Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
True, but a lot of people feel that apple pulled a fast one on them because of the unusually short life of the 3. We all know apple did this to avoid the retina iPad being cannibalized by the mini and also maybe to reset the launch date to October for all their products.

Imagine what they would think if they bought an Android phone!

McPaul

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
Vancouver
Glad you like yours. I certainly like mine (upgraded from the 1) but I don't think there's any tests out there currently that will show the huge difference between the 3 and 4 like you mentioned in your post, unless you had some probs with yours. Try again after Christmas and there will definitely be some solid ways to show off our units.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
It will be bad business for apple because they will condition buyers to shorter cycles which means that fewer ppl will buy the 5 in anticipation of the 6. It's more like apple took the opportunity of October to harmonize product releases. I may be wrong of course.

I think Apple, all to well, knows what it is doing. They could abuse their customer base and they will still come back, begging! Apple know that some would stays ith the three and other would die to have the latest and greatest. They know their customers all to well.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It will be bad business for apple because they will condition buyers to shorter cycles which means that fewer ppl will buy the 5 in anticipation of the 6. It's more like apple took the opportunity of October to harmonize product releases. I may be wrong of course.

But Samsung sold 30M S3 anyway, people knew that their phones would be old few months later. But they still bought a lot of them.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
But Samsung sold 30M S3 anyway, people knew that their phones would be old few months later. But they still bought a lot of them.

True, but do you have the stats on the number of Samsung users that switched to apple for this very reason? I have an iphone 4 running ios6 and it is perfectly useable, not as fast as the iphone 5 and non of the bells and whistles such as siri but I can live without that. They could have skipped the iphone 4, but they decided to include it not only because it can be done but also, probably, to keep their customers like myself happy!

I also heard that in many cases it is not possible to switch from one version of android to another. You need to buy a new phone. That's not good business in the long run.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
The top offer I've received for my iPad 3 is $250 & that's only if I include the leather case. Having to open my wallet to fork over another $380 to buy a 16 GB WiFi iPad 4 with AppleCare + is not possible at this time.

I've decided to donate my iPad 3 to a really great charitable group & return to using my laptop for now. I will look long & hard at all available tablet options before opening my wallet again.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Not inoperative but to replace what was their flagship iPad by one that is better after only 7 months is a bit short, especially considering that apple typically refreshes once a year if not longer. I can understand the anger but maybe you don't have a problem with shorter cycles?

I guess I'm accustomed to the windows pc and android worlds of seemingly constant updates. Once a year seems like a glacial rate of change.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Just played with a 4 at a store. I own the 3.

When I got the iPhone 5, the speed difference between it and my 4S was like night and day. Comparatively, the speed difference between the iPad 3 and 4 is late afternoon and dusk.

They're almost identical in performance increase...the 4s to the 5, the iPad 3 to the 4. The new A6x C/GPU in direct comparison to the A5x. A6x clock speed is increased in the iPad, vs. the A6 in the iPhone 5. You should notice the SAME speed increase on the tabs as you did the phones if you're using them in the same way...we certainly have. From launching app speed to browser performance, editing photo/video and associated exportation of those files, absolutely no lag switching between apps (we own a pair of iPad 3s, and now 3 iPad 4s...we use hem extensively in the field).

That said, developers have only been programming to date the existing iPads. The 2/3 are essentially identical speed wise, in some cases--the '2' is actually quicker without all the pixels. I'm very happy with the perceived performance increase in the 4--and I don't totally disagree this is what the '3' should've been.

the sad part, the screen issues are still the same, no improvement there whatsoever.

??? What? Where is your evidence to back this BS up? All 3 of my screens are immaculate! Perfect in every way...of the half dozen reviews I've read, not a single mention of sceen issues...hell, there doesn't seem to be any extensive threads here OR @ apple.com discussing screen issues. Not sure where you came up with this, but I'd love you to direct me to any links or forums discussing screen issues...not the fact that you've returned a half dozen of them, but real people with REAL screen challenges. This is a non-issue...and IMHO, most folk just needed to get use to an accurate IPS panel last time around...in comparison to most monitors folks are used to using @ home for < $200...the panel in the 3 iPad 4s we've got are incredible!!!

Candykwan

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
I think the wifi on the 4gen is pretty good... No video lags at all like I sometimes get on the. iMac or MacBook ^^

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada

Probably a little bit of both. I think this was planned well in advance to get as many current products on the lightning connector. All the new iDevices will use lightning. The connector is their own market, so why not give it as much business as possible?

Deasnutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2011
Not inoperative but to replace what was their flagship iPad by one that is better after only 7 months is a bit short, especially considering that apple typically refreshes once a year if not longer. I can understand the anger but maybe you don't have a problem with shorter cycles?

Apple doesn't give a rat's ass if a handleful of owners are bitter. They may even think its funny if someone's slamming their fist on their keyboard during the keynote, "wait, what?...no...no...NO!!!!"

These are relatively cheap gadgets accessible to the masses now, value means nothing.

bluebermuda

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Well the tests have shown the 4 to only be marginally faster. Not worth it to me.

Marginally better? Surely you jest. Sell your iPad 3 as soon as possible and move up the New iPad with Retina display 4 as it simply blows away the old last generation iPad3. You should have kept an eye on chip architecture progress, if you had been attentive you would have been an informed consumer and never purchased the old iPad 3 in the first place. It truly is a pity for those stuck with an iPad 3. :D

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
They should change everyones ipad 3 for the 4. Its a lack of respect to do that. My ipad 3 runs very smooth but sometimes I get the feeling that Apple makes them slow with the updates.. To make you buy the next model

You have a point...but...you certainly don't "need" to go out and buy the latest/greatest tablet every quarter. There are a ton of tablets on the market and a few of them are better than Apple's in terms of price point, quality, and usability.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Marginally better? Surely you jest. Sell your iPad 3 as soon as possible and move up the New iPad with Retina display 4 as it simply blows away the old last generation iPad3. You should have kept an eye on chip architecture progress, if you had been attentive you would have been an informed consumer and never purchased the old iPad 3 in the first place. It truly is a pity for those stuck with an iPad 3. :D

Inflammatory much? Also, NOBODY would agree that the 4 'blows away' the 3.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
They should change everyones ipad 3 for the 4. Its a lack of respect to do that. My ipad 3 runs very smooth but sometimes I get the feeling that Apple makes them slow with the updates.. To make you buy the next model

I got a 2012 car and I am just waiting them to launch the 2013 version so I can complain and ask them to change my 2012 for the 2013. :D

dendkmac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2009
Glad to pickup the iPad 4....bought a iPad 2 32 GB last year during Black Friday, still a decent device but the 4 is so much faster and the retina display speaks for itself, one thing not many have mentioned is the new gpu...no comparison with previous models.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Fix the shuddy workmanship Apple and you ll have my money. iPad screens are so hit and miss - still after all this time! Don't get me started!

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
How are intensive apps like iPhoto and Snapseed? iBooks with audio? Those are the apps I'm most interested in.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
The ipad 4 might blow away the ipad 3 in BENCHMARKS, but no review has shown it to blow away the ipad 3 in everyday tasks...

Look on Youtube...I watched an ipad 3 and 4 comparison. The ipad 4 isnt worth an upgrade to for me.

"Apps load twice as fast"-BULL

Im not butthurt over it either (I own an Ipad 3). I just think it insulting to read people come on here and claim something different that I have seen. Ill bet games run better on the Ipad 4...But MOST everything else might as well be a tie. (1-2seconds faster is laughable).

EDIT: I also see the A6X runs at 1.4Ghz. Doesnt the A5X run at 1.0Ghz? No wonder stuff opens 1 second faster.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.