Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Love everything about the mini apart from the screen and CPU. I had a long play with the mini and loaded a magazine onto the device and found it hard to read. Considering thats my primary use I will wait for the Retina version.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Fail. The Nexus 7 has a 1.3 mp front facing camera for Skype. It is not intended to be a camera for pictures. Fail 2 it comes with better then 3g. Fail 3 it has stereo speakers. Fail 4 the screen is crisp and clear.

Man where do people get facts from. Your entire post is a fail.

Fail 1: So you agree that Nexus has far worse camera than mini. In addition to have worse front camera, it has no back camera at all. So when you shoot by its only camera, you even can't focus on what you shooting. There is no even camera app.
Fail 2: So you agree that Nexus is thicker, heavier, has fewer apps.
Fail 3. TechRadar and Cnet review: "we were disappointed to discover the overall contrast was somewhat muted on our review unit. (It's particularly noticeable on the home screens)...the Nexus 7 seems to lack the kind of deep, rich black levels you might find on something like the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (which admittedly uses a more saturated, contrast-rich Super AMOLED display instead)."... The screen is responsive to touch and swipe, but possibly could use just a bit more sensitivity calibration, as some of my swipes would only half take.
Fail 4: Nowhere it says it has stereo. "In any case, on my loaner Nexus 7 I can't hear much of a stereo effect, even on songs with hard panning. That may explain why Google isn't making a big deal out of it".
Man, your entire post is fail.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Fail 1: So you agree that Nexus has far worse camera than mini. In addition to have worse front camera, it has no back camera at all. So when you shoot by its only camera, you even can't focus on what you shooting. There is no even camera app.
Fail 2: So you agree that Nexus is thicker, heavier, has fewer apps.
Fail 3. TechRadar and Cnet review: "we were disappointed to discover the overall contrast was somewhat muted on our review unit. (It's particularly noticeable on the home screens)...the Nexus 7 seems to lack the kind of deep, rich black levels you might find on something like the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (which admittedly uses a more saturated, contrast-rich Super AMOLED display instead)."... The screen is responsive to touch and swipe, but possibly could use just a bit more sensitivity calibration, as some of my swipes would only half take.
Fail 4: Nowhere it says it has stereo. "In any case, on my loaner Nexus 7 I can't hear much of a stereo effect, even on songs with hard panning. That may explain why Google isn't making a big deal out of it".
Man, your entire post is fail.

Dude its not a camera so why have a camera app. Its a front facing camera. No it does not have fewer apps. List the differences in apps. Apple never said the mini had stereo speakers either so what does that mean? Oh because you could not hear stereo it does not have it? Lol. You continue to post nonsense and thus fail. Thanks for the lol though.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Dude its not a camera so why have a camera app. Its a front facing camera. No it does not have fewer apps. List the differences in apps. Apple never said the mini had stereo speakers either so what does that mean? Oh because you could not hear stereo it does not have it? Lol. You continue to post nonsense and thus fail. Thanks for the lol though.

Its screen is 49% smaller than mini. And already had been said about washed colors and lack of black depth.
Camera: .. "1.2MP front-facing camera, although Google chose to eliminate the dedicated Camera app ..it does make the camera somewhat worthless for those just taking it out of the box. One can't use it with Instragram: "Unfortunately, you're likely to have far less luck with popular photo-taking apps such as Instagram. Browsing that title on Google Play throws up an error that "your device isn't compatible with this version," and we're waiting for Facebook to tweak the app accordingly."
It has fewer optimised apps (read above). About stereo: Google even won't call its stereo.

And I guess you agree that its thick, heavy and has no 3G : "the only downside of Nexus.. that it's currently limited to Wi-Fi connectivity" Even then it comes only with slowest wifi: "The tablet comes standard with 802.11b/g/n, although regrettably it's only of the 2.4GHz variety, rather than the superfast 5GHz band. " And its thicker and heavier.

Fail.

Thanks for lol.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
But is the experience on the mini significantly better that you're willing to do through your bag to get it when you want to look something up instead of using the iPhone that's already in your hand? For me the big ipad definitely is significantly better. It definitely fills the hole for me for when I'm sitting in my lounge and suddenly want to look at something on the web, but can't be bothered to get to my computer up stairs, turn it on, only to browse, and so I settle for a skimped out browser of the iPhone. Just an example. Ymmv

Amazing, that with all the myriad threads on this site discussing how people like/want/need/use a 7" device that there are people who still don't understand. Please go read some of them.

For me personally I'm not going into the details of why I wanted this sized device, but I do want to say that I don't walk around life with an iPhone in my hand, I've just simply got better things to do with life.

I am still waiting for you to start discussing the technical merits of the device. Let's start with screen resolution. How does iPad Mini resolution compare with 7" Android devices?

Tell you what, you send me a bunch of money and I'll go out and buy a bunch of different Android 7" devices and do a proper technical comparison. But here's what you're actually looking for, "It's simply superior," so you can now attack it and claim victory. That's all you're after, it's obvious.

This whole entire discussion started when you picked one sentence out of a moderately large post of mine talking about how I really don't understand people who join threads on an Apple fan site, where people are expressing excitement about Apple products, simply to attack these fans and make them feel like morons for having a positive opinion about something that is Apple.

For me this site is one that I visit several times each day, because I love Apple products. I've been a fan of Apple for a long time, and what I want is to learn more about their products (and discuss rumours). I'm not saying Apple is perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm also not on here to be attacked and ridiculed by people who derive a lot of self-worth from trashing others who hold pro-Apple opinions. I find it incredible and unbelievable, not that people have different opinions, but that they come here with a certain tone in their posts (why they even come here is worthy of a whole separate discussion). This thread is about someone expressing his *opinion* that this product is the best out there. Not one person asked what his criteria are that would make his think this, they all just started attacking and ridiculing.

What you're doing now is holding your criterium (which may not even have had anything whatsoever with the OP's decision to get this product or be a criterium the OP feels matters when judging this product or comparing it to others) and demanding I discuss it, so that you can claim victory? Well, I'm not interested in that, and I hate that this discussion has gone on so long about nothing.

If you really want to discuss the mini and why I bought mine and why I think it's wonderful, I will, but it has to be a discussion not a defend/attack exchange of words. I'm so thrilled with this product, and now I've got some homework to do, which I'm going to use my mini for, which is the main reason I bought this lovely device. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
It won't be remotely close to being considered the best device out there now until it has a higher PPI. Reading on this thing is awful.

I call shenanigans on this. The screen looks great IMO. I have no trouble seeing it or reading small print. Videos and pictures look great on it. I mean honestly, what is the standard you are holding the mini up to? I was first in line to buy one in Hawaii and played with one for an hour before I committed to buy. The screen looks great, it's snappy and quick, what do you want?

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
Its screen is 49% smaller than mini. And already had been said about washed colors and lack of black depth.
Camera: .. "1.2MP front-facing camera, although Google chose to eliminate the dedicated Camera app ..it does make the camera somewhat worthless for those just taking it out of the box. One can't use it with Instragram: "Unfortunately, you're likely to have far less luck with popular photo-taking apps such as Instagram. Browsing that title on Google Play throws up an error that "your device isn't compatible with this version," and we're waiting for Facebook to tweak the app accordingly."
It has fewer optimised apps (read above). About stereo: Google even won't call its stereo.

And I guess you agree that its thick, heavy and has no 3G : "the only downside of Nexus.. that it's currently limited to Wi-Fi connectivity" Even then it comes only with slowest wifi: "The tablet comes standard with 802.11b/g/n, although regrettably it's only of the 2.4GHz variety, rather than the superfast 5GHz band. " And its thicker and heavier.

Fail.

Thanks for lol.

only an idiot would think 40grammes makes a noticeable diffierence at the 300g weight.

Nexus 7 wifi has GPS, Theres also a 3g version released on Nov 13th for half the price of an ipad mini cell verison.

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
Attention this thread!

Does typing suck on the mini? I want to buy one because I love the concept, but I worry about typing basically iPhone style instead of naturally as if using a keyboard. Thoughts??? :confused:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Amazing, that with all the myriad threads on this site discussing how people like/want/need/use a 7" device that there are people who still don't understand. Please go read some of them.

For me personally I'm not going into the details of why I wanted this sized device, but I do want to say that I don't walk around life with an iPhone in my hand, I've just simply got better things to do with life.

Chill bro, were talking about a freaking ipad here not world religion..
But there's a flaw in your logic. You don't walk around with an iPhone cause you got better things to do in life? Like pulling an ipad mini from back pocket instead? How does that make sense lol
Mango > banana > apple > orange

Tou freaking ché

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Does typing suck on the mini? I want to buy one because I love the concept, but I worry about typing basically iPhone style instead of naturally as if using a keyboard. Thoughts??? :confused:

If you turn the mini to portrait mode, thumb typing is better than on an iPhone in landscape.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Agreed. There is something incredibly charming about the iPad mini. I spent the whole weekend playing with it, loaded up all my magazines, comics, etc and streamed video to it. Absolutely love it. I much prefer this size over the iPad.

I'm kind of in paranoid mode until the sleeve I ordered comes in though. I'm afraid to take it out of the apartment. I need to protect the precious!

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

I find I can type about the same as I can on the full size iPad. Using three fingers on each hand plus a thumb for the space bar. Probably about half as fast as I can touch type on a physical keyboard.

jimmysuggs

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Add my vote to the "i love the mini" count. Really nice device. Fun to use and I have zero problems with the screen. I could care less if they release one with retina or not, it already looks fine to me.

In fact if using retina is going to cause them to raise the price or increase the weight/thickness of the device, I'd just as soon they skip retina on future versions. I wouldn't want this thing to weigh any more or be any bigger or use power any quicker, all of which may happen when and if Apple upgrades the mini to retina.

For folks who could care less about perfect screen quality and just want a light, easy, really fun tablet, the ipad mini is just about perfect.

j.applewood

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
I find I can type about the same as I can on the full size iPad. Using three fingers on each hand plus a thumb for the space bar. Probably about half as fast as I can touch type on a physical keyboard.

I'm buying one. Went into an apple store last night and the thing is AMAZING. Done and done.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
It's a nice device, apart from the screen.

The screen borders on unusable and is definitely unacceptable for a company with display standards such as Apple.

LanEvo

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
NorCal
Idk if the Mini is the best out there, in terms of usability, smoothness, and overall experience I will say it is. But in terms of specs and physicality, that is arguable and there may or may not be better out there.

I look at overall usability and experience as my main go to.

Koziakauzu

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
So buy one next year, when the come out with a retina mini:D. I'll be holding out for that.

same here, I just put my iPad 3 for sale to replace it with a Mini today... but changed my mind after seeing the real thing in store. I like the form factor, the size, weight and materials... but the screen, my gosh :eek:, it looked like a knock-off.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I have been playing with it since yesterday at 3pm and I swear I can't put It down. I have owned every iPhone out I have the 5 right now and owned iPad 1,2 and 3rd gen with retina and have owned a 7" kindle fire and I swear this beats them all I mean even with the non retina display I find playing games,browsing the web and watching youtube videos very easy on the eyes I don't know why people are complaining apple has a big hit with this mini can't wait for mini 2.

Glad you love it!

A bit short in a few aspects, and $29 too much, but looks a fine machine.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I call shenanigans on this. The screen looks great IMO. I have no trouble seeing it or reading small print.
You don't.
Others do.

I carry all my university readings, assignments etc. everywhere with me on my iPad (3rd gen with Retina display). These usually come as A4-sized PDF files,roughly equivalent to US letter format. They look great on my iPad 3 and I can easily read them without needing to zoom in. This is really key for me, as zooming is a real pain when browsing through a document.

While I intentionally dismissed the mini's form factor for being to small and "in-between" (iPhone and iPad). However, it quite grew on me after trying it out. I think, I could even manage reading well on the smaller iPad mini, if equipped with Retina display. It's fine for internet and mail use.

But as it stands now, the mini's display is just too blurry on the fine print of a scaled A4/letter size PDF. Where I can gather most text on the Retina display at a quick glance, text just dissolves on the iPad mini. I probably might get used to it and adapt (after having had an eye injury, few people should know better than me, how people's vision can adapt). But I don't want to, having been spoilt by my current iPad.

In fact if using retina is going to cause them to raise the price or increase the weight/thickness of the device, I'd just as soon they skip retina on future versions
Personally, I'd gladly pay 150$ more for a Retina display, and just as well accept 2mm additional thickness.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.