Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I am going to be traveling tonight (election night) and I want to keep up to date with the election results as they roll in. Can anybody recommend some good websites / apps that give good mobile friendly election results? I remember last year, there were a bunch of sites which were flash only and didn't work on my iPhone. Maybe most of them will support html5 this year but who knows. I downloaded one app which was recommended by tuaw (election 2012) but it seems like it just has news, not actual results. I picture something with a map of each state showing the percentage of votes counted, results etc.

thanks! :)

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I am going to be traveling tonight (election night) and I want to keep up to date with the election results as they roll in. Can anybody recommend some good websites / apps that give good mobile friendly election results? I remember last year, there were a bunch of sites which were flash only and didn't work on my iPhone. Maybe most of them will support html5 this year but who knows. I downloaded one app which was recommended by tuaw (election 2012) but it seems like it just has news, not actual results. I picture something with a map of each state showing the percentage of votes counted, results etc.

thanks! :)

The CNN "portal" mentioned below is optimized for iPhone but doesn't appear to include the map that is available via the full site:

News, poll results, and facts

CBS News (Free, iOS/Android) - CBS News (disclaimer: CBS is CNET's parent company) offers solid election night coverage.

CNN (Free, iOS/Android) - CNN's app offers a wealth of information from its array of correspondents covering the election results. The app provides a live feed of the network (if your TV provider allows) for those who can't access a boob tube. Check out CNN's 2012 Election Races and Results portal -- widely considered as a trustworthy and steadfast source for voting results as they come in -- available to view in any browser (including those on mobile devices).

Honorary mention: Most news outlets carry the latest Election Day coverage as it boils on into the evening, including NBC News, NPR, Associated Press, ABC, Fox News, Politico, New York Times, the Washington Post, The New Yorker, BBC, and many more.
Source: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57545282-1/our-favorite-free-apps-for-election-day-2012/

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I've used http://www.electoral-vote.com since 2004 (while working elections during 2 of those cycles) and seems the best to me. They also apparently have a mobile app these days.

On a side note, I don't care what your political leaning is, please go vote. It's important and it's your civic duty. Please, please participate in the election.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I've used http://www.electoral-vote.com since 2004 (while working elections during 2 of those cycles) and seems the best to me. They also apparently have a mobile app these days.

On a side note, I don't care what your political leaning is, please go vote. It's important and it's your civic duty. Please, please participate in the election.

Most of the news apps should show the results.

I have to disagree with the "just go vote" statement. Instead, research the candidates and then vote. Voting without researching is much worse. If you don't want to spend the time researching, please don't vote.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Most of the news apps should show the results.

I have to disagree with the "just go vote" statement. Instead, research the candidates and then vote. Voting without researching is much worse. If you don't want to spend the time researching, please don't vote.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to say "educate yourself and then vote" but yes, I agree.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Thanks guys. I ended up using the Politico.com app. I don't really like Politico's reporting, and the map wasn't as nice as I would have liked (not HTML5, not cocoa native, just a webpage embedded in an app), but it did the trick. Maybe next election we'll have some nicer election tracking apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.