Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Just curious if anyone here knows why Apple didn't make the 13" RMBP as thin as the 15" RMBP. Does anyone know if there is something within the 13" model that Apple had no choice to make it thicker than the 15" model?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Less room to fit stuff in. Has the same components but not as wide.

Actually if you look at the iFixit teardown they say there's empty space inside the 13" which is very un-Apple. And given the fact there's no secondary GPU as in the 15" there's less space needed on the logic board which means smaller also.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
The whole assembly is still quite big with those two fans while all other 13" Apple Notebooks have only one. Next they had to fit some big battery to handle the higher power consumption of the new Display.
The missing GPU doesn't save all that much space there is still loads of stuff that needs to fit on the logic board. So all in all it just worked out to be less space.
Stuff like the Keyboard, Touchpad, even speakers take relatively more space in the small notebook. The cooling system doesn't look like it shrank enough compared to its 15" counterpart. The have to design all as small as possible and than fill the rest with battery. If that battery is to weak all they can do is make the battery thicker.
I guess they designed for the same thickness as the 15" but ended up with too weak a battery so they had to add thickness to but in a fat battery. 1mm makes a lot of difference for the battery.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
17"

that is why a 17" MBP would be the perfect size to fit all that powerful stuff inside of and still be so portable for a MBP.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Because there are more important things in life than a device that's .04" thicker than another?

There are more important things in life then 99.9% of what's discussed or displayed on the Internet. This is a Mac forum, people should be able to ask a question about a mac without someone bringing up "third world problems".

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Just curious if anyone here knows why Apple didn't make the 13" RMBP as thin as the 15" RMBP. Does anyone know if there is something within the 13" model that Apple had no choice to make it thicker than the 15" model?

My guess is that it's air flow.

The 15" rMBP can use the speaker grilles as well as the additional length (longer vent at the hinge area) for more air flow.

In contrast, the 13" rMBP has smaller fans, no speaker grilles, and more tightly packed components, so they might have elected to make it 1mm thicker to offset some space and allow air to flow more freely.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Ah I see, this makes sense. I completely overlooked and forgot about the 15" and it's speakers.

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
that is why a 17" MBP would be the perfect size to fit all that powerful stuff inside of and still be so portable for a MBP.

I love how there's always someone who, no matter what topic and without any apparent reason, comes around saying how the discontinued 17" cMBP is the best notebook ever :)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Everybody think there is always some metaphysical reason why something happens. It makes for conversations I guess.

U ask a singer, why do you used that name? is he an old flame? a special person in your life who inspired you to write this song? and She may honestly tell you, NO IT JUST RHYMED!

The box maybe thicker just because the stamp machine had that die on hand and why fuss for another 1mm? ;)

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
why fuss for another 1mm? ;)

Seriously now, + or - 1mm is A LOT !!! Just think about it... currently, it might be thick enough to rip the finest of envelops that one carries it around in... What was Apple thinking?! :mad:

Now I have to keep on sending it back until I get a 13" rMBP that is 1mm thinner than the one I have... I also hope I get a Blingsung displays next time because I heard they are 1mm thinner than the Lucky-Goldfish displays and don't come with the bonus "phantom feature" ( yeah, it's an overrated bonus feature )!

* fingers crossed *

PS: Any "decently heavy" guys around here? In case the above fails, maybe someone can sit on it for a couple of hours an flatten it by 1mm... Will pay in hamburgers and beer for the help!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Oh stop already with that 17" preaching, practically nobody was buying the damn thing.

OT: Apple changed the design a bit, moving the SSD and battery, maybe that's a factor? They definitely had some problems with designing the thing, there is some reason why it took so long...

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I think it's the placement of the batteries. Two of them aren't glued on, but instead held to a metal frame - that probably added some thickness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.