Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I'm in a bit of a rush so this post won't be as detailed as I'd like it to be but

1. Do a simple google search: coupon crucial.com or something like that. I found a site (can't remember the name right now) that had a link to crucial's website and I got a few bucks off the ram; I think maybe $5.

2. Crucial is shipping the ram for free and there's no sale tax (where I live) so buying it from crucial's website was a really good choice.

3. Whatever ram you use, test it using the Apple Hardware Test http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

So thanks again to Yebubbleman for some solid advice!

Last edited:

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    642.1 KB · Views: 265
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    632.7 KB · Views: 190

kdoug

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2010
Iowa City, IA USA
Maybe they are binned differently?

Depending how you look at it, Crucial knows that most Mac owners will pay more for memory guaranteed to work with a Mac. Mac people generally pay more for hardware and software because they're used to it, it's always been that way.
PC3-12800 1600HZ memory is all the same with the exception of latency and voltage.
Tech savvy people generally know the difference, the average consumer doesn't.

lithium13

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
I asked crucial with the difference was between the two...they really couldn't give me a straight answer. See attached images.

What I took away from our conversation is that they are the same thing...but they want you to buy the "mac" version because it is "guaranteed".

Attachments

• crucial1.png
    crucial1.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 222
  • crucial2.png
    crucial2.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 191

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
in case it's gone unnoticed, we're talking only a few dollars difference. the ram from the amazon site, for example? that's just for 8 gigs; multiply that by two and it's around $72. using the coupon i mentioned in an earlier post, i paid $78. the ram kdoug refers to costs $76.

i think we can all agree that we're all getting a bargain compared to what we would pay if we paid Apple! aren't they charging $300?!?!?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.