Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle Sherriff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Hey all.
I do apologise If I am posting this in the wrong section but bare with me as I'm new to the forum! Anyhow onto my question.

I am currently looking to purchase a Mac for music production, this time I've decided to go with a desktop istead of a laptop as it's just more practical for Music, anyhow after thinking back and fourth I narrowed my discisions down to 2 options.

The late 2012 Ivy Bridge Mac Mini - i5 (My first choice)
Or
The 2009 Mac Pro. (If I have to)

I understand these are both very different machines but here me out! :)

The reason I have picked these machines is because they have one thing in common, they dont come with monitors, obviously. (Like the iMac)

I'm looking to run 2 2560x1440 27" monitors they are the the
[QH270-Lite] Achieva ShiMian 27" IPS monitors. they are essentially a budget thunderbolt display. However here is my problem.

the monitor requires a DVI-D only to power it at full resolution. Now, is there any way in hell I can power two of these monitors from a Mac mini?

(WITHOUT using a Matrox Duel Head To Go type product that gives you one big display)

As the Mac mini would be much more cost effective and practical than the Mac Pro I've tried almost every forum I can think of to find an answer to this, and there doesnt seem to be any clear cut way of powering both monitors from the Mac Mini. I don't mind using something like a USB 3.0 adapter to DVI-D to power the second monitor, even if it's a big laggy) But there is a small problem.. I can't seem to find one that supports 2560x1440.

If you guys have ANY idea how I can power both of thease monitors without using a Matrox DuelHead2Go Type product that links both displays into one big display, please let me know.

Here is the link to the Ebay listing insace I've missed something screemingly obvious, Thanks!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QH270-Lit...8554?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4ab5f0365a

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have an older Mini so not speaking from authority here, but I would presume you would hook one monitor up to the HDMI port (using the HDMI-DVI adapter included with the Mac Mini), and use a Mini-DP to DVI adapter to drive the 2nd monitor from the Thunderbolt port. That's been my plan when I upgrade my Mini in a few months, hopefully it will work :)

TRAV9614

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
I have an older Mini so not speaking from authority here, but I would presume you would hook one monitor up to the HDMI port (using the HDMI-DVI adapter included with the Mac Mini), and use a Mini-DP to DVI adapter to drive the 2nd monitor from the Thunderbolt port. That's been my plan when I upgrade my Mini in a few months, hopefully it will work :)

The hdmi adapter will only support a resolution of 1920x1080.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
so you want to push 2 1440p monitors with an intel hd4000 integrated gpu. lets say the 2012 mini came with 2 t-bolt ports and the hook up was easy peasy. (not true but just saying) do you expect good quality video moving all those pixels around with the 4000 gpu?

not going to be great. so you are stuck with a mac pro. I think a 2010 mac pro will let you drop in a gtx 670 and your problems will be solved. cost more like 2k or 2.5 k vs 700 or so.

Kyle Sherriff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
so you want to push 2 1440p monitors with an intel hd4000 integrated gpu. lets say the 2012 mini came with 2 t-bolt ports and the hook up was easy peasy. (not true but just saying) do you expect good quality video moving all those pixels around with the 4000 gpu?

not going to be great. so you are stuck with a mac pro. I think a 2010 mac pro will let you drop in a gtx 670 and your problems will be solved. cost more like 2k or 2.5 k vs 700 or so.

I might well just buy a Mac Pro. Which is the cheapest model I can get which would support 2 2560x1440 monitors? or atleast the one with the GPU that would handle it.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
FreakinEurekan said:
I have an older Mini so not speaking from authority here, but I would presume you would hook one monitor up to the HDMI port (using the HDMI-DVI adapter included with the Mac Mini), and use a Mini-DP to DVI adapter to drive the 2nd monitor from the Thunderbolt port. That's been my plan when I upgrade my Mini in a few months, hopefully it will work
The hdmi adapter will only support a resolution of 1920x1080.
OK, I see HDMI only supports single-link DVI. Should handle my 1600x1200 OK but not a good solution for the OP. Thanks for the clarification.

DitteVilladsen

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
In addition to a dual line DVI, a mini-DisplayPort to (regular) DisplayPort cable should give you the 2640 x 1440 resolution. That's what I'm using on my Dell U2417HM display. The DisplayPort cable is a third of the price of a dual line DVI cable.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Suggestion:
Get the i7 Mini instead of the i5.

The extra cores may help with processing power, particularly if you run a lot of plugins...

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
It is possible to drive 2560x1440x40Hz out the mini's HDMI port using switchresx. I have a QH270 variant at home (the one with HDMI/vga/etc) and it will *not* work at 40Hz.

But the Auria EQ276W will ($399 from microcenter) - I have that and 30" (2560x1600x60Hz) hooked up to a 2011 mini for my work setup.

In theory, the HDMI port on the mini can support the bandwidth, and I believe others have managed to do 2560x1600x60Hz through windows. But no luck doing it under OSX that I'm aware of.

I suspect for music work you'd be fine with 40Hz.

Kyle Sherriff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Thanks for all your suggestions guys, however I am going to buy a Mac Pro I think. I like watching allot of movies so I think an 8 core mac pro with 2x DVI-D ports is perfect for what I need, I'll have to work a few extra shifts to get it but who cares!

Cheers all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.