Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Google should just let us pre-order it right now. Also, why haven't they announced the pricing for the wireless charging orb?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Was it even confirmed that it'll be available to order at midnight? I definitely would if it was available in Ireland.

No it hasn't been confirmed, but I'll probably stay up to see if it is available at midnight :)

I gotta say, being as big of an Apple fanboy as I am, after the disappointing iPhone 4S release, iPhone 5 release, and iOS 6, I am ready to try something different.

Google should just let us pre-order it right now. Also, why haven't they announced the pricing for the wireless charging orb?

Agreed. And no idea. If it is under $50, I will probably get it. Any more and I will need to think it over. But with the glass back, I am thinking I will need a case first.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
No it hasn't been confirmed, but I'll probably stay up to see if it is available at midnight :)

I gotta say, being as big of an Apple fanboy as I am, after the disappointing iPhone 4S release, iPhone 5 release, and iOS 6, I am ready to try something different.

Agreed. And no idea. If it is under $50, I will probably get it. Any more and I will need to think it over. But with the glass back, I am thinking I will need a case first.

If its more than $40 im not getting it. Im fine using the cord. Not like im going to lug it around with me. Plus mine WILL be in a case because of the glass back so dont know if it will even stay on the orb with a case on it. If not, i wont get one.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
If its more than $40 im not getting it. Im fine using the cord. Not like im going to lug it around with me. Plus mine WILL be in a case because of the glass back so dont know if it will even stay on the orb with a case on it. If not, i wont get one.

I read somewhere that they will be release a sort of "bumper." In which case, it will protect against most drops and still keep wireless charging abilities.

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
It's tradition. : rolls eyes :

[Speaking specifically about smartphones...]

No seriously, Google sucks at launching these things. The Nexus One had no fanfare whatsoever, but was ironically the "best" Nexus launch. The Nexus S was released via Best Buy and was delayed for a reason I don't remember. The Galaxy Nexus was exclusive to Verizon and was delayed (by Verizon, though) and came with bloatware (then ended up a mess that would eventually lead to Google hating carriers). And now the Nexus 4 with unfinished software to tarnish early reviews.

This year is particularly critical for Google and the Nexus smartphone because it's so obvious they're trying to attract the average consumer away from carrier contracts with better build quality, with the low price point, and the establishment of the Play Store. It's also vital for the Nexus line to take off so Google can forge the relationship they want with the carriers for future LTE/CDMA devices. This isn't the right start.

Oh well.

Talking about build quality..
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/nexus-4-battery-shot-reveals-potential-quality-issues/

"Tape used instead of structure and shielding - A well designed device will use its own structure to hold components in place. Tape is a disposable part. Disposable parts have no place inside of a properly designed device. The disadvantage here is tape can take components off the board when removed. Tape is also messy, and leaves residue on a board and other components. There is never a situation when using tape instead of physical structure is required, and the use of tape is often a harbinger for other build quality problems."

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
http://www.xda-developers.com/android/nexus-4-battery-shot-reveals-potential-quality-issues/

"Tape used instead of structure and shielding - A well designed device will use its own structure to hold components in place. Tape is a disposable part. Disposable parts have no place inside of a properly designed device. The disadvantage here is tape can take components off the board when removed. Tape is also messy, and leaves residue on a board and other components. There is never a situation when using tape instead of physical structure is required, and the use of tape is often a harbinger for other build quality problems."

Considering the fact that it is only $300, did you really expect it to be of the same build quality of a $700 iPhone?

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
Considering the fact that it is only $300, did you really expect it to be of the same build quality of a $700 iPhone?

The author is comparing the nexus line....."Overall, it appears to show that LG’s build quality is considerably lower than that of the Samsung Nexus devices in the past".
I don't mention the iPhone in my post.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
The author is comparing the nexus line....."Overall, it appears to show that LG’s build quality is considerably lower than that of the Samsung Nexus devices in the past".
I don't mention the iPhone in my post.

The point I was trying to make is that for $300, reviewers are starting to get nit picky. $300 for quad-core 1.5GHz, 2GB RAM, 4.7" IPS panel at 320 ppi, and pure Google, no bloatware. The value of this is clearly very high. Starting to complain about little issues in that post is just showing that people are beginning to ask for too much for too little.

Things cost money. LTE costs money, incorporating microSD slots cost money, using higher quality manufacturing processes costs money, better build quality costs money. Consumers are starting to forget that.

This was a good read if you are interested:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/03/editorial-amazon-and-google-are-undermining-mobile-pricing/

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
It may not be a "$300" dollar device: http://bgr.com/2012/11/05/google-nexus-4-subsidy-rumor-319-dollars-per-unit/

Google may be subsidizing the price from LG. Which would explain why LG is selling it for so high in non-Play store areas.

Taken from a commenter: Matias Duarte did say, and i quote "the hardware and software for this are not final. That's not how we roll around here." Check the Verge's interview. We will certainly have to wait to see the final release unit.

I'll wait for a teardown of the released unit before judging internal build quality. Even if this is what it ends up to be, the internals aren't meant to be opened up by the user, so who gives a crap how they keep it together? As long as it keeps it together. If you have things falling out or loose inside, then that's a problem. Didn't some iPhone 5's have loose batteries inside?

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Boy, Google fumbled this release. These early reviews aren't even bad -- they're actually very good -- but there are enough blemishes to incite these sorts of debates even amongst us tech-savvy people. Can you imagine the average consumer giving the Nexus 4 a second glance after reading one of those reviews? Heck no. If the Nexus doesn't sell well amongst average consumers, Google has only themselves to blame.

Reviews post-release will have to deliver on the finished product to undo all this confusion. If it even can.

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/12m8zc/nexus_4_battery_shot_reveals_potential_quality/

Again if you are in 2012 and believe everything you read on the internet you need to re-think things a bit.

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007

http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/12m8zc/nexus_4_battery_shot_reveals_potential_quality/

Again if you are in 2012 and believe everything you read on the internet you need to re-think things a bit.

nba1341

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007

http://tinyurl.com/cyganb4

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I dont know really but i always assumed they kind give turns lol ? The last nexus phone was samsung,maybe next nexus tablet is LG or Motorola :p

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

They probably did'nt want to allow preorders because of the mess the N7 release turned out to be.

----------

Was it even confirmed that it'll be available to order at midnight? I definitely would if it was available in Ireland.

If Ireland has the Play Store then you'll get the cheap price if not you'll get ripped off.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
They probably did'nt want to allow preorders because of the mess the N7 release turned out to be.

----------

If Ireland has the Play Store then you'll get the cheap price if not you'll get ripped off.

They are not going to get ripped off mate, its just that google directly offers it at a lower price,i think "onthecouchagain" might give better info about it but it seems google is going to sell the nexus 4 with little profit or none; il just use a vpn to order my brother nexus 4 and ship it to my address in florida that forwards here :) either way whe allready have plans to go to the states on december for the holidays.

Diiiiips

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
Phone looks great in this vid the back is very understated and looks black unless the light catches it right and android looks supersmooth also the lockscreen widgets are demostrated in this vid.

YouTube: video

What are those other screens he is sliding over to whilst the phone is locked? Not sure I've seen them before.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Techradar stated that the battery life is better than SGS3's. All these reviews are pointing to different battery life. I'm seriously hoping that the reviewers complaining about bad battery life have device with the unfinished software.

My main concern with this phone is the camera. I currently have a Galaxy S2 and it's video recording seems so much better than the Nexus 4's. Check this video from Techradar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J9f_DAdlRq8

By the way, the whole review is pretty good so those interested in the device should probably take a look at it.

Edit: I hope this is also a due to the pre-release software. When I check the spes in sites like GSMArena, they state that the Nexus 4 can shoot 1080p @ 30fps but the video in Youtube seems much lower.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.