Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
After 3 days looks retina to me. The screen doesn't bother me at all. The human body is made to adapt if you guys didn't know. All those bad comments about the screen were more like first expressions not actual daily usage. Because I must admit. The first day I was like ehh. Look at that pixel, look at that one! Now I don't notice them at all unless I stare and look for them. I was also able to do this with my iPad 3.

So those that are holding back because "not retina" should buy it. You have 15 days to return it. If after 14 days you feel the screen still bothers you (I doubt it will) just return it.

Last edited:

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I think it's 14 days return policy for any product purchased from Apple Store, with the exception of the iPhone (which is 30 days).

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I think it's until January 31 for any product purchased within the holiday period :)

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
the bad thing is i have an iphone 5 too. so whenever after looking the iPhone 5, the iPad mini seems pixelated, but not as bad as the old iPad 2

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It will take a few days for your eyes to get adjusted coming from a retina device. The human brain will adapt, though.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
After 3 days looks retina to me. The screen doesn't bother me at all. The human body is made to adapt if you guys didn't know. All those bad comments about the screen were more like first expressions not actual daily usage. Because I must admit. The first day I was like ehh. Look at that pixel, look at that one! Now I don't notice them at all unless I stare and look for them. I was also able to do this with my iPad 3.

So those that are holding back because "not retina" should buy it. You have 15 days to return it. If after 14 days you feel the screen still bothers you (I doubt it will) just return it.

You are absolutely right, the screen got better on ipad mini after using it several days. When i have ipad 2 a few years ago, the screen is gorgeous, and after switching it to ipad 3 , ipad 2 looks bad. However, when i first saw my ipad mini it was a really bad screen but after using it several days, it dramtically looks better, same experience i had when i first get my ipad 2

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I love mine too! You know they will be releasing a retina miny soon and it will blow everyone away. The minibwith a retina display and the a6 is a deadly combo! I bet we see it in the next 4-6 months but this one is fine for me.

nickftw8686

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2011
I went from a nexus 7 to the mini and did not see a big difference, both screens are nice to me... Maybe if i was used to a retina device i would of noticed a huge difference but I can read things without my eyes hurting and its clear, that is a winner for me lol.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
3 days in for me, coming from a ipad3 and a 4S phone. I immediately thought the screen was not hard to read, but washed out vs the other apple stuff I own. But never a problem with the "little fonts" or reading the web. But in using it out of the house, on business, and in general carrying it around, it's really nice. Yeah, I'll buy a retina when they do it, but am not lamenting my purchase whatsoever now....

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
the bad thing is i have an iphone 5 too. so whenever after looking the iPhone 5, the iPad mini seems pixelated, but not as bad as the old iPad 2

I have a 5 too. But to be honest my iPhone has been getting no love after I got my mini. I use the mini all day and carry it everywhere my iPhone just stays in my pocket waiting for a phone call and tethering to the iPad when I'm on the go. :D

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA

WOW REALLY?!?! THAT'S NEWS TO ME!!! I wonder why that is. Could it be the laws of physics actually work as intended? This is certainly the first time I'm hearing about this.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
You will adapt in that you'll kind of forget about it and it will seem normal. It won't make reading full page, unzoomed text any easier in portrait mode, though.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
so funny, force yourself to like the product by saying that you look at the hideous screen long enough you will start to like it.

Why not just get new retina ipad and not having to wait to get used to ugly screen????

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
No regrets selling my iPad 3. The size and weight of this mini is perfect! Perfect!

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
so funny, force yourself to like the product by saying that you look at the hideous screen long enough you will start to like it.

Why not just get new retina ipad and not having to wait to get used to ugly screen????

What OP said is true...

I have been using it since day 1... and now it does not bother me at all.

I can even switch between mini, iPad 3 and iPhone 5 and mini is no longer an eyesore...

Strange isn't it? Mind boggling...

Hello...

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
I also noticed this. When I sold my ipad three only for the first day did I miss the retina display after that everything seems normal.

M

Mr.damien

After 3 days looks retina to me. The screen doesn't bother me at all. The human body is made to adapt if you guys didn't know.
Yeah, and it's even more true when I take a look at games I was playing on NES when I was kid.

My brain was adding frames and details to the screen that stayed in my memory that wasn't there once I played the games again on emulation :D

Mikhailov

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
Yeah, and it's even more true when I take a look at games I was playing on NES when I was kid.

My brain was adding frames and details to the screen that stayed in my memory that wasn't there once I played the games again on emulation :D

It's the same when I play Super Mario Bros. 3 on my 50" Plasma HDTV. It looks horrible, but it doesn't make it any less fun to play, but that game was state of the art graphics at the time.

I imagine it's the same going from iPad 3 to iPad mini. It's tough to look at, but no less fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.