Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mavrick1903

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
Wondering what the thoughts are these days on Applecare. Just moved from iPhone4 to iPhone5 (AT&T). Diddnt do Applecare last time ($69 back then) wondering if it's something I should be reconsidering.

Forgive if this is overasked.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Apple Care or Apple Care+? I think AC+ is worth it if you're clumsy with your phone.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I think AC+ is totally worth it. You get two "accidents" and an extended warranty. And, if you sell your device after a year or so, Apple will refund you the remainder of the AC+ warranty.

AC+ is just a good peace of mind.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
I think AC+ is totally worth it. You get two "accidents" and an extended warranty. And, if you sell your device after a year or so, Apple will refund you the remainder of the AC+ warranty.

Yes but there is a $49 service fee for each of the 2 accidental damage replacements. I think it is still great for peace of mind.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Yes but there is a $49 service fee for each of the 2 accidental damage replacements. I think it is still great for peace of mind.

It's true there is. Yet the one time I used it, that was waived.
But yes. There is. Thanks for reminding me.

Still much cheaper than buying a device at full price.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Totally worth it for the reasons mentioned. I've had issues with every iPhone I've owned (all but the 3GS) and because of AppleCare they've all been replaced for free. No other warranty comes close in my opinion.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Totally worth it for the reasons mentioned. I've had issues with every iPhone I've owned (all but the 3GS) and because of AppleCare they've all been replaced for free. No other warranty comes close in my opinion.

Square Trade.
$99.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
So if i have applecare+ and drop my phone in the toilet... apple will replace a brand new one for extra 50?

Newbie MacUser

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2012
Wondering what the thoughts are these days on Applecare. Just moved from iPhone4 to iPhone5 (AT&T). Diddnt do Applecare last time ($69 back then) wondering if it's something I should be reconsidering.

Forgive if this is overasked.

Why don't you just get the Zagg Invisible Shield Extreme for iPhone 5 (screen protected against shattering) and has lifetime replacements on the Invisible shield?

Thats what I did...I'm safe as long as I don't get it exposed to liquid.

Dreamer216

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
NYC
But what about when your phone is lost and stolen?

Insurance is a good cover for that Asurion or home insurance.

So Applecare+ and insurance is true peace of mind.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal
What about Square Trade, you get four replacements... same price.

And what about theft? I don't think either covers that, however I do have business insurance that should cover it.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
ST covers up to 650$ last I read, ONCE.

Is this not still the case?

Up to Four Repairs or Replacements

While lightning rarely strikes twice, accidents sometimes do. That's why we've got your back even if something goes wrong... again.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Does SquareTrade use Apple authorized parts?

Only Apple has OEM parts.

You Choose Where to Fix It

Send it to our repair depot (we pay for shipping), or take it to your local Genius Bar or repair shop. No matter where you pick, we cover the cost.

Bryanw3535

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Let's forget about the warranty aspects of AppleCare+ for a sec and just look at the "catastrophic damage" bit.

Basically, your out-of-pocket costs are ...
With AppleCare+
If you break your phone 0 times over 2 years: $99
If you break your phone 1 time over 2 years: $148
If you break your phone 2 times over 2 years: $197

Without AppleCare+
If you break your phone 0 times over 2 years: $0
If you break your phone 1 time over 2 years: $229
If you break your phone 2 times over 2 years: $458

The potential savings are big, but only if you're careless with your phone. Did I do all that right?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Let's forget about the warranty aspects of AppleCare+ for a sec and just look at the "catastrophic damage" bit.

Basically, your out-of-pocket costs are ...
With AppleCare+
If you break your phone 0 times over 2 years: $99
If you break your phone 1 time over 2 years: $148
If you break your phone 2 times over 2 years: $197

Without AppleCare+
If you break your phone 0 times over 2 years: $0
If you break your phone 1 time over 2 years: $229
If you break your phone 2 times over 2 years: $458

The potential savings are big, but only if you're careless with your phone. Did I do all that right?
I've only broken mine once. All the rest were hardware defects that cropped up, generally dealing with the screen.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I didn't get it, because with my 5 iPods, 3 iPhones and 3 Macs that I've owned over 10 years of buying Apple stuff, I've had a problem with 1 iPod (an iPod photo which's HDD died after about 3 years) and 1 Mac (a Powerbook which needed the trackpad replaced within the first year).
I've never bought an extended warranty, and had I, would have never used it.
Applecare+ is $99 plus $49 for a replacement = $148. It's $229 for a replacement without Applecare. If I ruin this phone, the $81 excess I'll be paying will still leave me way ahead than if I had bought Applecare over the years.
I'll just take my chances, and if I do ruin this phone and need a new one, I'll put it in an otterbox.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

You can get the replacment for $200 regardless.

$100 Applecare+$49 fee=$149. Doesn't really seem worth it to me, since the chance of dropping is so low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.