Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Dont buy a verizon iphone 5 cuz it wont work wit tmobile it will work only on 3g and 4g but not 4g lte buy the one from at&t cuz that one will work good and buy the 1428

Since T-Mobile has no LTE network at this point and wont for about another 8-12 months, it really doesn't matter too much.

Either one should get T-Mobiles HSPA+ 42 if you are in an area that has been refarmed for it.

Since I made my post a few hours ago, I found a white AT&T unlocked iPhone 5 on Craigslist and have already bought it.

I have been told by T-Mobile that only the iPhone 5 will get HSPA+ speeds. Every other gen will get 3g speeds, which are very good btw.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Since I made my post a few hours ago, I found a white AT&T unlocked iPhone 5 on Craigslist and have already bought it.

I have been told by T-Mobile that only the iPhone 5 will get HSPA+ speeds. Every other gen will get 3g speeds, which are very good btw.

iPhone 4S will get HSPA+ 14.4

iPhone 5 is capable of DC-HSPA (HSPA+ 42) on T-Mobile

All the other iPhone models are limited to regular 3G HSPA

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Saw on this site, http://airportal.de/, that 3G service is available about 5-6 miles from my house. I went over tonight to test it and it was really fast. 7.95 mbps down and 1.97 mbps up.

I may be buying a Verizon iPhone 5 tomorrow to use on T-Mobile. Am I correct in assuming that I will have HSPA+ speeds with it where 3G is available with the 4S?

Yes but you won't have LTE when T-Mobile gets it. Buy the AT&T version - off contract should come unlocked.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I can tell you guys with a recent level of certainty that all of South Florida is expected to be "modernized" by the end of the year. I keep tabs on this, and you could say I'm a big T-Mobile fan.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
Mr. Hill
Between the unlocked iPhone 5 version of Verizon and AT&T, which one would you recommend and why?
thanks in advance.
iPhone 4S will get HSPA+ 14.4

iPhone 5 is capable of DC-HSPA (HSPA+ 42) on T-Mobile

All the other iPhone models are limited to regular 3G HSPA

stayblunted

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
NYC coverage is growing daily. If your a tmobile user waiting to bite the bullet, I'd say take the risk. I'm loving my 30$ plan #

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Mr. Hill
Between the unlocked iPhone 5 version of Verizon and AT&T, which one would you recommend and why?
thanks in advance.

I would get the AT&T one because it has the LTE band that T-Mobile will use. Their LTE rollout will start Q1 next year and you'll still have access to their HSPA+ until LTE comes to your city.

With the Verizon one you will only get HSPA+ even after T-Mobile gets LTE.

LTE is a big deal so I would get the AT&T one.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
Looks like it just went live in Chicago (Lakeview area) today. Played with my girlfriend's iPhone and noticed that it was on 3G rather than Edge a day ago. Didn't test the speeds but I was actually able to search the web.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
T-Mobile announced that they are 95% done with the refarm

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/11/t-mo...ndy-will-delay-some-1900mhz-hspa-deployments/

Keep in mind though this means that 95% of the equipment has been installed though not that 95% has been deployed. It is almost ready to be deployed though. Looks like they are still on track to be done by the end of this year or early January.

Well T-Mobile did give themselves by the end of this year to finish the refarm, and it seems like they'll be able to meet that goal. I can't wait for their LTE network to finally be available!

Gaboi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
Dont buy a verizon iphone 5 cuz it wont work wit tmobile it will work only on 3g and 4g but not 4g lte buy the one from at&t cuz that one will work good and buy the 1428

Tmobile won't launch lte till 2013 and even then it will probably only be in a select few cities so its not a bad idea to buy the verizon version

----------

Nice I traded my att iPhone 5 for the Verizon one just because I will probably never have tmobiles lte in my area and the Verizon version supports a lot more bands and one day I might go to Verizon they have lte in my area

Gaboi

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
I would get the AT&T one because it has the LTE band that T-Mobile will use. Their LTE rollout will start Q1 next year and you'll still have access to their HSPA+ until LTE comes to your city.

With the Verizon one you will only get HSPA+ even after T-Mobile gets LTE.

LTE is a big deal so I would get the AT&T one.

I doubt they will begin Q1 and when it does begin it will probably only be in places like California and New York. I live in central Ga we never get anything lol. Tmobile has also been talking about hspa+ 84. Hspa+ 42 is already really fast in my area I average 20mbps and don't lose battery life like with lte

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
In Schaumburg, IL

Was popping in and out around Chicago-O'Hare Airport (testing?).

Went up to Schaumburg and that area has 3G - nice, especially for $6/month unlimited... ;)

Still EDGE in the near-west suburbs of Chicago....

I have a JB 3GS on iOS 5.

Last edited:

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
T-Mobile announced that they are 95% done with the refarm

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/11/t-mo...ndy-will-delay-some-1900mhz-hspa-deployments/

Keep in mind though this means that 95% of the equipment has been installed though not that 95% has been deployed. It is almost ready to be deployed though. Looks like they are still on track to be done by the end of this year or early January.

Do you have it active anywhere in Charlotte yet?

It is active in Raleigh by Crabtree Valley Mall if you know where that is. I tested it the other night and I stay 3G connected until I get about 4 miles from my house.

I would guess this would mean that I should have it very soon I would think.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Do you have it active anywhere in Charlotte yet?

It is active in Raleigh by Crabtree Valley Mall if you know where that is. I tested it the other night and I stay 3G connected until I get about 4 miles from my house.

I would guess this would mean that I should have it very soon I would think.

Haven't spotted it anywhere in Charlotte yet. Granted I haven't been in South Charlotte in over a month. I'm usually in the northern or eastern part of the metro and downtown sometimes. Still nothing yet.

Nice to see its in Raleigh though. I'm headed through there for Thanksgiving and will swing through the Crabtree area to check out the speeds.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Got my iPhone 5 activated with T-Mobile today. Here are the speeds that I was getting. I would think it would say 4G instead of 3G but I guess it doesn't matter.

tmoip5speeds.png

JBG87

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
sometimes i get 3g signal and then it goes away and i get edge...how do i get it to stick?

6italia0

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2011
New confirmed area: Clearfield, Utah Job corp. campus and surrounding areas within 1-4 miles outside campus

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 80

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
Any of the members here that live on the island of Oahu or Maui? i want to know if our T-Mobile towers got updated to push out 3G signals...i'm about 3 more months till the contract ends with Verizon. I want to go pre-paid with T-Mobile again(that's if they got 3G coverage for iPhones in Hawaii) or might go with the AT&T way of the pre-paid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.