Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 24, 2007
Interesting issue has cropped up. I think it happened after a power failure....

One of my USB external Samsung 2TB drives (in a 2 bay Rosewill USB case) can no longer be seen from the MAC (a Intel Mini running 10.8.2) it's connected to.

However....other MACs on my internal network can see the drive, and it appears to be operating normally (other than not being seen on the MAC it's connected to). Other MACs (various OSes) can see the drive, write to it, read from it, copy files to it, delete files on it, etc. etc.

On the MAC it's connected to....Disk Utility can see the drive. It can verify the drive ('the volume xxxx appears to be OK'). However, it can't repair the drive...DU says it 'can't unmount the drive'. And...the 'verify disk permissions' and 'repair disk permissions' options are 'greyed' out.

Any ideas on what to do?

It is backed up....but would love to have it completely operational (of course).

Thanks in advance!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Use another Mac to completely repartition and format the drive. Then use the other Mac to move some data to the drive...read it...then delete it. Make sure the other Mac had no problems. Then it back to your Mac and see what happens.

Also borrow a USB drive from another Mac and hook it to the suspect port on your Mac.

Is the problem following your drive....or your Mac's port?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.