Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I don't NEED an in cable microphone as my car has a bluetooth kit, I'm just looking for some cheap and decent... say less than $50 headphones for my iPhone I just bought. So what is everyone using? Or are you all still glowing in the white Apple earbuds.

MacMaster022

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Check out monoprice and look for their over the ear dj headphones. $23 and some would consider them audiophile quality. Ends up being $30 shipped so great deal and less than you are wanting to spend

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I have 400$ headphones (monster turbine pro copper, if you want to research them) and I use the earpods. They are simply unbeatable for comfort/isolation balance, I never liked in ears because they never felt comfortable but I could never hear anything with buds. Earpods are the perfect balance, and they sound pretty damn good too.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I'd have guessed this would happen, I should be more specific, I listen to most of my music at home through my Onkyo receiver rather than through the cheap and nasty DACs in an iPhone, but am looking for something that's easy enough to wear when I'm at the gym.

I could go out and buy some Senns or Klipsch or B&W, or whatever I might actually wait a bit longer until I get paid next, but at the moment I was just looking for some cheap and convenient earbuds.

I guess I'll shelve this dicussion and just stop by at my local hifi retailer until I can splash out on something more than convenience. as I don't have earbuds at the moment and it's always the compromise to wear over the head style headphones when you're at the gym.

Last edited:

jfclazzi

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
I'm got a pair of Sony mdr7506

I'm hearing notes and instruments in songs I never noticed before.

Psycho Mantis

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
California
Vmoda Remix

Been using Vmoda since the original iPhone when they were the first to come out with a headset for the recessed headphone jack. 2 years now and still functions like new, much more durable than their Vibe Duos.

orestes1984

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Australia
I just picked up a pair of Sennheiser MX365s decent enough sound quality to hear the imperfections in my iPhone radio stations at 192kb/s MP3s, ridiculously powerful enough with 110db of output full range from 20khz to 20000khz. Very cheap at $35. I will give some feedback with some decent quality encodings as below:

The things I'm noticing thus far is that they definitely do introduce some static noise of their own when you adjust the volume. This is not ideal in terms of speaker quality, but it's not too bad when music is actually playing. I guess the other thing is as with all Senns they are a little too cold and clinical which is nothing not to be expected from Germans and the industry which Senns are targeted towards. There is very little colouring, except for the casing of the buds themselves, but not in the actual audio, very flat. Not warm, not bright, a little clinical... enough clarity though to hear imperfections.

I like my speakers to be a little warm, these are definitely cold, they do however allow you to hear the full range of sound. Very clear mids and highs with enough bass but not enough to add any real colour. They are actually pretty airy for what they are which is nice, but more akin to a monitor sound than earphones most people would put up with for every day listening.

Not everyones taste by any means at all, but for the price and if you want to hear your music pretty close to how it was encoded then they are decent, of course when you factor in the price. You would listen to other cheap headphones that would mask the imperfections of music one way or another, these really don't which would proclaim some to say they're terrible earphones, but... I guess I've had the chance to listen to a range of pretty decent speakers, they're not terrible as such, just a little typical of Senns for a rather cold sound.

You will get annoyed at your music listening to these earphones but that will be with your poor quality encodings or the poor quality recording, not the earphones themselves. You will hear the artifacts in poorly encoded MP3s, you will here the compression in the recording, you will hear the pops and crackles on non-digitally recorded auidio definitely not for everyone but yeah... they're decent enough.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.