Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raghugs

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
India
Hello Everybody

I am planning to buy Apple iPod Touch 5th Generation after selling my HTC One X.

As everybody else, i find the price to be on the upper side.
I heard that Apple iPad Mini is a big competitor to Apple iPod Touch in terms of value proposition.

Would Apple release an 8GB or 16GB iPod Touch 5th Generation and reduce it's price drastically after Apple iPad Mini's release to justify Apple iPod Touch's existence ?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hello Everybody

I am planning to buy Apple iPod Touch 5th Generation after selling my HTC One X.

I heard that Apple iPad Mini is a big competitor to Apple iPod Touch in terms of value proposition.

Would Apple release an 8GB or 16GB iPod Touch 5th Generation and reduce it's price drastically after Apple iPad Mini's release to justify Apple iPod Touch's existence ?

No.

Next update cycle (next October), they will update the low end A4 (16 GB) to the current A5 design but I expect the price to remain the same ($199) or to go up a little.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010

You should stop listening to clueless people. The Touch is something you can hold in one hand, put in a pants pocket, and is cheaper for the storage you get.

No. The two devices don't compete with each other, so your entire premise is flawed.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
You should stop listening to clueless people. The Touch is something you can hold in one hand, put in a pants pocket, and is cheaper for the storage you get.

Ipad mini can be holded in one hand, sir. Thats why they made the bezel so thin so you can palm it and yes it effects people who originally wanted to get ipod touch 5 because at $30 more, you can get double size screen. And yes, some people do not use the whole 32G, thats why they are asking for 16G.

No. The two devices don't compete with each other, so your entire premise is flawed.

They do compete with each other. The only thing Ipod touch has over Ipad mini is the retina display. Camera front and back are equal and i believe Ipad mini has ALS.

----------

Hello Everybody

They might release Ipod touch 5 16G at $249 next year but for now you will have to look for Gen 4 16G at very reasonable price $199. In my opinion, get the 4th gen, its a bargain. Touch 5 still has flaws in the gaming ratio and its lacks ALS.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
They do compete with each other. The only thing Ipod touch has over Ipad mini is the retina display. Camera front and back are equal and i believe Ipad mini has ALS.

Wow, you managed to quote yet completely ignore the reasons I gave why they don't compete with each other and give some irrelevant feature comparisons. To the OP: This is the kind of guy I suggested you stop listening to.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Wow, you managed to quote yet completely ignore the reasons I gave why they don't compete with each other and give some irrelevant feature comparisons. To the OP: This is the kind of guy I suggested you stop listening to.

Maybe it is because your reason make no sense in anyway, hence, some people can put ipad mini in their coat or suit because it is very light. The fact the Ipod touch 5 is overpriced and you probably have your hand on one already.

wooddorf

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2009
Maybe it is because your reason make no sense in anyway, hence, some people can put ipad mini in their coat or suit because it is very light. The fact the Ipod touch 5 is overpriced and you probably have your hand on one already.

Most people that listen to music like to have it in their pocket or hand, not coat pocket and suit.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
They just updated, and it's a mature product. I find this extremely unlikely. They haven't done any unexpected drastic price reductions since the first iphone. That was five years ago. My point is that even if they did something like this, no one could predict it. The ipods aren't a big focus anymore. Their functions have been consolidated to a degree with smartphones, and they're basically tapped out on major growth potential.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
If u are deciding between the iPod touch 5th gen & the iPad mini, here's something to consider. Saw in the forums a while back.

The iTouch is cheaper for twice the storage, a much better screen, and free EarPods. Instead of having shrunk-looking iPad 2 apps, it will have brand new full-size iPhone 5 apps. The processors are the same, so there isn't much difference in speed, but it seems to me that a bigger screen with the same processor would result in slower performance, am I right? The cameras are pretty much identical. The iPod is of course more portable. I can't afford a data plan, so I'm not interested in the cell service offered by the mini. I'm planning to get an iPod touch 5g later in November, and the iPad mini has done nothing to change my plans.

raghugs

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
India
Hello Everybody

Thanks for enlightening me on this topic.
As many of you have suggested, Apple may not introduce price cuts in middle of the product life cycle.

Our investments in gadgets are in safer hands for one year only with Apple.
Every other products losses it's value as soon as you buy it.

I have just ordered Apple iPod Touch 5th Generation (White).
I was an Apple iPod Touch user two years back and was using Android Mobile phones meanwhile and despite Google offering a high end product in dirt cheap price.

I wanted to buy a premium product, not a high-end white box like item.
I hope, i have made the right decision.

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
If u are deciding between the iPod touch 5th gen & the iPad mini, here's something to consider. Saw in the forums a while back.

Great argument, and as an owner of both a mini and touch 5g, I totally agree. Which thread did you see that in?

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I have both also. My opinion for what it is worth is that the Touch offers more storage, pocketability, and a better screen for less money. The Touch likely will not be updated next year or perhaps not ever, while the Mini is likely to get a display update next year. The only price cut to expect is a Black Friday sale where Apple gives free overnight or 2nd day shipping or the retail stores bundle something free with purchase.
Buy the touch now and wait for the improved mini.

Last edited:

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Hello Everybody

Thanks for enlightening me on this topic.
As many of you have suggested, Apple may not introduce price cuts in middle of the product life cycle.

Our investments in gadgets are in safer hands for one year only with Apple.
Every other products losses it's value as soon as you buy it.

I have just ordered Apple iPod Touch 5th Generation (White).
I was an Apple iPod Touch user two years back and was using Android Mobile phones meanwhile and despite Google offering a high end product in dirt cheap price.

I wanted to buy a premium product, not a high-end white box like item.
I hope, i have made the right decision.

I think you've made an excellent choice and will enjoy every minute of your new Touch 5G.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Great argument, and as an owner of both a mini and touch 5g, I totally agree. Which thread did you see that in?

Not sure, can't remember. Everytime I see good comments like this one, I copy & paste it into the Notes app on my iPhone, for later use such as on this occasion.

----------

I think you've made an excellent choice and will enjoy every minute of your new Touch 5G.

I agree. It's a fantastic device, & for $400 of course it should be one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.