Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diagnostics247

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
No, but instead using a phone OS and up-sized apps, like Android, it runs a tablet OS and down-sized iPad apps.

Considering most apps have been developed for the iPad 2 and the Mini shares the same resolution, not a whole lot of change happening unless you are using a retina optimized app.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
This is just a dumb move: they compromised way, way to much and are offering a substandard product that makes very little sense given the iDevice line up they have where ALL of it should be Retina by now.

Please don't make excuses for them, you don't have to do that. Trust me. They can do much better than this my friend.

So are you claiming that Apple could have produced a retina iPad mini right now AND priced it at $329? If they could do it, why do you think they haven't ?

And sorry, but I don't know you from Adam, so why should I trust you?

hugesaggyboobs

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2012
So are you claiming that Apple could have produced a retina iPad mini right now AND priced it at $329? If they could do it, why do you think they haven't ? Considering most apps have been developed for the iPad 2 and the Mini shares the same resolution, not a whole lot of change happening unless you are using a retina...

Man... You are so... You don't know what you're talking about.

I don't mean to be rude.

Think about it. What's the difference? The difference is the Mini has hit areas (icons) virtually the same size as the iPhone. However, the screen is much larger, the device held farther away. The iPad 2 has hit areas 20% LARGER than the iPhone. On oversimplistic math the Mini should have hit areas roughly 10% larger than the iPhone to account for the much larger screen and increased distance held away.

The whole device is odd and just wrong in its implementation. Steve Jobs had a famous quote: "We're as proud as the things we didn't do as the things we did do." I'm certain the Mini would have never happened with Jobs in charge.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Think about it. What's the difference? The difference is the Mini has hit areas (icons) virtually the same size as the iPhone. However, the screen is much larger, the device held farther away. The iPad 2 has hit areas 20% LARGER than the iPhone. On oversimplistic math the Mini should have hit areas roughly 10% larger than the iPhone to account for the much larger screen and increased distance held away.

The whole device is odd and just wrong in its implementation. Steve Jobs had a famous quote: "We're as proud as the things we didn't do as the things we did do." I'm certain the Mini would have never happened with Jobs in charge.

Ah, sorry. I saw you saying you hated the mini screen, and assumed you were one of the people complaining about the mini not having a retina screen.

Not sure if I agree with your theory that hit areas should correspond to device size, though. That's one I've never heard before. I'd need to think about it.

And I think Steve would have created the mini if he were still alive, but details of the implementation might have been different.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I think retina ipad mini is not priced these year at 329-350 because it will not meet with the profit apple wish, i consider that fair enough cause is nothing new.

Dont like the screen but love the other aspects just wait for the next update i guess, pretty sure they will release a retina mini if the current model sells like they want.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I hope my high never goes away. I usually regret my purchases soon after I buy them. I did for my iPad 2 and returned it the next day.

My iPad mini however, I use it more than my actual computer.

When it come to cruising the Internet and handling email, my iPad replaced my laptop. But the iPad is far from ever replacing my computers. Still need a laptop and two desktops to make a living.

I am just hoping for MS Office for iOS!

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
I wrote off the mini initially but after having played around with it for a while yesterday I was impressed, my biggest gripe with my iPad 3 is it's heavy and awkward when reading, so I bought a kindle.

The iPad mini just seems more the right size for that without being too small, also it's a LOT lighter which is welcome, but the text isn't as smooth, I think I'll hold off for the retina mini, but if you're coming from an iPad 1/2 the mini is a lot more portable, and the screen size is enough for me needs, web/email/tv shows/games.

Wonder if they'll bring out a retina version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.