Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
I think a big difference here is that, as I understand it, a Metro App (for lack of an updated term) will run on all systems - RT, Windows Pro, and Windows Phones. That's a pretty big deal to developers and consumers. WIll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Oversimplification. But yes, going forward all devices will build on WinRT allowing for easier cross-"platform" development.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
Maybe it will look something like this? http://www.razerzone.com/projectfiona

That looks like a fun toy but the controllers seem oddly placed. I love their tagline, though: "This first-of-its-kind PC gaming tablet with integrated dual controllers is definitely not for playing casual games about unhappy birds or zombie-killing flora."

As for the Xbox U :)p), I'm too old to play with controllers. I'm from the past generation, the one that pwns with an uber micro composed of a keyboard and a mouse.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Read the power output. That's a console's specs. Not a tablets. Come on, Macrumors. Learn to read.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Smart. If Microsoft makes this 1:1 compatible with the Xbox console, or even eliminates the console altogether. This is where gaming is headed; the upgrade cycles in consoles are too slow in dedicated gaming machines leaving mobile devices to rapidly gain ground – there was no iPhone when either the Xbox or PS3 were released.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Well unlike others I like your opinion. Because I had 4 give me the red rings or whatever. Though that really was just an early console problem. Haven't had a single error with my current console that I've had for a couple years. Were those consoles in the time frame when the xbox was released?

Sony had a lot of issues with their early consoles as well. First-gen consoles tend to create a **** ton of heat. **** ton of heat tend to have bad effects. Bad effects over time tend to make for broken down consoles. Doesn't help that people place their consoles in environments were they easily overheat as well.

Given the advances in base technology, i doubt either console has any real issues as of date.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Bringing the XBox to the Surface is one of the few things MS can do to differentiate itself from the other tablets and make it appealing to the younger gaming crowd.

However... how far can you go with a touch interface that will make it something so "wow" that everyone will have to have one? It will be interesting to see what they come up with... if the Surface is a "fail" MS is in trouble... or at least it should be Ballmer's last shot. Amazing he's survived this long given Vista and other missed opportunities.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Well unlike others I like your opinion. Because I had 4 give me the red rings or whatever. Though that really was just an early console problem. Haven't had a single error with my current console that I've had for a couple years. Were those consoles in the time frame when the xbox was released?

We bought three of them for family members and each one of them had the ring of death over the course of 3 years. Sent all three for a 130 dollar repair to Microsoft. Something about reseating the graphics card inside the box. Then they ran for a year and went kaput again. So they are all in the attic now.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Smart. If Microsoft makes this 1:1 compatible with the Xbox console, or even eliminates the console altogether. This is where gaming is headed; the upgrade cycles in consoles are too slow in dedicated gaming machines leaving mobile devices to rapidly gain ground – there was no iPhone when either the Xbox or PS3 were released.

I fail to understand your reasoning. Why are slow upgrade cycles a negative? If anything, real life data points us in the opposite direction: stability is what creates the economy, without it, the gaming industry would be radically different. We're talking about massive investments into a particular technology here. How are those to be sustained within the "app-conomy"?

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
We bought three of them for family members and each one of them had the ring of death over the course of 3 years. Sent all three for a 130 dollar repair to Microsoft. Something about reseating the graphics card inside the box. Then they ran for a year and went kaput again. So they are all in the attic now.

You failed to address the question about console-generation. Were these early versions of the xbox?

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
While in partial agreement, the problem is not tablet gaming, but non-tablet games being "ported" to tablet environment. A different UI-paradigm calls for different kind of games. Sadly, far too many developers have yet to realize this.

I agree. But even if say your wrote a game tailored to touch devices how fine a control can you have over the game?

Touching and sliding your fingers over virtual controls is always not perfect.

Unless, the games don't need finer controls and just a binary state would suffice.

The best game for touch I can imagine is Nintendo's Mario - March of the mini's. All you do even there is draw ladders and undraw them. Its more of a logical game than say a game that needs fine controls.

And having downloaded a ton of them on the iPad, I can still say that no one has gotten it right yet. All of them get pretty boring or frustrating after a while.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Bringing the XBox to the Surface is one of the few things MS can do to differentiate itself from the other tablets and make it appealing to the younger gaming crowd.

However... how far can you go with a touch interface that will make it something so "wow" that everyone will have to have one? It will be interesting to see what they come up with... if the Surface is a "fail" MS is in trouble... or at least it should be Ballmer's last shot. Amazing he's survived this long given Vista and other missed opportunities.

MSFT is not in any trouble if the Surface is a dud. MSFT is in trouble if W8 is a dud. Big difference.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
This whole gaming on a "touch" device is getting tired. You can never get a control as precise as having real controls. Touching things can only get you so far.

Pretty sure that's about the same response a lot of naysayers said about tablets in general.

Good thing you're not the visionary at the helm of a large company...

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
I agree. But even if say your wrote a game tailored to touch devices how fine a control can you have over the game?

Touching and sliding your fingers over virtual controls is always not perfect.

Unless, the games don't need finer controls and just a binary state would suffice.

The best game for touch I can imagine is Nintendo's Mario - March of the mini's. All you do even there is draw ladders and undraw them. Its more of a logical game than say a game that needs fine controls.

And having downloaded a ton of them on the iPad, I can still say that no one has gotten it right yet. All of them get pretty boring or frustrating after a while.

Let me answer your question with a question, why are "you" "designing around" the limitations of the ui-paradigm rather than "designing on" its strengths? If a tablet is limited in fine interactions, you should not create games depending on them. Simple, really. There are so many ways forward for touch gaming; clinging to old-world paradigms is not one of them. Its the equivalent of putting a ****ing desktop in a tablet computer (regardless of whether its done as in iOS or WinRT). Makes no sense*.

* In MSFTs defense, W8 tablets will mostly be hybrids, thus supporting dual modes of interacting. This is perfectly fine. The desktop metaphor still has uses. Good uses, i might add. But one needs to recognize that different things are indeed different.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
If it doesn't have any buttons or a D-pad, I won't bother giving it a second look. I've yet to play a tablet based game that has held my interest for longer than 5 minutes (Angry Bird: Spaces holds the record of 4 mins, 37 secs:p)

No buttons = no interest.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
MSFT is not in any trouble if the Surface is a dud. MSFT is in trouble if W8 is a dud. Big difference.

I have been working on MSFT since OS/2 and while I liked their progression all along. Was really impressed with Windows 7 and it would be hard to argue that Mac OS is better.

Then.. I stumbled into Windows 8.. and I have to wonder.. What the heck is MS thinking. Its a new direction for their tablets, I agree. But to put it on a desktop? Even Apple has left the desktop intact minus the launchpad which is still an option.

MSFT is over doing it, IMHO.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Let me answer your question with a question, why are "you" "designing around" the limitations of the ui-paradigm rather than "designing on" its strengths? If a tablet is limited in fine interactions, you should not create games depending on them. Simple, really. There are so many ways forward for touch gaming; clinging to old-world paradigms is not one of them. Its the equivalent of putting a ****ing desktop in a tablet computer (regardless of whether its done as in iOS or WinRT). Makes no sense*.

* In MSFTs defense, W8 tablets will mostly be hybrids, thus supporting dual modes of interacting. This is perfectly fine. The desktop metaphor still has uses. Good uses, i might add. But one needs to recognize that different things are indeed different.

Touch Gaming!! So all that marvelous screen and processing power to just tap on things? I think we have progressed from such a scenario since the 70's. No?

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
I have been working on MSFT since OS/2 and while I liked their progression all along. Was really impressed with Windows 7 and it would be hard to argue that Mac OS is better.

Then.. I stumbled into Windows 8.. and I have to wonder.. What the heck is MS thinking. Its a new direction for their tablets, I agree. But to put it on a desktop? Even Apple has left the desktop intact minus the launchpad which is still an option.

MSFT is over doing it, IMHO.

Windows 7 is great. Windows 8 is great. I think you are constructing a problem, really. What is your main beef? It cant be starting applications, that is easy. It cant be the desktop, its improved. So what is it? Having something extra that you currently fail to see how you can use? Well, then, dont use it? o_O

Buy a track pad, or a touch-enabled mouse. Problem solved.

----------

Touch Gaming!! So all that marvelous screen and processing power to just tap on things? I think we have progressed from such a scenario since the 70's. No?

Look at what MSFT is doing with the-product-formerly-known-as-surface. As far as UI goes, i'd say its richer than any console controller that i have ever used. That you restrict yourself to "tapping on things" does not mean that the material as such is similarly restricted. That is my answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.