Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Hey,

I'm going to ny next week and I would love to buy the new Mac Mini, but I want to get the 2.6 quad-core with ssd and from what I've understand they only stock base-models in store... So my question is if it's possible to order the upgraded mini and pick it up at the store or to get it sent to the hotel. It sure would be a lot easier if I had somebody that lived in ny but that's not the case. Ps. I've got an american credit card.

Thanks
/A303

Last edited:

stickyfingers85

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I believe Apple will only ship to the same country that your Credit Card is registered in.

So if you have an American CC, with an American Address, you should be able to order it for delivery to the hotel, provided you've checked with the hotel and you are happy for them to sign for it

Edit: You would also have to order from the US Apple store online, not one in Europe

macman312

macrumors 6502
I wouldn't trust delivery of a thousand dollar computer to a hotel; why should you trust them?. Pick it up at the Apple store.

You can't do custom order pickup but just order it online and ship it to your hotel

----------

Hey,

I'm going to ny next week and I would love to buy the new Mac Mini, but I want to get the 2.6 quad-core with ssd and from what I've understand they only stock base-models in store... So my question is if it's possible to order the upgraded mini and pick it up at the store or to get it sent to the hotel. It sure would be a lot easier if I had somebody that lived in ny but that's not the case. Ps. I've got an american credit card.

Thanks
/A303

Yes it is but do it today/soon so that it will arrive in time

adam303

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks for the answers, unfortunately I won't be able to order the 2.6 ghz because the delivery date is after I went home. Is 2.3 ghz quad-core enough for Logic pro and illustrator/photoshop? I'm going to upgrade ram to 16 gb and switch the 5400 drive for an ssd.

macman312

macrumors 6502
Thanks for the answers, unfortunately I won't be able to order the 2.6 ghz because the delivery date is after I went home. Is 2.3 ghz quad-core enough for Logic pro and illustrator/photoshop? I'm going to upgrade ram to 16 gb and switch the 5400 drive for an ssd.

Just buy the 2.6ghz in your home country. Trust me I have looked at buying computers and stuff in the US as they SEEM much cheaper compared to where I live (Australia) but once you add ny tax (10%) it really isn't that much cheaper.... as you might have thought.

CASLondon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
London
Just buy the 2.6ghz in your home country. Trust me I have looked at buying computers and stuff in the US as they SEEM much cheaper compared to where I live (Australia) but once you add ny tax (10%) it really isn't that much cheaper.... as you might have thought.

This is largely true, except for the big ticket/small size items. I buy my MBP 17"s in the US when I'm home, ordered sales tax-free, and bring them back to London where the savings is on the order of hundreds of pounds, and worth it.

I doubt as worth it for a mini

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
NY Sales tax is 8.75 percent not 10 percent. Sales tax or VAT in London is 20 percent. At a minimum you will save 11.25 percent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.