Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I have a 32gb Verizon black ipad 3 and a black and slate 32gb ipad mini. I will be keeping both.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Have a 3 gave to my wife in favor of a 4 and bought us both Mini's (LTE versions so still waiting)...We intend to keep both...

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
I have a LTE ipad 3 from work and an LTE mini on order. I got a mini wifi on friday just to try it out to see if I wanted to proceed with the LTE one.

Haven't picked up the iPad 3 since I got the mini. I will be returning it to my employer as the mini will travel much easier and just works for me better.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Questions for you guys:
Is this a little overkill?
When would you choose the smaller iPad over the bigger one?
When you go out? But then doesn't your iPhones/smartphones do your going out surfing?
When you are at home and you have 3 iPads, which one would you choose to use?
Does your family even need to turn on a computer to surf the net now?

And when you go out, you are just driving right? So when would you really get to use it? If you take transit, it could make sense, but I think the iPhone fills that niche.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Questions for you guys:
Is this a little overkill?
When would you choose the smaller iPad over the bigger one?
When you go out? But then doesn't your iPhones/smartphones do your going out surfing?
When you are at home and you have 3 iPads, which one would you choose to use?
Does your family even need to turn on a computer to surf the net now?

And when you go out, you are just driving right? So when would you really get to use it? If you take transit, it could make sense, but I think the iPhone fills that niche.

These questions don't have logical/rational answers, so not sure what you are expecting to hear. :)

schulzmc

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
Have both - but will be selling the full size iPad. I haven't used it since last Friday.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I have a 32GB 3 and a 16GB mini. Not sure if I'm keeping the 3 yet or not. I'm keeping the Mini, although I may swap it for an LTE model.

nidserz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
Dubai x Toronto
I'm with a couple of the above, curious to know what you guys are using your ipads for if you have multiple?
When do you reach for an iPad 3/4 vs. iPad Mini?

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
These questions don't have logical/rational answers, so not sure what you are expecting to hear. :)

I suppose "love" cannot be explained..

I was just curious as I haven't played with the mini yet, but want to know if I would use both devices..

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Both but plan on selling 3rd gen. Seems huge now and I have my rMBP if I need a bigger screen or movies on the go

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
I have an iPad 3 and a mini. I'm not ready to get rid of the 3 yet, mainly because of the unlimited data I still have on it and its not worth as much resale as it did before 4 came out.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
Questions for you guys:
Is this a little overkill? NOPE!
When would you choose the smaller iPad over the bigger one? Laying on the couch, streaming additional football games, working on Excel/Word Documents: iPad 4.....Going to the mall with your wife while she shops, going to the local sports bar, on a short work trip:Mini
When you go out? But then doesn't your iPhones/smartphones do your going out surfing? Too Small, hate holding so close and straining to see or do multiple tasks
When you are at home and you have 3 iPads, which one would you choose to use? See Question 1...add in there certain gaming aspects, depending on what games you want to play might help determine which one to use. With airplay and the size of the mini, makes it a great controller for the big screen
Does your family even need to turn on a computer to surf the net now?NOPE...only work with pictures, music and movies on the desktop as a server

And when you go out, you are just driving right? So when would you really get to use it? If you take transit, it could make sense, but I think the iPhone fills that niche.N/A, dont txt and drive

See above in red

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Have an iPad 3 LTE 64 GB, a Nexus 7 and just picked up a iPad Mini 64 GB. Test driving the Mini for a few reasons: may pick a couple up for my kids, may just replace my iPad 3 outright (love it but seems huge now and I have a desktop and MBA at home), may get one for my Mom.

FWIW, I spent a bunch of time comparing my current iPad 3 to both a Mini and an iPad 4 in the Apple store today--ran the same apps side by side and while I never felt the iPad 3 felt slow, the new iPad 4 is noticeably faster, especially in more intensive apps (games, iPhoto, iMovie, iWorks) and the iPad Mini even seemed to launch apps a touch quicker.

Ideally, I'll replace the iPad 3 with the Mini but if I decide to go that route, I'll return this wifi only model and pick up an LTE version.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I definitely will be picking up a wifi model for the house, and gonna keep my full sized 3, because I use it for work.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
Last night was the first time I'd picked up our iPad 2 since getting the mini on Saturday. And then, the reason was because the mini was charging.

Can see us off loading the 2 and when/if a Retina mini comes out we'll buy that to go with our current new mini.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
I have ipad 1st Generation & iPad mini i cannot believe how slow my iPad 1st generation is compared to the mini for doing things.I love the fact that the mini is compact and that it fits in a jacket pocket when you are traveling around the place a lot better then a regular size iPad well i think so personally each to there own what ones prefers of coarse.I will use the mini when i'am out and about but when i'am home i be using the iPad 1st generation for watching Tv,Tv Series,Movies.Over the last few days i just think the mini is just not quite there to watch movies on the move personally i prefer the 9'7 inch iPad for that sort of thing but anything esle the mini is a perfect.I'am hoping next year in the new iPad that they make the new iPad with a bigger screen just like they did with the iPhone5.Then i be retiring the iPad 1st generation for good then using the latest one for purely just for Media uses only.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
I have ipad 1st Generation & iPad mini i cannot believe how slow my iPad 1st generation is compared to the mini for doing things.I love the fact that the mini is compact and that it fits in a jacket pocket when you are traveling around the place a lot better then a regular size iPad well i think so personally each to there own what ones prefers of coarse.I will use the mini when i'am out and about but when i'am home i be using the iPad 1st generation for watching Tv,Tv Series,Movies.Over the last few days i just think the mini is just not quite there to watch movies on the move personally i prefer the 9'7 inch iPad for that sort of thing but anything esle the mini is a perfect.I'am hoping next year in the new iPad that they make the new iPad with a bigger screen just like they did with the iPhone5.Then i be retiring the iPad 1st generation for good then using the latest one for purely just for Media uses only.

You must have big pockets. Our mini is nowhere near small enough to fit in any of our pockets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.