Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
OK, somewhat disgruntled 3 owner here. The 3 is perfectly fine for most everything I need, except a little slow with iMovie. But the whole upgrade-to-the 4 thing, I don't fully understand.

Doing some math, and assessing some options (assuming 64gb LTE)

I could sell my 3 on eBay for $600
I could then buy a new 4 for $866

I'm out $266 for an iPad that is .4 seconds fast pulling up Mail.

OR....I could NOT do that, add a few bucks, keep the 3 and buy a new 16gb Mini to play around with. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Two iPads, and cool little mini.

Peter-

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
Just keep your iPad 3, I don't think it's worth it to upgrade to the iPad 4 unless you are willing to spend the money.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Just keep your iPad 3, I don't think it's worth it to upgrade to the iPad 4 unless you are willing to spend the money.

I agree with this. Unless you really need that processor for intensive apps, it ain't worth it.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
I agree with this. Unless you really need that processor for intensive apps, it ain't worth it.

I've done the same analysis - its just not worth it for saving a half second when starting up Angry Birds. However, I'm kind of bummed that I can no longer claim that I own the "worlds best tablet" but thats kind of a shallow way to think anyway.

I'm "Android curious" so I'll use that money instead for a Nexus 7 and will upgrade to iPad 5 next year.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
However, I'm kind of bummed that I can no longer claim that I own the "worlds best tablet"

Haha, me too! It's taking every bit of will power I have :)

But after buying Mini a few days ago, I sooo see a need here for having TWO iPads, much more important than having one "best" iPad for me.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
the question to ask yourself is will you upgrade to an ipad 5? If the answer is yes, then keep the 3. If the answer is no...then get the 4 b.c it will easily last a few years.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Haha, me too! It's taking every bit of will power I have :)

But after buying Mini a few days ago, I sooo see a need here for having TWO iPads, much more important than having one "best" iPad for me.

I'm confused. Your title says the ipad 4 upgrade "was" worth it, implying you made the upgrade? Then you posed the scenario; upgrade to a 4 or keep the 3 and buy a mini? Then you say you already bought a mini?

I'm also perplexed at the number of similar posts. It's as if it's somehow mandated that when a new Apple product comes out, everyone must take some kind of action, be it upgrade, sell one to get the other, or buy 2 of everything.

People, it's ok to skip an Apple product iteration. Really, it is!

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
i would just wait till the spring time and get the new iPad when it comes out in late march early april time and just sell your old one a couple of week before the press conference.

6 months is not long really to be honest for a new iPad which would be a lot better then the one you have already.

Well that my 2 cent worth!!!!

Just a suggestion of coarse

AlanKA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
I'm confused. Your title says the ipad 4 upgrade "was" worth it, implying you made the upgrade?

Sorry, I was a bit confusing with my title. What I was referring to is that most folks that have upgraded seems to laud the 4, and believe that is was worth it.

I am holding out of the 5 because I really am hoping for a larger table that is a bit LIGHTER. I've had multiples of every iPad to date, but the 4 is likely the only one I will skip.

I will say that I'm loving the Mini, but it in NO WAY replaces my need for a larger iPad. So, I pretty happy having two sizes of iPads, and will probably always have one of each!

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
most folks that have upgraded seems to laud the 4, and believe that is was worth it.

I think we all justify our decisions to buy or not to buy, then we post our decision and rationale on this forum in the hope that others will validate our decision.

Buy the latest or don't buy the latest, there will always be a newer, better, faster model available in a year or less - which means that no matter WHEN you buy, your device will be 'the best' for no more than a year.

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I tested out the 3 next to a 4 and it is a bit speedier but I don't think it would be enough for me to justify buying it over the 3. Unless you are an avid gamer who plays the graphics intensive games, I doubt the 4 will offer anything more over the 3. But hey... its your coin so buy what makes you happy. You are out a loss but you may be in the same situation if Apple decides to release a new iPad based on the mini design in the spring... unlikely but who knows.

oldschool006

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
If you invite comment on a public forum, i feel well within convention to discuss what your motivation might be.

AlanKA

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
If you invite comment on a public forum, i feel well within convention to discuss what your motivation might be.

Agree.

But the comment was a bit silly, since no person on this forum "needs" even one Ipad. This isn't about "need", it's about enjoyment. Personally, I'm enjoying the heck out of all iPods, iPads, and and iPhone. I don't "need" a single one of them.

oldschool006

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
That's just rhetorical gymnastics. That first iPad filled a "need", as does most consumer goods we buy. The question is at what point does it lose that value.

Last edited:

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
OK, somewhat disgruntled 3 owner here. The 3 is perfectly fine for most everything I need, except a little slow with iMovie. But the whole upgrade-to-the 4 thing, I don't fully understand.

Doing some math, and assessing some options (assuming 64gb LTE)

I could sell my 3 on eBay for $600
I could then buy a new 4 for $866

I'm out $266 for an iPad that is .4 seconds fast pulling up Mail.

OR....I could NOT do that, add a few bucks, keep the 3 and buy a new 16gb Mini to play around with. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Two iPads, and cool little mini.

It may seem like a small upgrade, but for me since I travel a ton, I like the convinience of taking 1 cable with me, so the lightning connector to charge my iphone and ipad is pretty big. Now I did get a iPad Mini on order too, but decided to replace my iPad 3 with the 4 for the lightning connector and resale value later when 5 comes out. the 3 is going to drop much more in price. I gave my wife my 3, but was able to sell off her 2 with unlimited ATT plan for just about the price of a new 64 LTE 4.....so it was a little easier decision for me...As for the Mini, after playing around with it, we will see if that takes over full time for the 4...

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011

Exactly. It's a different product. I'm getting more utility out of the mini because of its size it's going more places.

Only issue now is people gawking in meetings and such wanting to look and talk about it.

If Apple could just make it look like a steno notepad things could get back to normal.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Pre ordered the LTE mini to replace my iPad 2, then broke down and bought the 4. The 4 is a nice upgrade over the 2. I read quite a bit on the iPad (iBooks and Kindle) and retina is a nice improvement. The mini is still on order. At the moment I'm telling myself I'm only going to keep one, but who knows I may 'convince' myself I need (want) both.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I was going to just keep my iPad 3 and not upgrade but my camera on the back is broken from when it fell. I really liked having the camera so I'll get the iPad 4.

I bet Apple will not sell out of the iPad 4 on launch day. The Mini is the popular one.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I've done the same analysis - its just not worth it for saving a half second when starting up Angry Birds. However, I'm kind of bummed that I can no longer claim that I own the "worlds best tablet" but thats kind of a shallow way to think anyway.

I'm "Android curious" so I'll use that money instead for a Nexus 7 and will upgrade to iPad 5 next year.

I can at least claim I have the worlds best Mini tablet :p

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
It all depends on when iPad 5 will be released.

If its 6-7 months. That's fine to not upgrade.
But if Apple makes u wait till next Fall 2013. U may start getting annoyed why there's no ipad 5 by August of next year.

I personally think Apple will not release iPhone 5S/6 until mid October 2013.

And Apple will probably release iPad 5 sometime in early summer (in my opinion) cause iPad 9.7 is mature product that doesn't need any "wow" announcements anymore.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011

This.
iPad 5 will likely be slimmer, lighter. Then iPad Mini will be less attractive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.