)

Did anyone have successfully reserve one last night? What time did it update?

I'll be trying again tonight. For the iPhone 5 it was helpful to have a thread to talk with other people trying the same thing, that's why I started this one.

iAi

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
If you are looking for 64GBs black go to or check your nearest Best Buy. Or even better check store for availability in their website before you go there. I was able to get another one doing that.

Good luck to those trying this resevation system at 10:00 pm. It works! Just be patient and fast and accurate in your typing skills. Or do it around 9:55 - 10:15 pm your time. I might try and buy another white iPad mini.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I had zero success the last two nights. I tried from 9:55pm to 10:30pm local time both nights and saw no info refresh for any of the colors/capacities. After these failed attempts, I am wondering just how this system is supposed to work, and I started thinking this through.

If last night they had no inventory for reservation, is this based on what they had in the store last night as of 10pm? Or, is it based on in-store inventory at 10pm plus the next day's scheduled shipment(s)? If it is only taking into consideration what is in the store at 10pm, then if they sell out by the end of the day each day (which they will during the launch window) then there will never be any units for reservation which makes this system useless. Yet of course the store employees are telling us to go home and use the reservation system.

On the other hand, if the reservation system does include the next day's shipments also and both nights they showed nothing, then am I supposed to believe that they sold all launch units, and then will get no more shipments for at least three days straight, possibly more? I say this because two different store employees assured me that they got no shipments in on Saturday, and also said they do not receive any shipments on Sundays. Then last night's reservation system released no inventory. so that would mean that since launch day they have received nothing more from Apple. Does this seem right? Would Apple really go this long between shipments? I can see not getting any Saturday (and Sunday if they really receive no shipments Sundays), but to also not have anything the Monday after a launch seems a little odd. If they again have nothing tonight then I am starting to doubt this reservation system even works.

pantherus05

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
Not sure if I'm having good luck or what but 2 nights ago I reserved a 64GB White mini and last night I reserved a 16GB White mini. No issues. Refreshed right at 10PM local time. South Florida area.

And I wasn't expecting anything last night since it would imply Sunday delivery, but nonetheless they popped up IN STOCK!

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Not sure if I'm having good luck or what but 2 nights ago I reserved a 64GB White mini and last night I reserved a 16GB White mini. No issues. Refreshed right at 10PM local time. South Florida area.

And I wasn't expecting anything last night since it would imply Sunday delivery, but nonetheless they popped up IN STOCK!

This is really frustrating to read. You and I are having night and day different experiences. When I say nothing is being refreshed in the system, I am not only looking at my two nearby Apple stores in Austin, but also San Antonio, Houston and Dallas.

I should say I did see some availability for the 64Gb models at a few of the stores, but I can only afford the 16GB. It just seems strange to me in a state as large as Texas, with several large metro areas, that so few stores reported having 16GB stock. If it were only Austin, it might seem more realistic, but it almost seems like certain geographic regions are being treated differently.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah, I successfully reserved on on Saturday night.

Too bad when I went to the store on Sunday and today they told me that they "couldn't find it". It was in stock, they just couldn't find it.

Whatever that means.

pantherus05

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
This is really frustrating to read. You and I are having night and day different experiences. When I say nothing is being refreshed in the system, I am not only looking at my two nearby Apple stores in Austin, but also San Antonio, Houston and Dallas.

I should say I did see some availability for the 64Gb models at a few of the stores, but I can only afford the 16GB. It just seems strange to me in a state as large as Texas, with several large metro areas, that so few stores reported having 16GB stock. If it were only Austin, it might seem more realistic, but it almost seems like certain geographic regions are being treated differently.

Just out of curiousity I kept refreshing to see how long they lasted and the 16GBs disappeared at around 10:04. I was shocked to see them in stock at all.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
I am a patient and understanding person. I will give this online system tonight and tomorrow night to show some different behavior. But if it goes unchanged I'll be calling a store manager about it to get some explanations. But for me so far, it is a major problem when I am constantly refreshing and seeing no activity with any of the 10 stores listed in my search. You would think at least 2-3 stores would have at least some inventory activity, even if it is only for a minute.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I am a patient and understanding person. I will give this online system tonight and tomorrow night to show some different behavior. But if it goes unchanged I'll be calling a store manager about it to get some explanations. But for me so far, it is a major problem when I am constantly refreshing and seeing no activity with any of the 10 stores listed in my search. You would think at least 2-3 stores would have at least some inventory activity, even if it is only for a minute.

have you read the Iphone forum Apple store reservation thread? Waiting is the norm. Apple is out of stock now so all the mini come straight out of the manufacturing line in China to US. And they will have to distribute it to different region and stores within the regions. The availability will come in burse. One night all the store in your region will be part of the same major shipment that has the same size mini available. Once it is gone, you won't have one for awhile...

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
have you read the Iphone forum Apple store reservation thread? Waiting is the norm. Apple is out of stock now so all the mini come straight out of the manufacturing line in China to US. And they will have to distribute it to different region and stores within the regions. The availability will come in burse. One night all the store in your region will be part of the same major shipment that has the same size mini available. Once it is gone, you won't have one for awhile...

No I haven't read that thread. It is very interesting if true, and can likely help me to plan my purchase strategy, but it doesn't seem like a fair approach to choose certain regions to get plenty of stock while neglecting others. I guess if this is true then maybe Apple is having issues producing these in high numbers and has to handle it this way.

Since my region has seen nothing so far then we must be due for a major influx of inventory soon. I can't see them neglecting us for much further before they risk angering a big portion of their customer base.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Based on my experience doing this last month for the iPhone 5, I too agree that it comes in burst.

Sounds like last night there just wasn't a big shipment into the US. It stands to reason a shipment will come within a few nights. I was in the Apple Store Sunday afternoon and the manager told me "Just check back Tuesday", I said what about Monday, and he just repeated "I'd check back Tuesday". So hopefully we will have some luck tonight. I'll be in this thread around 10pm CT.

mapexvenus

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
Starting at 10pm every night, you are permitted to select "Pick up in the store" for the iPad Mini. Last night was the first night, and I tried at both 10pm CT and 10pm PT, neither of which showed any availability in the 10 Houston area stores. (BGR said that is was 10pm local time, but the iPhone 5 was 10pm pacific time - that's why I tried both.)

Did anyone have successfully reserve one last night? What time did it update?

I'll be trying again tonight. For the iPhone 5 it was helpful to have a thread to talk with other people trying the same thing, that's why I started this one.

How does one reserve this? Does a link appear on the Apple store, or should I call the store?

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
The secret to doing this Reservation process is to use the Apple Store App. Put the iPad you want into your cart, and at 10pm it will allow you to select "Pick Up" and then show you which stores nearby have the one you want.

pantherus05

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
How does one reserve this? Does a link appear on the Apple store, or should I call the store?

I used Apple.com on my Macbook. Add the item you want to your Cart and when the clock strikes 10PM (local time) refresh the browser. You will see the option to Pickup In Store appear select and type in your ZIP CODE. If there are any available in the surrounding area... BUY BUY BUY! :)

Good luck

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Based on my experience doing this last month for the iPhone 5, I too agree that it comes in burst.

Sounds like last night there just wasn't a big shipment into the US. It stands to reason a shipment will come within a few nights. I was in the Apple Store Sunday afternoon and the manager told me "Just check back Tuesday", I said what about Monday, and he just repeated "I'd check back Tuesday". So hopefully we will have some luck tonight. I'll be in this thread around 10pm CT.

This is very helpful info. I'll be ready tonight.

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
My buddy was able to reserve one today last night...so i know it works. He said the only option available was a White 32gb...so obviously that's the only one they had in stock. It does work, just gonna be luck of the draw in terms of stores getting inventory.

MicroByte

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Stupid question, but is it 10pm in your respective time zone or a specific time zones 10 pm (like Eastern or Pacific)?

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Most current reports are 10pm local time, however for me personally I know it was 10pm Pacific time for the iPhone 5. I think it's local time, just letting you know that caveat.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Most current reports are 10pm local time, however for me personally I know it was 10pm Pacific time for the iPhone 5. I think it's local time, just letting you know that caveat.

I don't think so because even for the iPhone 5 it was 10pm local time as well. I live in the central time zone and at 10pm the stock changed to available so therefore iphone 5 is also 10 pm local.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
I don't think so because even for the iPhone 5 it was 10pm local time as well. I live in the central time zone and at 10pm the stock changed to available so therefore iphone 5 is also 10 pm local.

That may be true (1) for you (2) currently. But for me, the Sunday after iPhone 5 release, it was absolutely 10pm pacific. I know because we were all on here in a similar thread discussing how we could see stock, but could not purchase yet.

Again, I do suspect it will be 10pm local time for iPad Mini.

dinosaur1

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2007
Can someone tel me the proper way to do the refresh? Can I use the Apple app or should i uđe my laptop?

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Can someone tel me the proper way to do the refresh? Can I use the Apple app or should i uđe my laptop?

We did. Above. Read. Use the app.

----------

It's only 8:46 pm CT and mine is allowing me to select "Pick up" in store radio button, but shows no availability anywhere in the US for 16GB White. That probably means the databases aren't up yet.

East Coast will hit 10pm local in 15 minutes, let us know what happens guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.