Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
I'm surprised there are so many problems with the Safari update. I haven't had any issues and Safari is even faster, snappier than before - and I have Verizon's "high speed" DSL at 3 mbps. However, I did do a hard reset after each update (Safari, iPhoto and Aperture). Perhaps that made a difference??

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
keeps crashing when I open a link in a new tab/window...Happens often enough that I have lost forms with filled in data, in-progress bank transactions..Very, very unreliable!! I am surprised this is not getting that much of limelight!

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
keeps crashing when I open a link in a new tab/window...Happens often enough that I have lost forms with filled in data, in-progress bank transactions..Very, very unreliable!! I am surprised this is not getting that much of limelight!

OMG i though i was alone in that one, if i have 2 tabs open and open another one it will crash or sometimes if i click a link/new window :( when i open it again safari resumes to the old tabs most of the time (not the last ones i open) and works fine again.

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
The guy that was responsible for the division that creates and QAs that software was fired last week. Make no mistake, no matter what all the blogs say, it was as much about this as his being an asswipe or the Maps issue. A number of folks on various sites said from the start that it felt like Forstall was getting carried away with the cute little touches and it seems they were correct. Too much time on unneeded cute and not enough in debugging.

Sad... and scary! It sounds so much like Microsoft. I expect more from Apple considering their own propaganda. I'd rather wait some time after these new Macs show up to read people's problems/impressions on them before I empty my pockets. How went that saying?... "Coolness" is human, but reliability is divine!

Thanks for sharing!

ooans

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011

I have the exact same problem. Super annoying!

ladymacintosh

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
Seattle
Sad... and scary! It sounds so much like Microsoft. I expect more from Apple considering their own propaganda. I'd rather wait some time after these new Macs show up to read people's problems/impressions on them before I empty my pockets. How went that saying?... "Coolness" is human, but reliability is divine!

Thanks for sharing!

Early adopters will always be the ones to have the most issues. I always wait a bit and read the results after a release- software or hardware, and then when it seems most of the stuff is worked out, usually in a couple months, I take the plunge.

As far as Apple's product quality, I would say they are still the best even if they appear to be going through a rough patch since Steve's departure. I do believe that the recent restructuring will make a very positive difference and bring back what we love about Apple. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about buying an Apple product. Even if you don't like your experience and decide to go back, the resale value alone is worth trying it out. Try reselling a Windows machine for half of what you bought it for a few months out of the box, and you will see what I mean.

Good luck to you!

Macneck

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Early adopters will always be the ones to have the most issues. I always wait a bit and read the results after a release- software or hardware, and then when it seems most of the stuff is worked out, usually in a couple months, I take the plunge.

As far as Apple's product quality, I would say they are still the best even if they appear to be going through a rough patch since Steve's departure. I do believe that the recent restructuring will make a very positive difference and bring back what we love about Apple. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about buying an Apple product. Even if you don't like your experience and decide to go back, the resale value alone is worth trying it out. Try reselling a Windows machine for half of what you bought it for a few months out of the box, and you will see what I mean.

Good luck to you!

Thank you for your support. You just hit the nail on the head. I guess it's what i wanted to hear. I will sit back and relax a little... Easier said than done!:rolleyes: Time... and users will tell. To be honest, I can't wait to have my first mac and too bad things should go with Apple for me not to give it a try. I hope there will be no turning back for me, but that depends on them.

ste0x

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2007
Did you try deleting Safari preferences, clearing cache and restarting? I definitely do NOT have such a problem.

Yeah I totally purged everything related to Safari. It feels like it's by design rather than a bug, extremely weird it's only happening for some people.

ersatzplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
have cut down the frequency of the crashes by turning off and uninstalling all extensions. It has cut down the crashes quite a bit for me. Before doing that it would crash with simple things like clicking on a link or just changing pages.

ersatzplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
have cut down the frequency of the crashes by turning off and uninstalling all extensions. It has cut down the crashes quite a bit for me. Before doing that it would crash with simple things like clicking on a link or just changing pages.

ersatzplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
I have cut down the frequency of the crashes by turning off and uninstalling all extensions. It has cut down the crashes quite a bit for me. Before doing that it would crash with simple things like clicking on a link or just changing pages.

dzhiurgis

macrumors member
May 29, 2007
Downloaded fine from the app store last night. Fixed my issue loading .gifs on my rMBP, which was really annoying.

So far I'm seeing the same results, which is a relief.

I have same better issues. The annoying flickering GIFs look fixed. However, I have a new issue, of some random artefacts appearing. They are usually square or long stripes with some moving dots inside. Really strange. I tried to disable AdBlock but that didn't help any. I think it might to do with DivX plug-in I installed recently, but I am not sure yet.
I uploaded some sample images here: http://imgur.com/a/6DxDN

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009
Error message showing up when trying to download here - will try again tomorrow.

I'm also unable to download this update.

Getting this error:
"The operation couldn’t be completed.
(NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)"

Could be solved by:
1) Reconnecting to the Internet
2) Relaunching Mac App Store
3) Restarting the computer
4) Using "Clean My Mac" to remove the temp files.
And even if that doesn't help ("Clean My Mac" sometimes misses some temp files) :
5) Using "Find Any File" to find and manually remove the temp files, related to old version of this software

In most cases, steps 1) - 3) are enough.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I dont know.....

about Safari. Being a early adopter when Safari first goes out, in most Mac machines the thing becomes a resource hog. Too many treads here about Safari memory leaks, using too much processor and so on. Also, using a Windows PC sometimes, I am disappointed about no further development in Windows. So, I hope with the recent changes in Apple management, they deliver products that works, are efficient and sleek (mantra of Apple doing) no something to meet a deadline:):apple:

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
So, I hope with the recent changes in Apple management, they deliver products that works, are efficient and sleek (mantra of Apple doing) no something to meet a deadline:):apple:
+1
That is when we get our money's worth!

I have the exact same problem. Super annoying!
Got rid of the problem. Using Chrome:D
It is slick. The only thing I miss in it is a three finger tap to bring up the definition of a word.

allan.nyholm

macrumors 68020
Nov 22, 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
I had a different error code in relation to downloading Safari 6.0.2 and iTunes 10.7 the other day. An 'error 103' which made the software updater stop giving me the updates after none of them was installed - neither Safari nor iTunes went on to be installed when this error came up.

I went looking inside the system to try and let Mac App Store give them to me again to install, by clearing caches, but no such luck. The Software Update prefpane on the other hand said that there indeed was updates for me to install - no such thing in MAS.

I went scouring the internet for an answer and found something but really nothing related to my issue that could help me move forward. I was left no choice but to install Safari and iTunes from links provided here and from Apple.com - So thanks to those posting the link to Safari.

bronxred

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx
Speedier & More Stable...

I can't tell if I'm being psyched out by the progress bar or if Safari really is speedier with this update, but it's not crashing on me anymore. If I wasn't used to opening dozens of tabs in Chrome, I might try and switch back.

Anyone know of a good keyboard shortcut extension for Chrome to get Safari's functionality for quickly opening of your first nine bookmarks? So far all the extensions bite and it's the one thing about Safari I really miss...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.