Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajkr711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Michigan/USA
I'm struggling a little bit with this decision. If I were to go the refurb route, I would definitely get the 32gb version. If I go with the new iPad 4, I'm on the fence as to whether I would get the 16gb or 32gb version.

I know the display is pretty much the same and I've read that the lightning connector may actually be a bad thing for right now (no accessories), but I've also read that the new iPad is a lot faster, which would be the most important piece to me.

My question, is it worth the extra money for the new versus a refurb? I would still get AppleCare with either version.

Any suggestions are welcome.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
FFS make up your minf ! :eek: the are the same thing, one small the other big !

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Just get the refurb. Hell, next Fall, the iPad 5 will be redesigned to look more like the Mini/iPhone 5 anyway.

dthree36

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Get what's newest and greatest... it will have the better resale value when it comes time to buy the next version of the iPad. If your going retina, the 16 might be a bit small for all those retina enable apps. Unless you are discipled and keep apps to a minimum on your device.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Tough choice! I would go for the refurb if you have 4/4S. If you have iP5 then get the iPad 4. Keeps the cables easier to manage this way.

ppark

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2011
Chicago
I just got the iPad 3 refurbished. Figured when the 5 comes out, I can sell it for like 300-350-ish since I got it for $379 the loss won't be too bad at all. I don't do anything too graphic intensive/demanding so I opted for the 3.

ajkr711

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2012
Michigan/USA
Thanks for the suggestions. I would probably not upgrade to the next iPad version (which would lean me toward the iPad 4), but also don't plan on updating my iPhone 4S anytime soon either (which would lean me toward the iPad 3 Refurb due to the same connector). I don't feel the need to have EVERY version of EVERY product, but instead, buy what I need and then keep it until it's lived a useful life and see what I can get out of it.

I'm leaning towards the 32gb version, which would mean a price difference of $130 (not incl tax).

There is a chance I could do some minor photo/video editing, which leans me towards the iPad 4, along with controlling home theater, email, web browsing and some pages/numbers/keynote stuff.

caughtintheweb

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
Well, its always a question depending on how much is the extra money worth to you. I decided to go with the ipad 4 because I felt $130 was not that big a difference at least for me. If it was $200 then I would have gone for the ipad 3 refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.