Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Too much fragmenting in their line. Windows RT, Windows 8, now another Windows tablet that's just a game machine? Makes no sense.

agreed, this should run RT or be usable with Office at least.

Honestly, Microsoft has made great strides in simplifying their lineup, to the point where now they aren't all that much more fragmented than Apple.

Apple: iOS (with different feature sets per device), Mac OS
Microsoft: Windows RT (different features sets per device), Windows 8 (desktop versions)

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Now this is interesting. I don't care what any of you say. An XBox tablet is the move..........if done right anyway

rhuber

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2011
Honestly, Microsoft has made great strides in simplifying their lineup, to the point where now they aren't all that much more fragmented than Apple.

Apple: iOS (with different feature sets per device), Mac OS
Microsoft: Windows RT (different features sets per device), Windows 8 (desktop versions)

I think a big difference here is that, as I understand it, a Metro App (for lack of an updated term) will run on all systems - RT, Windows Pro, and Windows Phones. That's a pretty big deal to developers and consumers. WIll be interesting to see how that plays out.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Another completely different version of Windows? That's......... brave.

Windows Phone, Windows RT, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8, Windows 8 Enterprise, Windows Xbox...

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO

That was the first thing that came to mind after reading the title. :D

Anything to do with Xbox is worth reading. Microsoft has a gold mine and imo the best console on the market.

Edit: lol ***** I forgot whenever the words "best console" and "Xbox" are in the same sentence PS3 owners go into an instant rage xD

I agree... My only two beefs with the Xbox 360 are the lack of a Blu Ray player and the Netflix and Amazon Video UI on the 360 are both awful compared to the PS3.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Anything to do with Xbox is worth reading. Microsoft has a gold mine and imo the best console on the market.

Edit: lol ***** I forgot whenever the words "best console" and "Xbox" are in the same sentence PS3 owners go into an instant rage xD

Had three of them that went up in smoke. Bad manufacturing and lousy console. Only thing thats going for them is their "Live" features.

----------

This whole gaming on a "touch" device is getting tired. You can never get a control as precise as having real controls. Touching things can only get you so far.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I think a big difference here is that, as I understand it, a Metro App (for lack of an updated term) will run on all systems - RT, Windows Pro, and Windows Phones. That's a pretty big deal to developers and consumers. WIll be interesting to see how that plays out.

That is correct. MS is laying the ground work for becoming a player in mobile, tablet, and even lap top markets. We will see how well they market themselves.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Too much fragmenting in their line. Windows RT, Windows 8, now another Windows tablet that's just a game machine? Makes no sense.

Coming from a fan of a company that sells a phone, a music player, a tablet and computers? Different products are different products are different products. Xbox has always been running a scaled down version of "windows" (not quite true, but probably as true as the Xbox Surface doing so).

That said, I truly hope that they pair this with a business-oriented 7" tablet as well.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011

Undoubtedly so. WinRT is the way forward for MSFT. A very powerful way forward, i might add.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
I wish apple made a real run at gaming. An iPad hooked up to a TV with a controller or AppleTV with full gaming capabilities could be a nice addition to the apple ecosystem.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
Another version

Okay, a 3rd version for their tablet? That is just crazy. What a mess

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Had three of them that went up in smoke. Bad manufacturing and lousy console. Only thing thats going for them is their "Live" features.

----------

This whole gaming on a "touch" device is getting tired. You can never get a control as precise as having real controls. Touching things can only get you so far.

While in partial agreement, the problem is not tablet gaming, but non-tablet games being "ported" to tablet environment. A different UI-paradigm calls for different kind of games. Sadly, far too many developers have yet to realize this.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo

----------

Well unlike others I like your opinion. Because I had 4 give me the red rings or whatever. Though that really was just an early console problem. Haven't had a single error with my current console that I've had for a couple years. Were those consoles in the time frame when the xbox was released?

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!

Thanks for the laugh :)

Why are you laughing? Xbox is the one thing MS has gone absolutely right. It makes a ton of money for MS, generates more revenue than competing consoles, and has such a good UI that (like Metro or not) inspired the UI for all other MS OSs.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
In many ways, they already have.

I saw an advert the other day that was advertising Xbox. Not a single console was featured in it. Instead it was:

Here's surface,
and here is also a surface,
oh and over there, a surface,
surface,
final screen xbox

Why advertise what people already know is there? o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.