Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Facebook in particular...commenting on anything, even with safari, the comment bar is covered by the keyboard.

securedownload1.png

securedownload.png

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Facebook in particular...commenting on anything, even with safari, the comment bar is covered by the keyboard.

My apps seem to work fine. I doubt developers will update their apps that quickly just for the mini.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Well (taking Facebook for example), they didn't know the mini existed until 1.5 weeks ago, and didn't even have the opportunity to touch one until Friday (assuming they ordered early), so it's going to be a bit.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
That's odd...I have to keep lowering the keyboard to see what I am typing. Even if I split it, it's under the keyboard. Grrr!!!!

Am I the only one this is happening to??

Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
No issues at all with any app on my mini, nor would I expect any problems - the resolution is identical to the ipad 2

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010

As far asI can tell it's a split keyboard issue. If you pull the keyboard back together it fixes it and bumps up the text. It's not an app issue, it's an iOS 6 issue with the split keyboard-there are a number of bugs related to it and it happens in all sorts of apps.

jimmysuggs

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Wait, why would they need to update the apps?

The mini is basically exactly the same as the ipad 2, but smaller. All ipad apps should run on the mini exactly the same way they do on the ipad 2. There's a bit less real estate but the dimensions on the mini are totally proportional to the ipad 2. That's why they went with 7.9 inches, so developers wouldn't HAVE to upgrade their apps to fit a whole new ratio.

This being the case, I think the answer to the question of when they're going to update apps for the mini- is never.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Wait, why would they need to update the apps?

The mini is basically exactly the same as the ipad 2, but smaller. All ipad apps should run on the mini exactly the same way they do on the ipad 2. There's a bit less real estate but the dimensions on the mini are totally proportional to the ipad 2. That's why they went with 7.9 inches, so developers wouldn't HAVE to upgrade their apps to fit a whole new ratio.

This being the case, I think the answer to the question of when they're going to update apps for the mini- is never.

I never noticed it on my iPad 3 running iOS5. this bug where the split keyboard covers the bottom of posts/text DEFINITELY exists. I have noticed it many times, but putting the keyboard back together fixes it for me, and sometimes when I split it again it's alright. Don't know if it's Mini-specific but it seems to be an iOS 6 bug.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Regardless which keyboard I use or close the split, it does not solve the issue...lookit.

securedownload1.png

securedownload.png

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
It seems no one noticed you're using Safari for Facebook. Have you tried the app?

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Nice bike, man!

Thanks, but that one is not mine

It seems no one noticed you're using Safari for Facebook. Have you tried the app?

Same thing happens in the app...however, the split close of keyboard see,s to work there.

Use the Facebook app.

The web seems better to use than the app.

Have you tried the Facebook app? Your title is completely misleading.

Dunno why...I said apps...safari is an app. Twitter and flipboard do the same thing.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
That's odd...I have to keep lowering the keyboard to see what I am typing. Even if I split it, it's under the keyboard. Grrr!!!!

Am I the only one this is happening to??

Lack of screen real estate is why my mini is already on the way back to apple.

Nuttydev

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Bristol, England.
Well the Facebook app was updated last night. Don't really understand why you're using Sarari as the app is great and chat works, but hey each to their own.

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
I was under the impression that since the iPad Mini has the same resolution as the iPad (1) and iPad 2, all apps for these iPads will work perfectly on the iPad Mini. Why would a developer need to update said apps for the Mini?

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
I was under the impression that since the iPad Mini has the same resolution as the iPad (1) and iPad 2, all apps for these iPads will work perfectly on the iPad Mini. Why would a developer need to update said apps for the Mini?

Well they wouldn't if this is in fact a iOS problem.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Well the Facebook app was updated last night. Don't really understand why you're using Sarari as the app is great and chat works, but hey each to their own.

The facebook update is awesome! It's their best release yet, very fast. However, it pales in comparison to the mobile web version. In the app I get sponsored posts and I can't find the sort by recent or top stories - I'm sure I'll find it. Not that it worked well in the previous version, even most recent omitted stories that appeared in the browser and I still received sponsored posts. The app is force-fed and sucks. No offense to those who love it.

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
The facebook update is awesome! It's their best release yet, very fast. However, it pales in comparison to the mobile web version. In the app I get sponsored posts and I can't find the sort by recent or top stories - I'm sure I'll find it. Not that it worked well in the previous version, even most recent omitted stories that appeared in the browser and I still received sponsored posts. The app is force-fed and sucks. No offense to those who love it.

Define awesome....what did they fix, add or improve?

----------

----------

You know you can slide the split keyboard up and down the screen. Right? :rolleyes:

That solves my problem with Safari...thanks!

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
In the app I get sponsored posts and I can't find the sort by recent or top stories - I'm sure I'll find it.

In the slide out menu at the left side of the app, see the icon next to "News Feed". Tap on it :)

I think in the iPad version you can even just tap on the top right corner icon of the main screen (don't have the iPad with me so I can't check, but they changed it for the iPhone version recently)

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Lack of screen real estate is why my mini is already on the way back to apple.

The Mini has exactly the same amount of real estate as any other iPad, and more than the vast majority of other tablets. Everything is just physically 20% smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.