Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frozzbite

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
Just came back from the Genius Bar.

So my power button is obviously loose and is rattling, I showed this to the Genius and he said that it was the vibrator motor. He then said that his team has tested a wide range of iPhone 5s and concluded that it is a normal issue.

Then I insisted that it was the power button. I even got him to shake the phone with the button slightly pressured. The difference was really quite obvious. But for some reason, he was still insistent that it was the vibrator motor which was an accepted issue. He went about looking hard at the button and started shaking it a little and concluded that the button's (shakyness?) was within tolerance. Seriously? Who is he to say it is within tolerance. I find it hard to believe an Apple Store genius would know anything about tolerance measures.

In the end, I was turned away empty handed. Bad day.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
So here is my story.. I bought a white iphone on launch day. After 2 weeks of use my iphone suddenly stopped charging. It would say it's charging when I plugged it in but the battery wouldn't charge. I then noticed it suffered from the thumping problem when you shook it. It felt like something big was loose inside and was thumping around in the case. Plenty of youtube videos on this issue if you are curious. Most people believe it's the battery that is loose.

So i made an appointment with the genius bar and the guy immediately said yeah that's not normal I'll swap your phone out for a new one. So I got my new phone on Saturday and noticed right away it had a slight rattle near the camera. Apparently a lot of people have this issue so I didnt think too much about it but a part of me just didnt feel happy with a brand new phone that rattled. Plus it had a very very tiny itty bitty minute scuff that was barely noticeable. Anyways decided to make an appointment with a genius bar again just to see if they would swap it again. The guy at first said sometimes a tiny bit of rattle is normal but he would open it up and take a look at it. My decision to finally go in was because none of the store display models rattled and neither did my coworkers.

So the dude comes back and asks "Have you ever opened your phone before?" I'm like "uhhh Noooo. why?" He answers ".. well your phone is missing a part" I was like "What??? Good thing I came in then" and asked what part it was missing. He told me it was missing the 3 screws and a metal bracket that holds down the connector for the display and that was what was causing the rattle. He said it's very very strange that a part would be missing and that the replacement units are all brand new from apple now and not refurbs. Anyways of course he offers to swap out the phone so now i have a scuff free and rattle free phone so I am mostly happy except there is a piece of plastic wrapper that is stuck in between the edge of the display and the plastic bezel and it wont come out. Looks like i may need to go back for them to open the display to remove it.. ARGHH apple and their QA has definitely gone down hill.

Anyways just wanted to share in case others are hesitant to take in their rattling phone it might be worth it to just check it out. Also it's good to know the white box replacements are all new now. He did say in a couple of weeks/month they may start becoming refurbs.

interesting. i have been wondering if those with pronounced rattling could just be the result of a loose screw somewhere (or missing in your case). but i don't have a pentalobe screw driver to open it up. i did open up my old ip4 to tighten things down, but that was an early model with the regular #00 phillips screws.

eaglefox12

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Update Update Update...

After reading yohimeow's post I finally decided to make an appointment at my nearest apple store... My battery drained pretty fast... Maximum standby time I got was 24hrs and usage time was 7hr with light use... besides the rattle noise kept bothering me(when i shaked it) and also it got hot by merely playing a game...

So I tell the genius, m not happy with battery... and showed him the screenshot... he was like... yeah.. that's not normal... then i told him about the rattle noise... he goes... yeah that's the power button... and all he did was test my iphone by plugging it in his mac and then he came out with a new iphone... :)

Now, i don't hear the rattle sound when I shake it.. it's SILENT... will let ya'll know how the battery shows up... but you guys should go and have your phone checked out... they KNOW about these issues... and besides.. they run a test on your phone... and instantly know if it's defective...

yeah good luck.. My original phone had super crappy battery life too. . About 5-7 hours of use TOPS. . the 2nd one with the missing part had an amazing battery (only went through one charge but it felt way better. At the end of the day I still had over 50%).

Haven't really tested the battery out on my new phone so I'll see how it holds up. Someone mentioned resetting all your settings and that might improve battery life if you restored from a backup.

Good luck with your rattle and battery issue. Doesnt hurt to just go in and ask. For the most part the genius bar peeps try to help you out.

yoshimeow

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
awesome glad my post inspired you to take your iphone in and glad you got a new rattle free iphone :) My new phone is working out great no rattles and the battery seems to be holding up just fine. Good luck on you battery issue if you are still seeing bad battery life you may want to try resetting your settings. Dont worry it wont erase your data.

Good luck with the new phone.

Update Update Update...

After reading yohimeow's post I finally decided to make an appointment at my nearest apple store... My battery drained pretty fast... Maximum standby time I got was 24hrs and usage time was 7hr with light use... besides the rattle noise kept bothering me(when i shaked it) and also it got hot by merely playing a game...

So I tell the genius, m not happy with battery... and showed him the screenshot... he was like... yeah.. that's not normal... then i told him about the rattle noise... he goes... yeah that's the power button... and all he did was test my iphone by plugging it in his mac and then he came out with a new iphone... :)

Now, i don't hear the rattle sound when I shake it.. it's SILENT... will let ya'll know how the battery shows up... but you guys should go and have your phone checked out... they KNOW about these issues... and besides.. they run a test on your phone... and instantly know if it's defective...

scyap

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
Guys, when you say it's the power button.......... Does it still rattle when you hold your power button down firmly?

Mine does, and it's pretty loud, had this rattling problem only after 3-4 months of usage. Never dropped it before.

I compared it with a 4S camera rattling sound and it's definitely not the camera lens.

sergiozambrano

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
My iPhone4 is way better

I remember accessing the same websites three years ago, and they loaded same fast as the iPhone5 today, and became super slow before to hate it months ago. Now, it everything loads fast again, what a coincidence.
I'm a webmaster, and I can tell when I'm accessing a way more heavier page (scripts, images, etc)

So it seems like the stop in os support (for memory leaks, errors, etc) is what makes the phone older. The internet seems a flash now, but I remember it was SAME FAST as soon as I first owned the iPhone4… and before with the iPhone3, etc.

I can't find a real reason why we change the phones other than "because Apple wants" (cutting bugs fixing, really finishing new features that new developers just start using now, but we paid for years ago, believing they were really working, and just realize today they were "thrown in" barely in a "testing" period. Then the updates are really not finished and a new phone comes.

My iPhone 4 DOESN'T make the rattling noise. I still have it with NO SCRATCHS. It fell to the pavement and road's concrete about 3-4 times. No scratches. One of them, on the roughest newest road, it fell like a sliding snowboard with the glass flat against the road, no scratches (one smaller than you can tell without a loupe).

This one is lighter, and the paint on the frame borders seems like it will peal-off next month.

The noise suppression system doesn't listen to the proximity sensor to STOP canceling the noise when MY OWN VOICE enters through both (or the three) microphones at the same time, making the phone believe it's ALL NOISE, and cutting my voice completely. So moving the phone away the face to read a number in the agenda out loud to the person I'm speaking with turns ON the screen but keeps canceling the noise entered by the top of the phone (my own voice)

The answer of the Apple Guru (not a guru, but the same girl registering the appointments) suggested me "NOT to wait for newer phones to request a replacement", based on the scarcity of the units. It was a "it's this or nothing" kind of answer.

At this point ANYONE taking apart an iPhone5 could tell what the noise is.

I thought the motion stabilizer was the culprit, but it can't be since it's not optical, but digital.

The button at the top is solid stuck, even pressing it down.
All my other iPhones never made a noise like that and I don't have to hit this one too strong to hear it. Just hold it against your ear and tap it gently with one finger. GENTLY. That's enough to hear it. Shaking it for a "undo" definitely makes the noise.

For the ones who says "a camera with an auto-focus lens makes that noise"…*You've been lied with all your phones. Mine never did nor do (I still have it), and YES it (iPhone4) auto-focuses… doesn't make noises, it won't scratch, and the voice is not cut-off in middle of a conversation because I moved the phone away from my ear to let it cool off.

It seems the "replacement" units are older and even probably refurbished (the first one the Apple Support representative brought had the frame nicked and the protective film with hand-palm and finger prints.

So I'll return this unit and I'll wait until they stop speculate with we losing the first month to ask for a replacement before they say anything officially about the issues we all read about and could really tell what it is if we had the right screw-driver. No need for a engineer degree to see what's causing it.

I can't believe Apple's silence about all this.

Last edited:

scyap

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2010
Damn genius bar guy kept insisting that the rattle was normal due to camera lenses and even said that his own iPhone's rattling sound is louder.

I shook some 10-15 iPhone5s' at the store and about 40% of them did rattle :(

Couldn't get a replacement, he took it to the back and came back saying the internals were fine

ecy27

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
same here

Both my new iPhones rattle when tapped on the back. Get over it!

i got my 5 yesterday. then i just realized the rattle sounds. at first i didn't make a fuse about it. but its disturbing. so my bf just give it a try then tap it hard at the back or should i say press it hard and then boom the sounds is gone ;)

geek36

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2012
mine has a little rattling sound. and i think it came from the power/wake up switch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.