Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last Friday's launch of the fourth-generation iPad, Apple has apparently already come close to meeting demand for the new device. As noticed by 9to5Mac, Apple is now listing all Wi-Fi models of the new iPad as "in stock" in the company's U.S. online store.

ipad_4_in_stock.jpg

The immediate availability appears to extend to a number of Apple's online stores around the world, including the U.S., Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, and Singapore. Shipping estimates remain at 3-5 business days in most of Apple's other online stores for countries where the device has launched, but it is not unusual for changes in Apple's shipping estimates to roll out to different regions on slightly different schedules.

The iPad mini remains in short supply, with Apple continuing to quote shipping estimates of two weeks for new orders of Wi-Fi models. Cellular-capable models appear to remain on track, with Apple quoting "Mid November" in the United States and "Late November" in other countries.

Article Link: Fourth-Generation iPad Models Now 'In Stock' at Many Online Apple Stores

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I think people who want iPads mostly have them and are satisfied with their current models. It may foreshadow a slower upgrade cycle on iPads versus iPhones.

gregwyattjr

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2008
Can't wait to visit the Apple Store and see how much better it is than my 3rd generation.

stewartlittle

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2008
I walked into the local Walmart last night (Markham) and they had several iPad 4's. I picked one up no problem. 498.00. Also note, I bought the Smart CASE, and it was 49.00 as opposed to 55.00 at Apple. Buying power of Wally World is strong my friends.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Thanksgiving is two weeks away

holiday sales needs to start kicking in high gear in two weeks.

I bet iPad mini will be in stock in two weeks as well.

Kenrik

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
Can't wait to visit the Apple Store and see how much better it is than my 3rd generation.

Not that much actually, no noticeable changes in size/weight and the Games I tested did not have noticeable increases in frame rates. Interesting considering that the GPU is so much better. Actually, the iPad Mini ran "MetalStorm" at a much higher framerate then the iPad 4th gen (though it looked worse due to resolution).

----------

It seems like this incremental upgrade may be easier to build, which could help AAPL meet demand.

They pretty much only changed the logic board/port. So yeah, 90% of the parts are the same.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004

Not that much actually, no noticeable changes in size/weight and the Games I tested did not have noticeable increases in frame rates. Interesting considering that the GPU is so much better. Actually, the iPad Mini ran "MetalStorm" at a much higher framerate then the iPad 4th gen (though it looked worse due to resolution).

In a few months you may notice the difference more, as games take advantage of the new chip.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
It is Magical!

It is truly magical how every single new product Apple releases goes out of stock very shortly after going on sale, creating a frenzy for people who want to be lucky enough to acquire one - only to be followed by adequate stock being available very shortly thereafter.

But one thing we can be certain of - this is NOT a marketing ploy by Apple to inflate demand.

/s

Kenrik

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2004
In a few months you may notice the difference more, as games take advantage of the new chip.

True but in a few months we will be closer to the iPad 5th gen. I think the next update will focus on size/weight and that is more important to me as a 3rd gen owner.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
It seems like this incremental upgrade may be easier to build, which could help AAPL meet demand.
That and demand for the 4th iPad is not as big as when the 3rd came out. People see it as an incremental upgrade (the new chip is quite a bit faster, so that is debatable)

Many people who wanted a retina iPad already got one, the lightning port is not much of a draw.

But it should be a good, steady seller for the holiday season.

----------

True but in a few months we will be closer to the iPad 5th gen. I think the next update will focus on size/weight and that is more important to me as a 3rd gen owner.
Great point!

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
...or more likely, no one wants one because they already have a 2 or 3, and see no reason to upgrade?

Apple rushed this out too quick without substantial upgrades to define a purchase, consumers responded appropriately.

iPad 2 had a better form factor, iPad 3 had Retina, iPad 4 has new internals. One of these is not like the other when it comes to sales.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
I JUST got my iPad 3rd gen. No way I am going to upgrade right away. Not happy that my ipad is already obsolete.

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
My third gen is perfectly fine. I'll buy the 5th gen whenever it comes out (probably in a few months or so).
Apple, would you please add a goddamn micro SD slot? /wishful thinking

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Has anyone checking it out noticed a yellowish tinge on the screen?

Several people in other threads reported that they were displeased with their new iPad 4s. They said that the iPad 3 had bright, white color saturation, whereas the new iPad 4 was yellow. They blamed it on Apple using LG screens instead of Samsung.

A few people also reported that their screens were perfectly okay.

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
Can we have a poll on who posts on here own shares in Apple and see if they ever make sensible comments? To start this off I dont own shares but if the product is a good one in my opinion I will say so, but if I think its not so good I wil also say so and maybe..No will, get lynched by the Apple share owning fan boys. Could we have a sensible debate sometime in the near future?

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
iPads starring at customers!

Who is brave enough to open their wallets without knowing the fact his brother got killed in 6 months!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
That and demand for the 4th iPad is not as big as when the 3rd came out. People see it as an incremental upgrade (the new chip is quite a bit faster, so that is debatable)

Many people who wanted a retina iPad already got one, the lightning port is not much of a draw.

But it should be a good, steady seller for the holiday season.

Yeah, that's my take. The 3rdG had some visible impact with the new display, many folks (myself included) bought as soon as they were released.

I see the 4thG buyers as a slow migration of 2nd gen owners (realizing it's not an iPad2 + retina, but a major update CPU/GPU/FFC/WIFI) and first time "full sized" tablet buyers.

Plus a few of us 3rdG owners who were OK with the "rental price" on our 3rd Gens :D (I got $460 for mine :) )

Most of the holiday tablet crowd I suspect will tend towards the smaller devices.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
I see the 4thG buyers as a slow migration of 2nd gen owners (realizing it's not an iPad2 + retina, but a major update CPU/GPU/FFC/WIFI) and first time "full sized" tablet buyers.

I fall into exactly that crowd, what is FFC btw, FaceTime HD camera? :cool:

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Can we have a poll on who posts on here own shares in Apple and see if they ever make sensible comments? To start this off I dont own shares but if the product is a good one in my opinion I will say so, but if I think its not so good I wil also say so and maybe..No will, get lynched by the Apple share owning fan boys. Could we have a sensible debate sometime in the near future?

I agree with you. I am a share holder, but I guess this upgrade just isn't that great to attract people from their iPad 2 or 3's (waiting for someone to be a nerd and correct me). Generally I, personally think of iPads as a longer term investment than iPhones even though they're cheaper. I myself own an iPad 2 and have no plans on upgrading till my iPad 2 is like the 3Gs running iOS 6, maybe there are other owners out there that feel the same way about their iPads?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.